1/13 SIN-NRT booked on 12/8
U
#5 on wait list with 4 seats in C :/
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:36 pm

1/9 EWR-HKG booked 12/11, not a single R seat opened up that EF caught
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
1/5 IAH-LHR UA 4.

2 GPUs given to friends, both failed to clear.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:31 am

IAD-ZRH on a W fare booked and applied in September. Ended with about 10 people on the upgrade wait list. I was in the middle of the pack.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:10 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

OSL-EWR 1/21/12
W fare
#2 on list, #1 was also 1K, but on V fare.

Booked 2 months out.

Sat in 9F and 9E was empty, so it was not too bad. The Y FAs were great except for that Asian lady who served our food as if she works in the prison cafeteria serving prisoners. If she really hates her job then she should seriously reconsider her career and go away, don't take it out on the customers.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:30 am

TLV-EWR 2/9/13
Ticket bought and GPU waitlisted months ago
When I checked in I was 5th or 6th on the list despite being 1K.
I think 2-3 were upgraded in the end.
This is a miserable route to try to get upgraded on... BF is always so full...
:-(
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Feb 7 GRU-IAH
W Class, booked 1/9
Wound up about 8th on the WL, only one seat cleared.
J had sold out about two weeks prior.
Most of J appeared to be business travellers leaving before Carnaval
When I booked Thursday was looking better than Friday departure but in the end, it didn't matter...

Any route in/out of GRU is pretty hard on peak days anymore...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:31 am

Why is no-one posting to this thread any more? Can't believe it's because upgrades are getting easier. Here's my latest failure...

TLV-EWR 3/9/13, Q fare booked and waitlisted for R in January... BF was full, there were about 12 people on the upgrade list, don't think anyone cleared...

I think this route must win the prize for the hardest GPU...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:24 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by alexperi
Do you book on the same TLV flight or do you switch around between both flights? Just wondering if both are equally difficult or if one flight is easier than the other.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
EWR-NRT should be on that list as well. It seems 2 weeks before departure J sells out. I guess it sits better with me when UA actually sells to paid J PAX, than a cash upgrade at OLCI.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Do you book on the same TLV flight or do you switch around between both flights? Just wondering if both are equally difficult or if one flight is easier than the other.
It varies, but often I am on the Sat night flight out of Israel, and I've found that one more or less impossible to upgrade. It's a busy busy flight.... R space is often available on the Sat morning flight. Midweek is mixed...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Blootch
EWR-NRT should be on that list as well. It seems 2 weeks before departure J sells out. I guess it sits better with me when UA actually sells to paid J PAX, than a cash upgrade at OLCI.
I agree. Although I get frustrated about my GPUs not upgrading on this route, I do understand that from UA's perspective, they can sell the seats, so why should they give them to me for free...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Why is no-one posting to this thread any more? Can't believe it's because upgrades are getting easier. Here's my latest failure...

TLV-EWR 3/9/13, Q fare booked and waitlisted for R in January... BF was full, there were about 12 people on the upgrade list, don't think anyone cleared...

1- I believe the 84/85 will be slightly easier to score then the 90/91. The 90/91 is an Israelis favorvite , just as LYs late flights to/from JFK

2- Friends that do clear usually watch the other flight that day via EF or KVS (not sure which) and when they get the Alert R>0 they pay the $250 change fee to switch to the Flight where R is now avaialble and grab the BF seat

3- Alot of folks play PlanB with the TLV flights, they take the Y Saver but have the Miles taken out for a BF tkt = at the airport they are considered a Displaced Business passenger, I believe they stand below those willing to ante up the $$ to get into BF but above most everyone else, if they dont clear the difference in Miles are Redeposited = they have nothing to lose by trying.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Blootch
EWR-NRT should be on that list as well.
I agree.
Oddly enough, just found and booked reverse: NRT-EWR for December 2 travel.

I was looking for flights over Thanksgiving, and searching for flights that showed R space, and found one with less than ideal dates, but it disappeared before I convinced myself to buy it. Two days later R=6 showed up, and that time I did not hesitate.

Incredibly enough it's R9 now

The two dates I checked in late November showed R=0.

EmailKid
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by craz
1- I believe the 84/85 will be slightly easier to score then the 90/91. The 90/91 is an Israelis favorvite , just as LYs late flights to/from JFK
I've never had 90 clear. 84 cleared once and at the last minute. I always fly out on a Thursday. Maybe Friday or earlier in the week would be easier to clear?

I've always had 85 clear, and I always return on Friday. Dumb luck, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.