Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
FYI for those flying into SFO in H1'24, it sounds the airport is doing a pretty major project on 28L so expect delays starting January 16th.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...t-18561498.php
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:18 pm
O62

Originally Posted by bioyuki
FYI for those flying into SFO in H1'24, it sounds the airport is doing a pretty major project on 28L so expect delays starting January 16th.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...t-18561498.php
A while back on SFO's site I saw a histogram of flight arrival times. As I recall, going into single runway ops didn't affect SFO until about 10 or 11am or so. So I'm guessing any flights coming in/out of SFO after mid-morning will be a giant mess this winter. I wonder how my YVR-SFO-MRY will fare - going to start preparing for the worst.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Kacee
SQ will absolutely do this. They are very accommodating on this sort of thing, and the agents at SIN are highly competent.
Can SQ tag luggege for UA if that luggage needs to be paid?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Can SQ tag luggege for UA if that luggage needs to be paid?
SQ probably can't check luggage through to a domestic basic economy ticket -- I'm guessing they'll get an error. Anything else, they should be able to check it through -- and it won't need to be paid. It's treated as though it were a single ticket at that point.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
SQ probably can't check luggage through to a domestic basic economy ticket -- I'm guessing they'll get an error. Anything else, they should be able to check it through -- and it won't need to be paid. It's treated as though it were a single ticket at that point.
I was specifically asking the question in relation to my wife's situation. Recup: there are two separate tickets/iteneraties. One is SIN-SFO on SQ in Economy, second is UA's SFO-whatever in Economy (not basic economy) 4-5 hours later after SQ's arrival.
My wife don't not have any status either with SQ or UA, does not have any Chase cards with UA. She needed to pay for both checked bags and it was $80.

So, the question - in the situation above, at SIN, would SQ be able to tag her bags at the final destination and without asking her to pay for bags in behalf of UA? If SQ would tag bags to her final destination, would UA ask her to pay at bag drop at SFO?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, the question - in the situation above, at SIN, would SQ be able to tag her bags at the final destination and without asking her to pay for bags in behalf of UA?
Yes. UA's fees become completely irrelevant as soon as the bags are tagged through to the final destination.

If SQ would tag bags to her final destination, would UA ask her to pay at bag drop at SFO?
No.

That's what I was saying -- it would be handled exactly as if the flights were booked on a single ticket: the flights would be booked to the final destination, and baggage revenue, if any, is worked out behind the scenes.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
it would be handled exactly as if the flights were booked on a single ticket
Right, because that's functionally what you now have - to interline the bags, the agent will create a new reservation with both segments.

I once did this on separate UA and CX tickets for an HKG connection (back when UA would interline to non-partners for 1K), and when the UA flight was delayed causing a forced overnight at HKG, my itinerary showed as a single itinerary such that I was given a hotel and auto rebooked on CX the following morning.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:50 am

Yes. UA's fees become completely irrelevant as soon as the bags are tagged through to the final destination.
That's what I was saying -- it would be handled exactly as if the flights were booked on a single ticket: the flights would be booked to the final destination, and baggage revenue, if any, is worked out behind the scenes.
This is news to me, did not know this before.

Question - would TK able to do the same with IST-ORD TK flight and the separate ORD-SFO flight?
jsloan and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Question - would TK able to do the same with IST-ORD TK flight and the separate ORD-SFO flight?
Most *A carriers will do this but each has their own parameters. so best just to check with TK
jsloan and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:10 pm

Domestic to Int. at SFO on UA

Hi all, in June I have flights booked from ANC to SYD, via SFO.

The connection time is only 1hr 20min. Am I right in thinking that this is unlikely to work? Or are things at SFO such that it’s likely to be ok?

Factors in my favour: I’m travelling in 1st, then in Polaris, so hopefully I’ll be given TSAPre and the priority queue. Then also this will all happen around 10pm.

Qn: will the ANC flight & the SYD flights arrive into & depart from the same terminal. Also, will I have to re-check my luggage.

I hope someone can assist. Happy NY to everyone.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You don’t go through security again at SFO if you’re on United for both flights. And if on United both flights, your bags will be checked from ANC to SYD - you won’t even see them at SFO. 1hr20 is plenty of time.

You’re not given TSApre if you’re in 1st or Polaris - TSA Pre is a completely separate program administered by the Dept. of Homeland Security. If you want TSA Pre, you have to sign up for it through Homeland Security/TSA.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 1 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 28, 2023 at 9:35 pm
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Airbear123
Hi all, in June I have flights booked from ANC to SYD, via SFO.

The connection time is only 1hr 20min. Am I right in thinking that this is unlikely to work? Or are things at SFO such that it’s likely to be ok? ...
This is a domestic to domestic connection and if everything is ontime, this will be no problem.
You will arrival F/E concourse and departure on G, all connected airside 15-20 min wlak.

Factors in my favour: I’m travelling in 1st, then in Polaris, so hopefully I’ll be given TSAPre and the priority queue. .
Your ticket / cabin has nothing to do with TSAPre, you need to registration and pay for TSAPre with TSA.

Then also this will all happen around 10pm. ...
That helps as arrival problems at SFO tend to be worse in the morning.
Your biggest risk is a late arrival from ANC for whatever reason as there are no alternatives to SYD until the next day. However the options from ANC are limited. Would be more comfortable with 2-2 1/2 hours.

Qn: will the ANC flight & the SYD flights arrive into & depart from the same terminal. Also, will I have to re-check my luggage. ...
on the trip to SYD, and on a single ticket, your bags will be check thru to SYD.
If there is a return trip, the flight from SYD to USA will require customers and rechecking - easy to do at SFO.
Boraxo and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:04 pm

Thanks everyone. That’s all pretty reassuring.

As for TSA Pre, the system must have changed, as back a few years ago, TSA Pre was printed my boarding passes travelling from Oz thru to West Coast via HNL, both flights in Biz/1st on HA. Obviously no longer the case :-(

Thanks again! Cheers.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will arrival F/E concourse and departure on G, all connected airside 15-20 min wlak.
Technically it could arrive in D. But I still think 15-20 minutes is an overestimate for a D to G connection, unless you have mobility issues. I regularly clear security in G and walk to D in under 10.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone. That’s all pretty reassuring.

As for TSA Pre, the system must have changed, as back a few years ago, TSA Pre was printed my boarding passes travelling from Oz thru to West Coast via HNL, both flights in Biz/1st on HA. Obviously no longer the case :-(

Thanks again! Cheers.
The TSA ran a pilot program for a year or two where they allowed airlines to pass their frequent flyers' information along and give them pre-clear on a trip-by-trip basis, and I suppose it's possible that they included some business class travelers in that -- but it's been a decade or so since that ended.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.