Active thread GPU Failure Report
Print Wikipost

GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Ghery
8/20 - UA 1193 - SEA to IAH and UA 1007 - IAH to BOG SEA-IAH cleared, IAH to BOG did not

8/23 - UA 1008 - BOG to IAH and UA 565 - IAH to SEA. IAH-SEA cleared, BOG-IAH did not.

Could have used regional upgrade certs for this trip. Oh well, the globals would have expired the end of the year anyway.
you can get your GPUs back, the language is pretty clear that if the BF segment is not upgraded you are entitled to redeposit.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you can get your GPUs back, the language is pretty clear that if the BF segment is not upgraded you are entitled to redeposit.
Unfortunately, IAH-BOG is not a BF route. (Though they should call it that now, since a GPU is required after the Halloween Massacre.)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
12/6 EDI-EWR M Fare GPU applied at booking. Door closed and I'm #1 on the list again. Two seats sold out from under me in the last hour. Darn TOD/HODs
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by RockinRon
12/6 EDI-EWR M Fare GPU applied at booking. Door closed and I'm #1 on the list again. Two seats sold out from under me in the last hour. Darn TOD/HODs
Did you get an UG offer?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RockinRon
... Two seats sold out from under me in the last hour. Darn TOD/HODs
Not that it wasn't possible, do you have any evidence that was the actually reason?
Versus
-- GS / Higher fare 1K cleared on check-in,
-- late purchase
-- an award booking not previously in correct cabin (the old FFCC)
-- irrops displaced passenger (pretty unlikely I agree)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
There were lots of displaced passengers in EWR yesterday and today due to WX..including me who Amtraked to final destination.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I have to call EVERY time I do not clear - 3 so far this year - to get it redeposited. I wait until after the miles go in, but the upgrade has never gone back in without me intervening.

Conspiracy theorists, feel free to weigh in....
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skacorica
DEN-NRT. B fare. No clear. Whatever you do, do NOT try to upgrade DEN-NRT unless its mid week.
Wow, so business is that good on DEN-NRT!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by ToJ
Had zero success this year getting upgraded using GPUs for M class tickets EWR/IAD to LHR and also on the return. I always find myself as #1 or 2 on the upgrade standby list but somewhere between 5 and 12 hours before departure, the 4 to sometimes 7 or 8 open/available seats disappear and BF is full all of a sudden. Does UAL really sell that many last minute seats in TATL BF or is there another hierarchy process trumping my status and booking class?

I have my suspicions as well. BKK-NRT on 19DEC went from 7 BC seats available 4 days before departure to 0 2 days before departure. What gives here? I doubt very much that UA sold 7 business class seats in 2 days.

Seriously, UA?

Sent a letter to 1kvoice telling them I am switching my business after 25 years.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K; UA 1K
An anticipatory post with an optimistic resolution (hopefully).

Booked June 22 for Dec 20
EWR-DEL (I know Delhi's a busy route) applied GPU immediately
As of today, J=3, JN=3

Watching as months of J=9, JN=9 whittle slowly away. Hoping to edit on a positive note. That's a killer flight!!

Update:

No go. Two days out and BF booked in full. Note to self: Fly places no one wants to go. Argh.

Last edited by matkusopet; Dec 18, 2013 at 3:18 am
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Lucky fall for me.

1K status:
EWR to DEL cleared
BKK to NRT to EWR-paid to upgrade (can't remember now-maybe $700-thought it was a good deal considering how hard it is to upgrade these routes)
EWR to FRA cleared
FRA to AUH-did not clear on LH
KWI to FRA cleared (LH)
FRA to EWR cleared
ERW to BRU cleared
FRA to EWR cleared

Most were GPU's-a couple of mileage ones. Fare classes varied-some B, some much, much lower. A couple of the earlier ones were courtesy of EF call ins at the last minute-not sure how they would have turned out minus that (miss it).
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Tues 12/17 UA502 SFO-JFK (using GPU for p.s. flight because expiration near). 1K on T fare, purchased about 4 weeks before departure. First two of 8 on waitlist cleared. I was #4.

I wound up with an empty seat next to me in E+, which was just fine by me.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Ord-hkg 12/27

ORD-HKG 12/27
Q class
I was 8th on the list after they upgraded 2 (one was a pilot).

This was a bit interesting in that the flight was oversold and they were asking for volunteers to go the next day in C. I raced up to the counter and talked to the agent. He then said that he couldn't do C and that I would have to sit in Y, PLUS the compensation was only $400. I would have to connect through NRT and go to HKG on ANA. I passed and boarded the plane.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
GPU Failure Report

We had one of these for 2013 and I didn't see one for 2014, so guess I'll start it off. Mods, feel free to move it in case I overlooked the current one.

MXP-EWR 1/31/14
Booked 11/24/13 - GPU applied at booking but R=0
W Fare
Doors closed and I'm #1 on the upgrade list
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
DEN-IAD, 1/20/14
booked 10/8/13
W Fare; 1K at the time.
GPU applied at booking (positive R inventory on connecting NRT-DEN flight).
Number 18 on the waitlist after doors closed; tons of GS and full-fare premiers on flight according to agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.