Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dhuey
UA @ SFO uses Terminals D, E, F, G, all UA gates are connected airside

UA terminal map & SFO terminal map

United clubs locations:
E gates -- near E3
F gates -- in the F rotunda
G gates -- near G9 (former Global First Lounge)
Mezzanine -- across from E1 (between E & F concourse)

United Polaris Lounge (United/Star Alliance long-haul business class passengers only) - just past Intl G security on the right.

Arrivals -- CLOSED - was near UA Domestic baggage claim (near the Internation Terminal end escalator) on the Arrival level

AMEX Centurion Lounge -- across from Gate F1

Freshen Up! -- is an independent option for Shower facilities, nap rooms, toiletries, ironing facilities and undergarments.

MCT
UA-UA D-D is usually 30 minutes
xx-UA I-D is generally 80-105 minutes (but without Global Entry this is very tight)
UA-XX D-D is ????

Incoming International (except Canadian flights arriving as domestic flights - clearance is done in Canada) - must clear USA immigration and customs even if in-transit to a non-USA destination. Therefore also need to re-clear security if connecting.

Bags can be check at either International Check (G) or Domestic check-in (T3) for either international or domestic flights -- you may get some pushback at International check-in counters checking bags for solely domestic flights (apparently it is a bit more complex to get the bags to the domestic side)

Bag storage Open Everyday 6am – 11 pm
Before security, on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102.

Related threads
Connecting in SFO

Archived posts: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at SFO [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated SFO connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
QQ regarding SFO connection, as I am hardly ever thru there. (I looked at my logs and the last time I was at SFO was in 2015 on a 747 from NRT !).

Had a schedule change now leaving me with 1hr 50 min connection, arriving from ICN and connecting to a domestic UA 777.
Assume this meets MCT? I will likely be hand luggage only, and with Global Entry, so not overly concerned. But if I end up with a checked bag, assume this would be crazy tight?

Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
QQ regarding SFO connection, as I am hardly ever thru there. (I looked at my logs and the last time I was at SFO was in 2015 on a 747 from NRT !).

Had a schedule change now leaving me with 1hr 50 min connection, arriving from ICN and connecting to a domestic UA 777.
Assume this meets MCT? I will likely be hand luggage only, and with Global Entry, so not overly concerned. But if I end up with a checked bag, assume this would be crazy tight?

Thanks.
UA-UA I-D at SFO is 1h20m. I don’t have Global Entry, nearly always check a bag internationally, and I wouldn’t blink at a 1h50m connection — it’d pretty much be exactly what I’d shoot for, unless I were flying in row 58 or something.
SPN Lifer, goodeats21 and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA-UA I-D at SFO is 1h20m. I don’t have Global Entry, nearly always check a bag internationally, and I wouldn’t blink at a 1h50m connection — it’d pretty much be exactly what I’d shoot for, unless I were flying in row 58 or something.
Awesome. Thanks!
I am in Polaris, so I have that going for me...
jsloan and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I will likely be hand luggage only, and with Global Entry, so not overly concerned.
You should be in the lounge within 20-25 minutes of door opening.

With checked bag, add 30-45 minutes.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You should be in the lounge within 20-25 minutes of door opening.

With checked bag, add 30-45 minutes.
Great. I think the last time I was through SFO, I used the now defunct UA arrival lounge. Be curious to see the SFO Polaris lounge, though likely only for a short visit.

I finally found United to have a competitive fare to BKK in J, though an extra segment each way compared to usual routings. Will miss the better catering, but actually feeling nostalgic for the NRT transfer and night-time arrival.
I am also kind of jazzed to experience the old IPTE seats again (domestic legs on 777 HD) I had to grab a rear facing seat for old times sake.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, SamirD and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:50 am

Looking at YYC-SFO-PVG all on UA:
  1. Only 1.5hrs connection time at SFO - will it be too tight? I will have 1 checked bag.
  2. I assume there will be some kinda gate change - will I need to go through security again?
  3. Will I need to claim the checked bag and re-check it after?
  4. It seems ExpertFlyer can indicate how full a flight is by fare class - are there other/better ways to check?
  5. re upgrade for the SFO-PVG leg (from G) - I don't have any status with UA or its loyalty program. Do I stand any chance for an upgrade? If so how much will it normally be?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hopping
  1. Only 1.5hrs connection time at SFO - will it be too tight? I will have 1 checked bag.
  2. I assume there will be some kinda gate change - will I need to go through security again?
  4. It seems ExpertFlyer can indicate how full a flight is by fare class - are there other/better ways to check?
  5. re upgrade for the SFO-PVG leg (from G) - I don't have any status with UA or its loyalty program. Do I stand any chance for an upgrade? If so how much will it normally be?
1. Plenty of time for the transfer because you will have pre-clearance at YYC.
2. No security check; just go from D/E/F gates to G gate for SFO-PVG (10-15 min walk)
3. No.
4. No idea. You will know how full the flight will be after everyone check in at T-60 min.
5. Miles + co-payment. Check other threads. It is very difficult to say without the flight date.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
1. Bags should be checked to final destination assuming one ticket.

2. YYC - SFO should be precleared, so you would arrived into SFO no different than a domestic flight. No security at SFO
3. See #1

4. You can use UA Expert mode along with seat map
5. No, but you can see if a paid upgrade might be within your price range
SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 - Should be fine; you’ll go through US Immigration and Customs at YYC
2 - No, except in the exceptionally unlikely case that one of your flights is in Terminal A.
3 - No
4 - Not sure what you mean
5 - You’ll be offered a buy-up, which can change over time. You can also do a $600 co-pay plus 30K MileagePlus miles, but that would likely be waitlisted, and you’d be the last person on the waitlist.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and hopping like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:35 pm

Thanks!

It's a huge relief to have no more security and the bag checked through. Thanks all for confirming

Originally Posted by Kmxu
5. Miles + co-payment. Check other threads. It is very difficult to say without the flight date.
I'm not a MileagePlus member so don't have any UA miles (only has Aeroplan). Currently looking at Apr 4 - May 19.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
4. You can use UA Expert mode along with seat map
5. No, but you can see if a paid upgrade might be within your price range
Looks like I will need MileagePlus membership to use the Expert mode.

4 - Not sure what you mean
Just want to see seat availability as in how many seats are still available by cabin.
5 - You’ll be offered a buy-up, which can change over time. You can also do a $600 co-pay plus 30K MileagePlus miles, but that would likely be waitlisted, and you’d be the last person on the waitlist.
I don't have any MileagePlus miles. Sounds like a buy-up ($ only) will be much more than a $600 co-pay? If that's the case, it's probably out of my price range. Also when will a buy-up be offered by the way? Another option would be Economy Plus seats which will cost around $310 one way...
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2024 at 8:44 pm Reason: not allowed
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Looks like I will need MileagePlus membership to use the Expert mode.
Free to sign up.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 22, 2024 at 8:49 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just want to see seat availability as in how many seats are still available by cabin.
UA doesn’t put reliable public information besides the seat map — which you can see for any flight by doing a search for it, or by looking at flight status once you’re within a couple of days of departure — and the inventory data in Expert Mode. And the inventory data is subject to some conjecture, as it’s not necessarily possible to know if there are X seats available or if there are really X+Y seats available, but Y of them have been blocked due to an oversale in a lower cabin.

I don't have any MileagePlus miles. Sounds like a buy-up ($ only) will be much more than a $600 co-pay? If that's the case, it's probably out of my price range. Also when will a buy-up be offered by the way? Another option would be Economy Plus seats which will cost around $310 one way...
Buy-ups can be offered at any time from ticketing to check-in (or even after check-in — you can check-in and then still go back and look at your reservation to see if there’s a new upgrade offer). I haven’t seen a ton of recent reports on SFO-PVG, but pre-COVID there were occasional reports of TPAC buy-ups for about $1000.

Note that if you decide to purchase Economy Plus — the price for which can also fluctuate — it is just extra legroom, but also, if you later buy-up to Premium Plus or Polaris, the Economy Plus fee would be refunded when travel is complete.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Only 1.5hrs connection time at SFO - will it be too tight? I will have 1 checked bag.
When? That's a bit risky so long as the SFO runway construction is still on. It's scheduled to finish by July 1, 2024.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
When? That's a bit risky so long as the SFO runway construction is still on. It's scheduled to finish by July 1, 2024.
OP mentioned flying in April and May. Have delays really been that significant? I thought they mostly handled the situation by proactively reducing their schedule.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
OP mentioned flying in April and May. Have delays really been that significant? I thought they mostly handled the situation by proactively reducing their schedule.
That has been my experience. SFO is my home base. I have not been delayed on departure yet this year, though there have been some mightly long taxis from the North side of F. On arrival I have been held at the departure airport twice (LAX and SEA) for runway construction, both times we made it up in the air.
jsloan and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.