Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
1. Contract staff in LH uniform, but they will help.
2. Go to checkin as usual and show the voucher along with the documents you normally show when you start the process.
Beware at check-in at LAX. When I went there at T- 4.25, I was initially 1st in one of the lines, I believe it was business check-in (I was afraid of the German staff scolding me for being in the wrong line---really). But later a large family came in and waited in another line, I believe it was the economy line, and staff served them 1st. Then someone queued into the First Class line and they helped him next. Luckily the upgrades were still there and I was ok, but there is clearly a line selection issue even at T-4. I suppose next time I will wait in the FC line, esp now that I know they are contract staff and less likely to scold people (though I distinctly remember them as Germans last time).
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The contract staff is often german speaking, so you do have americans of german origin (fresh off the boat or a few years in the country) who also implement the LH philosophy. F line is available to *G, C to *S. The agent working the F line is usually the supervisor who has to put you the grading list anyway The agent with gray elements in his uniform (grey tie, scarf or the crane logo stitched in the jacket in silver grey is the duty manager. You don't see him/her in the checkin area though unless they are badly oversold.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Plat
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Since I'm now back -- I asked at the LH lounge in CDG, they said they couldn't do it. Asked at the Senator lounge in FRA, was confirmed immediately into J.

And may I say an empty J cabin on 748 seriously rocks.
I am now back as well. At checkin at CDG, the agent put me on the grading list and I was confirmed immediately when I got to FRA. I was on a paid J ticket though so I got to enjoy the ride in F
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA/LH codeshare

Sorry if this has already been asked - I have combed the board but have not found a definitive answer.

To use the paper GPU for LH, I know that the plane has to be LH metal. However, does it matter if the ticket booked is:

a) UA flight number on LH metal as codeshare?... or....
b) LH flight number on LH metal?

Which of these is eligible for the paper GPU? Many thanks,

Alex
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alexperi
Sorry if this has already been asked - I have combed the board but have not found a definitive answer.

To use the paper GPU for LH, I know that the plane has to be LH metal. However, does it matter if the ticket booked is:

a) UA flight number on LH metal as codeshare?... or....
b) LH flight number on LH metal?

Which of these is eligible for the paper GPU? Many thanks,

Alex
Just looking at the T&C (see post #75, T&C #1), I don't think it should matter.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Flight number doesn't matter, just LH metal.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
No luck on a "P" Fare

Just a data point.

Husband tried to use a paper SWU (this is one of those issued in 2011, which doesn't exclude Z or P fares) at SFO on 7/16 for an upgrade to F on LH455.

Agent wouldn't allow it and stated that P fares aren't upgradeable. Husband asked him to look at the back and note that P fare wasn't on the list of excluded fares. Agent pointed to the "IP" fare and stated that it meant "International P."

We enjoyed our the excellent service (at least in our experience) in LH C.

It was my first time on the A380. Yes, seats suck but the cabin felt much more spacious than on the 747 or A340.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Flight number doesn't matter, just LH metal.
+1. I've done this a bunch of times and the flight number/codeshare stuff has never mattered. Just has to be a LH bird with the right fare class (and one time to ADD that didn't matter, either).
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:40 am

paper gpu use at NAP

Flying NAP->FRA->SFO in early October, anyone know if the Naples LH desk would be willing and able to push me onto the grading list for LH 454 FRA->SFO? Speaking of which, anyone have experience trying to clear Y->C on this route in late summer (thurs departure).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:03 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Excuse me if I missed this in my search, but do the UA and LH fare classes correspond? Based on my reading of the UA website, redemption depends on the LH fare class, so if you book on the UA site on, say a "Q" fare, will it book into a "Q" fare on LH?

That all being said, anyone had success using a certificate leaving from Orlando (MCO)?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:57 am

UA:LH maps 1:1.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:34 pm

Upgrading SFO-FRA?

Have folks had any luck using a United GPU to upgrade
economy to business on LH 455, the A380 flight from
SFO to FRA, or is this flight as difficult to upgrade as
United's own flights?

I am considering a Saturday or possibly Sunday flight
in mid-September, V or Q fare most likely.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:21 am

LH 455 is fine as long as there is space in C. Its standby at the airport, as you may recall.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:56 pm

LH 455 is fine as long as there is space in C. Its standby at the airport, as you may recall.
Yes, I do realize it's standby at the airport only.
I was wondering if LH 455 routinely sells out in paid C
on Saturdays. I know United's flights from SFO to FRA
often do and even GS folks end up in economy.

Basically, I am trying to decide whether to settle for
a nice E+ seat on United or take a gamble on the LH flight,
with the risk that if I don't get the upgrade I'll be stuck
in a bad economy seat for 10+ hours.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by AustinPilot
Yes, I do realize it's standby at the airport only.
I was wondering if LH 455 routinely sells out in paid C
on Saturdays. I know United's flights from SFO to FRA
often do and even GS folks end up in economy.

Basically, I am trying to decide whether to settle for
a nice E+ seat on United or take a gamble on the LH flight,
with the risk that if I don't get the upgrade I'll be stuck
in a bad economy seat for 10+ hours.
If I were you, I'd take the UA one. E+ is way better than LH's E- and LH 455 has the angled flat in C, which blows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.