Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread GPU Failure Report
Print Wikipost

GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I really hope no one is selling of NC inventory before clearing my M fare SWU. If I figure out this is happening I will need to reassess my loyalty, but so far I have not seen proof. I have started to ask passengers who take those last seats during the flights what they did to UG.
Is this enough proof?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17742713-post16.html
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
I used a SWU for my daughter for an east coast flight from BOS to MCO that cleared on a W fare at booking.

Not exactly what SWUs were intended for IMO but at least it's not going to waste.

All I know is given my already bad success rate with INTL UGs, I am doing everything in my power to use mine up. I think post merger the buy ups are going to just kill the value of SWUs
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
EWR-SFO 1/16 W fare failed. 752 was full front to back.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:14 pm

More proof that is indeed what is happening ... even GMs (on an award ticket) can trump 1K

I really hope no one is selling of NC inventory before clearing my M fare SWU. If I figure out this is happening I will need to reassess my loyalty, but so far I have not seen proof. I have started to ask passengers who take those last seats during the flights what they did to UG.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Ugh...Know we're coming down to the wire for any expiring SWU from last year - but the post you pulled is resettting expectations for my 2012 SWU.

I generally try to work my schedule to know they will clear before booking a specific flight - looks like that's a must-do going forward.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: Freelancer

Well, I hope everyone is having better luck than me with SWU's.

Jan 19- UA 838 NRT-SFO Y fare, waitlisted for about 2 weeks, would have failed had I not re-routed.

That morning showed F1 A1 C5 D2 Z2. Started as #1 on the C upgrade list and then went to #2 at the airport. I think #1 cleared as I moved back to the top of the list. I then watched as the seats available counted down from 4 while the upgrade list didn't move. Eventually, C checked in totally full. Another 1K mentioned they were 23rd on the list.

I talked with the agent to see about other routing options. I got confirmed on the spot for NC on NRT-HNL (new 777) a few hours later.

Sipped a few glasses of bubbly, took a nice nap, and enjoyed about half a day in Hawaii before heading back to the west coast.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I have seen this happen right in front of me multiple times and always ask the people.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
NRT SWU failure

I have watched the NRT to IAD (any routing) for a particular week coming up since OCT. There has never been a single NC seat available. Not one on the day of or day prior to targeted travel. Finally booked (YCA class) and sponsored with a SWU (friend is the traveler, 1P who will be plat when the new credentials are put in effect). C has gradually dwindled to C0. 3rd successive NRT outbound with no opportunity to spend a hard earned SWU, even with a 4 months window to plan.

Last year, I failed to spend all 6 SWUs (for failing to clear over 14 transpac segments as a 1k in YCA class). Then they expire and can't be extended.

Domestically, I just failed to clear SEA-SFO-IAD for later this week even though it shows F9/F9. Now, inside the 100 hour window, I am offered a buy up. A buy up prior to the 100 hour window is fine, but inside is irritating.

Playing the loyalty game isn't getting more rewarding...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmculp
I have watched the NRT to IAD (any routing) for a particular week coming up since OCT. There has never been a single NC seat available.
Sorry to hear about your experience. What day of the week were you travelling? Any routing would have included via SEA, LAX, besides SFO, ORD ?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I know that I would not want to be asked that question. It's really none of anyone's business what I did to get an upgrade on a particular flight. If I paid $400 or $500 to fly business to Asia then that's my business. If I used miles then that's my business.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: Freelancer
Part of the form letter I received regarding my failed SWU on a Y fare:

"Dear Happy Hour:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding UA891 on January 7, 2012. Please
permit me to explain. While your name may have been second on the
upgrade list, as passengers who had confirmed or purchased upgrades
checked in, the seat allotment then declined."
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Right. The biggest beef here is that purchased upgrades trump SWUs and that people who are pending upgrade using a SWU are NOT offered a chance to buy up.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I know that I would not want to be asked that question. It's really none of anyone's business what I did to get an upgrade on a particular flight. If I paid $400 or $500 to fly business to Asia then that's my business. If I used miles then that's my business.
Most people, including me, are happy to share that information. Companies hate it when people share information like this because it exposes their lies.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:44 pm

1/8/12 - IAD/GRU - failed C to NF - SWU - GS member - 4th on WL at checkin.

1/13/12 - GRU/IAD - failed C to NF - SWU. F2 early morning, 1st on WL all day, 1st on WL when flight departed.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
20Jan, UA858, PVG-SFO: 77Q (seven revenue F seats). I was number 1 on the WL for C->F, and failed. The C FA told me there were 16 GSs in C, and that all F pax were on full-fare F fares. She also told me of the 40 C pax, NONE were upgraders. Remind me not to travel to/from China just before Lunar New Year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.