FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread GPU Failure Report
Print Wikipost

GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 7:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wildfan88
ONLY WORKS WITHIN 24 Hours of flight
and given you need a critical mass to have been checked in before a reasonable picture starts to emerge, depending on flight, is not really relevant until 8-6-4-? hours prior to flight. Plus one needs to realize the there is, especially for domestic flights, a separate, parallel upgrade process running. The display list to be used at the gate (battlefield) and not the 'invisible" pre-gate list. (anticipating a question -- there are differences in the two list but lack of transparency the nature of those differences are fuzzy)
Old May 5, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and given you need a critical mass to have been checked in before a reasonable picture starts to emerge, depending on flight, is not really relevant until 8-6-4-? hours prior to flight. Plus one needs to realize the there is, especially for domestic flights, a separate, parallel upgrade process running. The display list to be used at the gate (battlefield) and not the 'invisible" pre-gate list. (anticipating a question -- there are differences in the two list but lack of transparency the nature of those differences are fuzzy)
^^ -- most accurate 30-45 minutes before the flight :-p. This is the list that the gate agents use to clear you but it is still possible to be cleared by the EUA list (the invisible list) before the gate.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
1. route SFO-PEK
2. date May 13
3. fare class W
4. Y-C

BF is full. GPU did not clear.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinerd
2. date May 13
BF is full. GPU did not clear.
may be premature to give up with a week to go -- I have had more than one flight go to 0 and then have space & upgrades at the gate.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM
may be premature to give up with a week to go -- I have had more than one flight go to 0 and then have space & upgrades at the gate.
Absolutely! Please post after May 13 with a follow up report.

Edited to add: I just checked UA889 May 13 SFO-PEK. Availability is F5 J5 Y9. Although as UA Gold, your upgrade chances may not be the best.

Last edited by restlessinRNO; May 5, 2013 at 10:28 am
Old May 5, 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
.... I just checked UA889 May 13 SFO-PEK. Availability is F5 J5 Y9. ....
seats can open up unexpectedly as plans change.

....Although as UA Gold, your upgrade chances may not be the best.
A Gold when using a GPU, if provided by an 1K/GS, will carry the sponsors status.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Indeed. I cleared a ORD-FRA flight that was C0 the whole week before the flight.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Flying IAD-BRU next week, booked in early March with a W Fare and GPU waitlisted. Always had heard this was an easy flight to clear so never worried too much despite R class never opening up (according to ExperFlyer). One week out and it's down to J5, Y4 with surrounding dates all between J0-J5 and Y0-Y6. Not too optimistic, especially given the tendency for government tickets to not book until a week or less before departure :/ Will be my first ever instrument supported upgrade to fail.

At least the return (via EWR) cleared at booking.
Old May 6, 2013, 9:46 pm

Absolutely! Please post after May 13 with a follow up report.

Edited to add: I just checked UA889 May 13 SFO-PEK. Availability is F5 J5 Y9. Although as UA Gold, your upgrade chances may not be the best.
Let's hope stuff opens up because it's a long flight! According to the flight status page, it says that there's 51 of 52 seats now taken and the fare bucks do say J5 but C1. I think J includes F?
Old May 6, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Let's hope stuff opens up because it's a long flight! According to the flight status page, it says that there's 51 of 52 seats now taken and the fare bucks do say J5 but C1. I think J includes F?
They are probably overselling the J cabin. Lets say your flight is F4 J5 C1, with 51 seats taken. UA can sell 5 J Tickets even though only 1 seat is remaining in that cabin because they know there are people either using upgrade instruments or that they could op-up in to F if needed. If they sell a full seat in F the flight would probably go to F3 J4 C1, etc.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
GPU failure. NRT-IAH 4/21 y to C on a B fare on a 2-cabin 777
Old May 7, 2013, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
My flight is on may 10, 2013. sin-nrt, w fare, use gpu two months ago. From the seat map, only 4 seats left, any chance?
Old May 8, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Marriott-Lifetime Plat.
failure due to crew rest blocking

Here is one I never saw before.

EWR->FRA

mobile says 2 seats remain in BF. I'm #2 using a GPU. The doors are about to close and I ask about the upgrade. I'm told (by several FA's) that 2 seats in BF are blocked for crew rest. I've never seen BF seats blocked like that. Especially 2 on a short 7 hour flight. Am I wrong to complain?
Old May 12, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by IADOrange
They are probably overselling the J cabin. Lets say your flight is F4 J5 C1, with 51 seats taken. UA can sell 5 J Tickets even though only 1 seat is remaining in that cabin because they know there are people either using upgrade instruments or that they could op-up in to F if needed. If they sell a full seat in F the flight would probably go to F3 J4 C1, etc.
Do non-revs have priority over op-ups? On UA 889 tomorrow (Monday), it's F3, C0, Y0. But there are 4 people on the standby list who are also on the waitlist for F and C. So I'm guessing they are non-rev. But would they op-up people from C to F to clear space in C for people like me who are in Y but have a GPU applied?
Old May 12, 2013, 5:53 pm

But would they op-up people from C to F to clear space in C for people like me who are in Y but have a GPU applied?
almost never

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.