Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2023, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by char777
Thanks for that detail. I was not aware. I was curious as I'm flying AKL-SFO with my parents next month. I'm getting off at SFO as I live here, but they then have a flight to DEN 1h40m later. I would have tried to help them re-check their bags in G, but now I guess I know better. I am mulling whether I should rebook them onto a later flight.
That's a completely different situation. After customs, they should turn left and then left again and you'll come to the connecting flight bag drop area. This is in the international terminal, but it's separate from the international check-in counters (on a different floor). Presuming their bags are already tagged (which they will be automatically it's one ticket, or you can ask for them to be if it's two), then they can just drop them there and head to security.
kevino, SPN Lifer, char777 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert
It's been stated previously that there is no conveyor belt system between the Intl G check-in desks and Terminal 3, so any bags checked there need to be manually transported over so they prefer not to do it. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it would support the stories that some people have been able to check bags there, whilst others have been rejected.
There was a recent post in the SFO Connections thread reporting no issue checking at Int'l for a domestic flight. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-...ic-flight.html
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by invisible
That supports the situation my wife had today - she arrived at G with SQ and had separate ticket with UA departing from T3. After picking up her luggage she went left instead of exiting to drop her bags for UA's flight but was told to take bags to T3 instead. So had to exit and push the cart from G to T3.
That's actually a different situation. After exiting the arrivals/customs area, the bag drop area she came to would be the "re-check" area, which is on the floor below the main international check-in area that I mentioned. They will absolutely accept bags there for domestic flights, but they can only accept bags that are already tagged - which presumably hers were not. Without them being already tagged she will need to head to one of the check-in counters in T3. (As mentioned above, they *might* have accepted them at the international check-in area if she had gone up one level to it, but there's no point when connecting to a domestic flight as it's easier to just take them over to T3.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: UA MM
That's actually a different situation. After exiting the arrivals/customs area, the bag drop area she came to would be the "re-check" area, which is on the floor below the main international check-in area that I mentioned. They will absolutely accept bags there for domestic flights, but they can only accept bags that are already tagged - which presumably hers were not. Without them being already tagged she will need to head to one of the check-in counters in T3. (As mentioned above, they *might* have accepted them at the international check-in area if she had gone up one level to it, but there's no point when connecting to a domestic flight as it's easier to just take them over to T3.
That's different than what several have posted here before though I don't know if any were referring to SFO. There have been multiple cases of bags being rechecked at the UA bag drop when the bags were not originally checked through to the final destination. Maybe UA is trying to shut that down?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That's different than what several have posted here before though I don't know if any were referring to SFO. There have been multiple cases of bags being rechecked at the UA bag drop when the bags were not originally checked through to the final destination. Maybe UA is trying to shut that down?
I'm SFO based (and generally don't check bags) so I can't speak from personal experience, however I do walk past the recheck area occasionally. There are a whole row of "check-in" desks towards the back of the area, but the vast majority of the time they are unmanned. Instead there's just a few people with hand-held scanners at the drop-off point. If your bags are tagged, they get scanned and onto the belt. If they aren't tagged, you get sent off to T3.

If the desk at the transfer area is manned then it's possible they will allow you to check-in there, but at least from what I've seen, it's very rarely manned (and never more than 1 desk that's manned).
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm SFO based (and generally don't check bags) so I can't speak from personal experience, however I do walk past the recheck area occasionally. There are a whole row of "check-in" desks towards the back of the area, but the vast majority of the time they are unmanned. Instead there's just a few people with hand-held scanners at the drop-off point. If your bags are tagged, they get scanned and onto the belt. If they aren't tagged, you get sent off to T3.

If the desk at the transfer area is manned then it's possible they will allow you to check-in there, but at least from what I've seen, it's very rarely manned (and never more than 1 desk that's manned).
That's unfortunate. It wasn't all that long ago I checked a bag which I had as an inbound carry-on at the IAD midfield FIS bag drop.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:40 am

Transiting at SFO int to dom on 1 ticket

I'm transiting int to dom on 1 ticket on UA at SFO. Have a bit over 2 hours. Is it easy at SFO ? Also am using a frequent flyer ticket & can't do seating yet. When does UA open up paid seats before departure ? I think qantas does it 80 hours before. Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2023, 7:02 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by JohnnyMB
I'm transiting int to dom on 1 ticket on UA at SFO. Have a bit over 2 hours. Is it easy at SFO ? Also am using a frequent flyer ticket & can't do seating yet. When does UA open up paid seats before departure ? I think qantas does it 80 hours before. Thanks
It is not difficult and you should be OK if your incoming flight is on time. How quick you get through depends on a lot of details we don't have for you, Global Entry, US or foreign passport, status for TSA. Since it is one ticket, UA will rebook you if you misconnect.

For seats, are you saying that when you go to United.com you cannot select seats on your award ticket?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
If you don't have Global Entry, use the Mobile Passport option on your phone. I did that last time I transited SFO as I had 3 non-global entry people traveling in my party and we were through in under 10 minutes.

The bigger issue on that trip was the conveyor broke at UA's baggage recheck so we had to carry it up to the regular check in counters.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That's unfortunate. It wasn't all that long ago I checked a bag which I had as an inbound carry-on at the IAD midfield FIS bag drop.
I could certainly see IAD Midfield being different, as it's at best difficult to get to the "normal" check-in area from there. Duty Free liquids alone likely makes the use case you mentioned something that happens frequently, whereas at SFO they could just send the person off to the check-in counters to handle.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
If you don't have Global Entry, use the Mobile Passport option on your phone. I did that last time I transited SFO as I had 3 non-global entry people traveling in my party and we were through in under 10 minutes.

The bigger issue on that trip was the conveyor broke at UA's baggage recheck so we had to carry it up to the regular check in counters.
I did this last week and was faced with a 2 hour passport queue so UA rebooked me on a later flight.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
That's actually a different situation. After exiting the arrivals/customs area, the bag drop area she came to would be the "re-check" area, which is on the floor below the main international check-in area that I mentioned. They will absolutely accept bags there for domestic flights, but they can only accept bags that are already tagged - which presumably hers were not. Without them being already tagged she will need to head to one of the check-in counters in T3.
That's was the case. Because it was two separate flights, not on one ticket, her bags were tagged only to SFO and she has not checked in to her UA flight. So she has to take her cart to T3 and do bag drop and check in there.

Now, in the light of other posts in this thread, she should be instead going outside, take elevator to upper floor, check bags at UA counter at Terminal G, go to the security there as well and walk to F gates. But we did not know all this until reading this tread.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
But we did not know all this until reading this tread.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
It's been stated previously that there is no conveyor belt system between the Intl G check-in desks and Terminal 3, so any bags checked there need to be manually transported over so they prefer not to do it. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it would support the stories that some people have been able to check bags there, whilst others have been rejected.
Really? I would not normally think so. All the luggage from inbound international flights is dropped off under Terminal G as you exit Customs. Hard to believe they have no automated way to get it to the domestic flights it is checked on. If I remember I will ask next time.

That's a completely different situation. After customs, they should turn left and then left again and you'll come to the connecting flight bag drop area. This is in the international terminal, but it's separate from the international check-in counters (on a different floor). Presuming their bags are already tagged (which they will be automatically it's one ticket, or you can ask for them to be if it's two), then they can just drop them there and head to security.
I have been told if there is a flight delay impacting customers they should have staff behind the counters to the left of the luggage drop-off area to rebook passengers and retag bags. So sometimes there may be someone to help you, but it may not be fast.

That's was the case. Because it was two separate flights, not on one ticket, her bags were tagged only to SFO and she has not checked in to her UA flight. So she has to take her cart to T3 and do bag drop and check in there.

Now, in the light of other posts in this thread, she should be instead going outside, take elevator to upper floor, check bags at UA counter at Terminal G, go to the security there as well and walk to F gates. But we did not know all this until reading this tread.
She was coming in on SQ, correct? If so, SQ can and should tag her bag with the UA flight when she checked in. This is a Star Alliance policy, Star carriers will check bags through all connecting flights (either on the same ticket or self connecting on different tickets) if the flights are on a Star carrier. Something to keep in mind for next time.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uanj
She was coming in on SQ, correct? If so, SQ can and should tag her bag with the UA flight when she checked in.
SQ will absolutely do this. They are very accommodating on this sort of thing, and the agents at SIN are highly competent.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.