Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will arrival F/E concourse and departure on G, all connected airside 15-20 min wlak.
Departure will *probably* be in G, but don't presume that!

My SFO-BNE (787-9) a week ago left from F12. Talking to the staff in the UC in G, one of the SFO-SYD flights the night before (777) also left from F. Apparently there's a shortage of gates in G late evenings, which is leading to this happening regularly.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by docbert
Departure will *probably* be in G, but don't presume that!

My SFO-BNE (787-9) a week ago left from F12. Talking to the staff in the UC in G, one of the SFO-SYD flights the night before (777) also left from F. Apparently there's a shortage of gates in G late evenings, which is leading to this happening regularly.
Huh, didn't know that, but it's not surprising either given the likes of BR have been booted to A. That said, I do watch SFO Flightradar24 occasional evenings and haven't seen any international flights go out of F myself. It might be that if there's an early evening (6-8pm) departure that gets heavily delayed on stand for whatever reason, that creates a gate shortage for the late evening flights (9pm-12am) that necessitates having one depart out of F instead.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
SFO delay programs only include flights from CONUS and Canada. ANC flights should not be affected.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
SFO delay programs only include flights from CONUS and Canada. ANC flights should not be affected.
True for many SFO weather issues (such as fog / rain or other things that restrict parallel runways usage) but there are other reasons for flight delays -- MX, prior arrival to ANC was delayed, crew issues, ......
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
True for many SFO weather issues (such as fog / rain or other things that restrict parallel runways usage) but there are other reasons for flight delays -- MX, prior arrival to ANC was delayed, crew issues, ......
Yep. I've been on countless delayed flights into SFO with pax who were going to misconnect on the late night flights to SYD or SIN. 1:20 could be no problem, or it could mean an overnight at one of the airport hotels.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dkc192
It might be that if there's an early evening (6-8pm) departure that gets heavily delayed on stand for whatever reason, that creates a gate shortage for the late evening flights (9pm-12am) that necessitates having one depart out of F instead.
Very possibly. My flight (UA96 on Dec 23) was originally showing as G3, but when I checked my bag it had changes to F12 which even confused the check-in agent. The plane came in from Denver, so arrived at that gate. I didn't check what was using G3 but it's very possibly it was something that had been delayed.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:11 pm

Bag drop short cut in SFO

Curious where the bag drop short cut might be in SFO (flying out of F gates). Is this more efficient than the Premier Access kiosks?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
They are in the same place. Door 2-ish of T3. Never had to wait for either. The Premier section has a 1k/Polaris desk if you need to talk to someone. Quick walk to the premium/pre-check/clear security lines. The other side of security is where F meets the main terminal building.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Curious where the bag drop short cut might be in SFO (flying out of F gates). Is this more efficient than the Premier Access kiosks?
Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
They are in the same place. Door 2-ish of T3. Never had to wait for either. The Premier section has a 1k/Polaris desk if you need to talk to someone. Quick walk to the premium/pre-check/clear security lines. The other side of security is where F meets the main terminal building.
No. Bag drop shortcut is by door 12. This is different from the regular bag drop.

Security is between door 6 and door 8.
SPN Lifer, malgudi and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Experienced a go around tonight on UA483 (BNA - SFO January 6, 2024). Couldn't tell the exact reason (around 0542 UTC Jan 7) based on quick listen of ATC archive of NorCal approach.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:20 am

New here and hope this is the correct thread for my questions: I will fly into SFO in the morning from YYC on an AC flight (code shared and operated by UA), then board a connecting CZ transpacific flight just past midnight. Trying to figure out how the transfer at SFO will work out. The inbound UA flight is supposed to arrive at Gate E8 and the outbound CZ flight will depart from A gates (as of now; I was informed of a major schedule change to the CZ flight coming April when my travel is so not sure if the gates will change as well). Is it possible to get to A from E8 without having to clear customs and immigration again? From what I know/remember (not a FF in any sense) YYC does have CBP pre-clearance.

Also hoping I wouldn't need to take out my baggage at SFO; the advice I got is to not do online check-in before the UA flight (seat already selected) so when I get to YYC, I can interact with the counter agent and ask them to through check my baggage to the final destination vs. SFO. Is this sound? The connection time is long (15 hours) by the way. Not sure if it matters to baggage handling but CZ doesn't seem to have any partnership with AC or UA.

Thanks so much.

p.s. couldn't find definite terminal data so the gate/terminal info quoted above may not be accurate. Any good websites for that?
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by hopping; Feb 13, 2024 at 11:38 am Reason: Gate info correction
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hopping
New here and hope this is the correct thread for my questions: I will fly into SFO in the morning from YYC on an AC flight (code shared and operated by UA), then board a connecting CZ transpacific flight just past midnight. Trying to figure out how the transfer at SFO will work out. The inbound UA flight is supposed to arrive at Gate E8 and the outbound CZ flight will depart from A gates (as of now; I was informed of a major schedule change to the CZ flight coming April when my travel is so not sure if the gates will change as well). Is it possible to get to A from E8 without having to clear customs and immigration again? From what I know/remember (not a FF in any sense) YYC does have CBP pre-clearance.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

YYC does have pre-clearance. You will have to go through security again to get from the UA gates (E/F/G) to the A gates, but not customs and immigration. But why not spend the day in San Francisco instead?

Also hoping I wouldn't need to take out my baggage at SFO; the advice I got is to not do online check-in before the UA flight (seat already selected) so when I get to YYC, I can interact with the counter agent and ask them to through check my baggage to the final destination vs. SFO. Is this sound? The connection time is long (15 hours) by the way. Not sure if it matters to baggage handling but CZ doesn't seem to have any partnership with AC or UA.
Checking in online or not is irrelevant. UA's policy is not to check through to the final final destination when the transfer is this long. You can ask, but be prepared to be told no.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much.

p.s. couldn't find definite terminal data so the gate/terminal info quoted above may not be accurate. Any good websites for that?
Is the entire journey from Canada to US to China on the same ticket? If not, not sure if you can tag luggage to your final destination. Does CZ have an interline agreement with AC/UA?

In addition to the helpful advice from @jsloan, any gate info for the present day is unlikely to be the same for the day of your trip. United operates from multiple concourses at SFO.

As you will have to reclear security anyway, and with such a long layover time, why not go into town as suggested? United and China Southern operations are not connected post securiry at this time.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, SamirD and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

YYC does have pre-clearance. You will have to go through security again to get from the UA gates (E/F/G) to the A gates, but not customs and immigration. But why not spend the day in San Francisco instead?
Thank you jsloan ! I read about the internatinoal <-> domestic walkway in another thread (not allowed to embed the link sorry) so was somewhat hopeful. I must admit that I only skimmed through it.
Does going through security again mean that I will need to claim my luggage and to re-check it in after?
Not really a good traveler here so will probably not be in a mood for sightseeing Plus I will have a 22 hour layover on the way back so will have to get out and get a hotel room for the night (as much as I don't really want to; I dread going through security/customs/immi)

Checking in online or not is irrelevant. UA's policy is not to check through to the final final destination when the transfer is this long. You can ask, but be prepared to be told no.
I heard of a 24-hour layover time limit for checked through luggage. Also a successful DP: someone flew WestJet into LAX and connected with an MU flight the next day with baggage checked through. Maybe because Westjet is more lenient?
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is it possible to get to A from E8 without having to clear customs and immigration again?
You don't clear customs or immigration to exit the US. As already noted, you will have to reclear security to get from your incoming UA gate to A, there is no airside connection.

United will NOT check your bag through unless you are on a single ticket. They also will not check through for a connection more than 12 hours.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and hopping like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.