FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread GPU Failure Report
Print Wikipost

GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
Not sure if I can call these failures but I was told there was a VERY SLIM chance of clearing so I rerouted the one below to SIN-HKG-EWR-IAH which cleared instantly.

2/4 SIN - NRT - B fare - waitlisted
2/4 NRT - IAH - B fare - waitlisted

Last edited by CroATM; Jan 30, 2012 at 12:42 am
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I really hope no one is selling of NC inventory before clearing my M fare SWU. If I figure out this is happening I will need to reassess my loyalty, but so far I have not seen proof. I have started to ask passengers who take those last seats during the flights what they did to UG.
If asked I would politely decline as it is my business. Someone interested enough to ask this question could use the answer as ammunition to go to the gate agent or purser to try and enforce their own view of how the upgrade protocol wasn't followed and I could find myself back in cattle. Air travel is public transportation after all and I don't think it anything but being private information.

Originally Posted by bldr1k
I have seen this happen right in front of me multiple times and always ask the people.
What exactly are you referring to? People always ask those on the upgrade list how they supported it, or you hear people buying them in front of you etc?

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Most people, including me, are happy to share that information. Companies hate it when people share information like this because it exposes their lies.
To each his own.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wxguy
20Jan, UA858, PVG-SFO: 77Q (seven revenue F seats). I was number 1 on the WL for C->F, and failed. The C FA told me there were 16 GSs in C, and that all F pax were on full-fare F fares. She also told me of the 40 C pax, NONE were upgraders. Remind me not to travel to/from China just before Lunar New Year!
Clearly you got bad info, as nobody pays for UA F, don't you know that? That's why Int'l F is slowly going away
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:44 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Just failed to UG with an SWU EWR-LHR last night (0/2 this year, 2/2 in Nov/Dec 2011).

When do unused SWU re-deposit, I had to call for the one on the 8th of Jan (I waited 11 days), I assume this should happen automatically, how long should I wait before I call?

Thanks,

tht
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:51 pm

IAD/GRU - paid C trying to upgrade to first. Plane change from old configuration (11 F seats) to new configuration (7 F seats). An hour later, my upgrade was confirmed; however, at the airport I was told there were no more F seats so I flew in C. United.com shows the upgrade as being used, but since it expires tomorrow, it doesn't really matter. But this was a new one - upgraded but not really - still waiting to hear back from Global Services how this could have happened. Either bad information from reservations system, United selling the upgrade out from under the waitlist, or gate agent accomodating another customer. As a GS, I'm used to being that other customer - so times are a changing.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Failed SWU on W fare. On wait list for >45 days.

CO7 IAH-NRT 2/25

Nobody on the flight was upgraded. Looks like UA sold out all 50 J seats. Well done for them but sucks for me.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
GPU upgrade "FAILURE" 2013

I hope you never have to post in this thread.

For easy reference here is the 2012 thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-2012-a.html
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My GPUs are failing on purpose - at least for international travel. I find it more convenient just to use the miles for award tickets internationally (especially on journeys involving *A partners) and then the GPUs for domestic upgrades ex-OGG if the usual upgrade looks to be elusive. The international W fares can be unattractive to someone as cheap as me...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. route NRT-BKK
2. date 2 Jan 2013
3. fare class W
4. Y-C

Ticketed and requested 5 Aug 2012. Checked in ~ 40 hours before departure, went from # 1 slowly down as low as # 8, made it back up to # 2 as they cleared C to F and Y to C. I think some last minute F and C stand-by customers did me in?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My GPUs are failing on purpose - at least for international travel. I find it more convenient just to use the miles for award tickets internationally (especially on journeys involving *A partners) and then the GPUs for domestic upgrades ex-OGG if the usual upgrade looks to be elusive. The international W fares can be unattractive to someone as cheap as me...
I can't comment on Europe, but for Asia, check out the *A upgradable fares on OZ and NH if you want to upgrade, burn fewer miles, don't use GPU's and want to earn miles on your trip. OZ will return 100%/100% for the same price as a non fare-sale UA coach ticket and NH will return 100%/150% (except to Mainland China) for a snitch more than United W class (most of the time).
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Fail

SFO-LHR B747. W fare. Ticket purchased only about 6 weeks before. December 2012 travel. #9 on upgarde list. Seat map 100% full 2 days before travel. GPU into the garbage can.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Interesting PEK-SFO GPU Fail - Jan 12

Two identical tickets from LAX-PEK purchased separately, 2 weeks apart, different fare code.

GPU cleared on both tickets for the outbound segment at T-96. On the way back, PEK-SFO segment was waitlisted for both tickets.

Ticket 1 was purchased 11/30/2012, Receipt shows 12/1/2012 date, GPU applied as soon as ticket was purchased W-fare on the PEK-SFO (Jan 12) segment.

Ticket 2 was purchased 12/12/2012, Receipt shows 12/13/2012 date, GPU applied as soon as ticket was purchased V-fare on the PEK-SFO (Jan 12) segment.

GPU from same account, so account status is the same. Both tickets waitlisted until T-24 when Ticket 1 (earlier ticket with W-fare) cleared ahead of ticket 2 (later ticket with V-fare).

Ticket 2 ended up way past #3 on the list, wasn't even close.

I had though that the fare class would trump the 2 week lead time, but apparently it was the other way around - next time I'll make sure I buy my tickets earlier.

Last edited by davewang202; Jan 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The international W fares can be unattractive to someone as cheap as me...
But the co-pay for using miles on S/T/K/L fares isn't?

It definitely depends on the route. W on a lot of European routes trends well under the lower fare + copay for miles total, maybe $200-$300 more than the cheaper fare. On east coast-HKG, I've seen W run double the L fare available at the same time, and Australia can be nearly as bad.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Ex Plt, Hilton Gold
EWR-DEL. Booked on 11/5/12 for 1/11/13. Waitlisted on H class with around 25 seats out of 50 showing available. The seats kept disappearing and got pushed to 24-h wait list. Was at #3 finally but did not make it. Called a 1K agent and she indicated I may have been done in by my late booking, which I found strange. Does the time of booking make that much of a difference in clearing GPU/RPU upgrades?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:38 am

1/12/13 (Saturday) EWR-LHR W Class booked 4 weeks out.

Checked in 24 hours in advance and #1 and on the upgrade list the entire time. First had one seat available on check-in but eventually booked full. Economy about sixty percent full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.