Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread GPU Failure Report
Print Wikipost

GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by born sleepy
I've never had 90 clear. 84 cleared once and at the last minute. I always fly out on a Thursday. Maybe Friday or earlier in the week would be easier to clear?

I've always had 85 clear, and I always return on Friday. Dumb luck, I guess.
Thurs 84 can be a tough one , as its the last flight a religious person can fly on until the 90 (depending on the month) on a Sat night, so many religious people whose families live in Israel will fly the 84 on Thurs back so as not to miss another Shaboos with them. I personally know a handful of Doctors that fly in 10-14 days every month to the US to work, they leave TLV either on a Sat nights 91 or Suns 85, many of them purchase BF seats outright

I cant comment on the 90 Thurs night or 84/90 Fri or 84 Sat as I dont follow them closely. But dont forget most Israelis arent religious and if they were in the US for Biz I can see Fris 90 being thier 1st choice. Remember Sun in Israel is the USs Mon = a reg work day. So they want to get as much time for biz when in the US yet get back in time for work Sun morn

Generally I found the 84/85 flights easier then the 90/91, with Thurs 84 not so easy. But again alot has to do with the month of the year and if a Jewish Holiday is coming up or just ending But CO knows it can sell its BF TLV flights so it doesnt open Saver Seats or UPs (GPU or Miles) that far in advance, and will do so only when they know they most likely wont end up selling the cabin. That said its alot better clearing today then say 3-4 yrs ago, when it was almost impossible on any of the flights

85 on a Fri should be OK, no biz people coming in yet, those in TLV for biz will have work Fri morn so they want Fris 91, the Religious people wont chance a delay = landing after Sunset on Fri= its Shabbos and cant leave the Term till after sunset Sat night, even during the summer and staying in NYC getting in @ 5pm and sunset at 7:30pm doesnt leave much room should something go wrong even a car accident on the way to where they are going to stay.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
85 on a Friday morning is nice because the entire airport is nearly empty and clearing security and passport control is a breeze. I've heard the midnight departures on UA/DL/US are pandemonium. Wonder why there's only the one morning departure to USA... and if there's enough demand for a third flight... they're always packed.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by born sleepy
85 on a Friday morning is nice because the entire airport is nearly empty and clearing security and passport control is a breeze. I've heard the midnight departures on UA/DL/US are pandemonium. Wonder why there's only the one morning departure to USA... and if there's enough demand for a third flight... they're always packed.
Im sure a Mod will end up moing some of our posts since they ahvegone OT from the topic

There are 3 US carriers that fly into TLV , CO(UA) with 2 almost daily flights,US 1 flight (they want a 2nd) and DL 1 flight they had 2 daily. Both DLs flights were late night flights in both directions, as is USs flight reason is partly mentioned above but those are the most in demand by Israelis and those on Biz. Then theres LY (ElAl), with 1 daily to EWR and more then 1 to JFK # depends on time of yr and whether theres a Jewish Holiday approaching or ending

No telling if the US flight which will be AA in '14 sometime will beable to continue flying in.Well they could but will either have to pay off TWAs debts still on the books over there or come to some settlement. I dont see the Israelis (Court/Union) settling for a small amount , so my gut tells me there will be no AA flight into TLV once US/AA merge, yes that many Millions are owed and it will take too long to recoup it in profits to make it worthwhile paying it.

Lets take UA 84-85 the 84 lands and turns around ASAP and is back out as the 85, great usage for the plane. The 90 lands and takes a suntan on the tarmac as its apx there for an 6-7 hr layover (dont know why it doesnt run into TA for a few hrs and enjoy itself but it doesnt) = not a sgood usage plane wise but the 90/91 are in higher demand so UA,DL,Us simply will park the plane there for hrs till its time for the Midnight flight back

Keep in mind DL CXed their daily ATL flight, I believe it will be a seasonal flight if that. So they have but 1 daily JFK-TLV, dont know if they have an extra plane to start up a 84/85 combo. When CO began flying into TLV they were forced into the 84/85 combo, only slot times TLV alloted = people had no choice if they wanted to fly on CO = they were used to the times. CO wanted the 90/91 slots were denied them at the time. Im not sure DL could make a go of the 84/85 slots today and thusly why UA has the only morn flight out.

btw besides LY only CO changed their flights for TLV for YK (Yom Kippur) TLV is Closed for some 30 hurs but on YK for the past # of yrs CO had 3 flights the 84 & 90 go as usual and they add a 5am flight which lands right after TLV reopens and thusly turns right around as the 91 which is usually packed to the brim, that 5am flight has but a small handful of people on it Im sure the cargo hold is filled with cargo to offset that. And at times will move the 84 or 90 up in order to land in time for a Holiday. US went 1 step futher it moved up its Thurs flight from 9pm to 6;30 so as to arrive into TLV alot earlier before Shabbos starts.

Yet UA CXed the 84 on 3/28 so no 84/85 3/28-29 dumb as its the 1st flight after the 1st days of Passover so a religious person wont beable to fly UA to TLV till 4/3 the day after Passover. So Im driving down to PHL and flying US, yea I could have taken the 90 but US lands at 12:35pm while the 90 will be very late afternoon and taking a chance theres no delay and by the time Id get to my hotel maybe just enogh time to jump into a shower.Did that once and that was once too many times

Ive been on the late night flights it was alot better then late afternoon (last flights to Europe) or early morn 5-6ish (1st flights to Europe) But I agree its very quiet 85 time, but theres less people working Security and PP control as well
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
EWR/TLV/EWR - 3 tickets purchased 1/23/13
UA 84 to TLV - Feb. 19 - 1 ticket cleared at booking, 1 cleared day of flight 1 did not clear. UA 91 TLV/EWR Feb. 25 none of the 3 cleared. Next time I will route thru FRA which still had R availability on day of flight.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgmsteven
EWR/TLV/EWR - 3 tickets purchased 1/23/13
UA 84 to TLV - Feb. 19 - 1 ticket cleared at booking, 1 cleared day of flight 1 did not clear. UA 91 TLV/EWR Feb. 25 none of the 3 cleared. Next time I will route thru FRA which still had R availability on day of flight.
I wouldnt even think of doing that 1- LH seems not to open any of its Biz seats to/from TLV & FRA *Remember its now an A-321 so its the same exact seat with the same exact pitch whether in C or Y only no one is in the middle seat in C but usually that doesnt matter as the arm rests dont go up

2- I believe UA uses the 767-400 no where as nice as BF on the 777

3- to catch UAs flight from FRA means either catching LHs 5am flight out of TLV or LHs 4pm flight and overnighting ar FRA

Best bet is UA 85,the morn flight

and if you want to use a GPU on LH good luck its only done at the airport day of, probably after LH has taken care of all of its M&M members. If you want to UP TLV-FRA and FRA-US you will need to use 2 GPUs per person each way and then sit in a non-bed seat when all is said and done.No Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
What was your status at that time? 1K?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Zantosh
What was your status at that time? 1K?
Yes, 1K. 2 travelers were 1K and the third was a GM using GPU from 1K.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
1. route BKK-NRT
2. date 24March
3. fare class W
4. Y-C

When I checked in at T-24 (or very close), I was already #3. Moved down as far as #11 before I stopped checking. This one never had a chance from the seat map. Heavy spring break travel pattern, I guess?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
DXB-IAD (977) on Sun, March 17. Booked in W.
One person had been upgraded in advance (presumably at booking). No one was upgraded day of departure. Ended up as number 5 on the list. First GPU to ever fail. Ticket booked around 6 weeks out.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:25 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
So I join the Hall of Pain.

Route: EWR-EZE.
Late March; booked 5 weeks in advance.
V-fare.
Think I ended up #2 on waitlist. After boarding, they came and moved 2 people from E+ seats to BF.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
How and when do you guys find the waiting list number? I am on a waiting list from Sin to NRT and nrt to sfo have been cleared. There are five days left and there are six seats available from seat map. Any suggestion? Many thanks!
Old May 4, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by craz
I wouldnt even think of doing that 2- I believe UA uses the 767-400 no where as nice as BF on the 777
Huh? Same seat. same service. Only bad thing is no lavs up front, making the bigger footwell in 1D less desireable.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
How and when do you guys find the waiting list number? I am on a waiting list from Sin to NRT and nrt to sfo have been cleared. There are five days left and there are six seats available from seat map. Any suggestion? Many thanks!
Seatmaps are notoriously inaccurate :-:

Within 24 hours of departure you can check any flight: homepage UA.com, center top of page it shows Print Boarding Pass and Check Flight Status.

Click latter, select date and flight number, or if you don't remember it fill in from / to.

On the next page click Upgrade Status or something like that. Keep in mind only ppl who checken in are on the list, hence it get more accurate closer to departure.

When I cleared using GPU / RPU I sometimes see myself on the list prior to 24 hours, sometimes not

EmailKid
Old May 4, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
ONLY WORKS WITHIN 24 Hours of flight

Go to UAL website (or on your mobile device) and look up flight status
if you scroll down, there are tabs for FLIGHT AMENTITIES, FLIGHT STAND BY LIST, UPGRADE LIST, SEAT MAP.
Choose Upgrade list (only viewable within 24 hours)
you get something like this
Information for the Traveler

Inflight Amenities
Flight Standby List
United BusinessFirst Upgrade Standby List
Seat Map
United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List:
United BusinessFirst®: 50 | Booked: Full | Checked In: 47
Customers Upgraded to United BusinessFirst®: United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List *
NAME
1. SHA, T.
2. SIP, D.
3. BHA, J.
4. HUJ, I.
5. DED, S.
6. CHA, S.
7. CHA, T.
8. CHA, S.
9. GUD, P.
United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List FAQ * This list only includes upgrade-eligible customers that have checked in for this flight.
Old May 5, 2013, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Wildfan88
ONLY WORKS WITHIN 24 Hours of flight

Go to UAL website (or on your mobile device) and look up flight status
if you scroll down, there are tabs for FLIGHT AMENTITIES, FLIGHT STAND BY LIST, UPGRADE LIST, SEAT MAP.
Choose Upgrade list (only viewable within 24 hours)
you get something like this
Information for the Traveler

Inflight Amenities
Flight Standby List
United BusinessFirst Upgrade Standby List
Seat Map
United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List:
United BusinessFirst®: 50 | Booked: Full | Checked In: 47
Customers Upgraded to United BusinessFirst®: United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List *
NAME
1. SHA, T.
2. SIP, D.
3. BHA, J.
4. HUJ, I.
5. DED, S.
6. CHA, S.
7. CHA, T.
8. CHA, S.
9. GUD, P.
United BusinessFirst® Upgrade Standby List FAQ * This list only includes upgrade-eligible customers that have checked in for this flight.

thanks, i really appreciate that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.