Print Wikipost

GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 6:15 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by WW_Trainer
Here is one I never saw before.

EWR->FRA

mobile says 2 seats remain in BF. I'm #2 using a GPU. The doors are about to close and I ask about the upgrade. I'm told (by several FA's) that 2 seats in BF are blocked for crew rest. I've never seen BF seats blocked like that. Especially 2 on a short 7 hour flight. Am I wrong to complain?
I don't know, but when it comes to blocked seats the site will say something like Booked: 48 (+2 blocked).
Old May 12, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
940 went out today w almost 30 on the WL for C. Serious failures there. I'm on the same flight tomorrow, looking pretty grim at this point.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Absolutely! Please post after May 13 with a follow up report.

Edited to add: I just checked UA889 May 13 SFO-PEK. Availability is F5 J5 Y9. Although as UA Gold, your upgrade chances may not be the best.
Wow talk about some GPU fails. 2 hours prior to flight and BF is 50/52 with 20 on the waitlist. I am unfortunately #6.
Old May 13, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IADOrange
Flying IAD-BRU next week, booked in early March with a W Fare and GPU waitlisted. Always had heard this was an easy flight to clear so never worried too much despite R class never opening up (according to ExperFlyer). One week out and it's down to J5, Y4 with surrounding dates all between J0-J5 and Y0-Y6. Not too optimistic, especially given the tendency for government tickets to not book until a week or less before departure :/ Will be my first ever instrument supported upgrade to fail.

At least the return (via EWR) cleared at booking.
As an update to this, around 36 hours prior to departure, it suddenly popped from J2 R0 Y0 to J2 R2 Y1. I got the expertflyer notification at 3:49am, called in at 3:52am, and got the upgrade by 4:05am after about 10 minutes on hold ^

Feel kind of bad for the people I'm sure I passed on the upgrade list....but not really
Old May 13, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WW_Trainer
Here is one I never saw before.

EWR->FRA

mobile says 2 seats remain in BF. I'm #2 using a GPU. The doors are about to close and I ask about the upgrade. I'm told (by several FA's) that 2 seats in BF are blocked for crew rest. I've never seen BF seats blocked like that. Especially 2 on a short 7 hour flight. Am I wrong to complain?
Yes, that happened to me SFO-NRT. On that model of B777, 2 seats were blocked in C for the extra pilot to use.

BTW Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:19 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm a Two-timer this year!!

My second failed GPU attempt:
GRU-ORD, H-fare, booked 5 weeks in advance. 40 BF-seats. Week to go, knew I didn't have a chance (well, looking at seatmap anyway - know seats open up day of departure, but they can vanish just as quickly).

I've previously seen M-fare failures on plane w 23 BF seats.
Above somewhere list a B-failure. Hard to imagine.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:11 am
ToJ

Programs: UA Gold, HiltonHonors Diamond
GPU Upgrades - Do they ever work?

Had zero success this year getting upgraded using GPUs for M class tickets EWR/IAD to LHR and also on the return. I always find myself as #1 or 2 on the upgrade standby list but somewhere between 5 and 12 hours before departure, the 4 to sometimes 7 or 8 open/available seats disappear and BF is full all of a sudden. Does UAL really sell that many last minute seats in TATL BF or is there another hierarchy process trumping my status and booking class?
My company allows booking in upgradable Y class but as this never seems to work it seems like a waste of money even trying...
Old May 27, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
They work all the time, I already used three this year on a very busy route (SFO-FRA). There is even a thread here with a long list of successes.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I have a 70% success with GPUs. My routes include SFO-FRA, IAD-DXB, and SFO-ICN (and the return flights). I am using then for C to F upgrades.
I did score 4 upgrades for the family's summer travels this July (SFO-LHR and CDG-IAD). These are NY tickets up to business class. But that was all done last fall using expert flyer and a few schedule changes to help manipulate things.
Don't forget you can check the upgrade list on any flight (within 24 hours) to see how many people have actually cleared.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Instrument-supported upgrades work better if you apply them immediately at time of purchase, that is, if you select flights that have R inventory and immediately confirm the upgrade.

If you can't do that, but you're the kind of person who checks their booking every day for a few minutes to make sure everything is OK & you haven't been "stuck" with positive R inventory and no cleared upgrade & everything is OK within 24 hours of departure & you're on the departure management waitlist …… (so, if you're me), then at any reasonable value of your time per hour, it's probably worth your time to just pay for business class .
Old May 27, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i use mine a lot on TPAC routes out of EWR (to ICN, HKG, PVG, NRT, etc.). i usually clear at booking.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ss-2013-a.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-2013-a.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; May 27, 2013 at 9:41 am Reason: added second thread link
Old May 27, 2013, 9:44 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I am flexible with my dates/times and my connection cities in most cases, and thus have 100% success in my years as a 1K. I know a lot of people don't have that flexibility, though.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Instrument-supported upgrades work better if you apply them immediately at time of purchase, that is, if you select flights that have R inventory and immediately confirm the upgrade...
Yes ...clearing immediately would count as "working better".

But I have never encountered a flight which actually had R>0 inventory, so I stopped looking long ago.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Instrument-supported upgrades work better if you apply them immediately at time of purchase, that is, if you select flights that have R inventory and immediately confirm the upgrade.
^^ Using them otherwise is a game of chance.

Last edited by halls120; May 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.