Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
With a united paper swu w and s are ok to upg on lh even though the cert doesnt include w and s?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH W&S are not upgradable using a UA GPU/SWU paper cert.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:46 am

Programs: united, american
Question

I am flying SFO-FRA-BLR and back on United in E on a B fare. SFO-FRA is on UA metal, FRA-BLR is on LH. I am trying to use GPUs for all the segments so I have 2 paper certs for the FRA-BLR portion both ways and I am on the waiting list for the SFO-FRA portion. I a newbie & have a bunch of questions:

(a) Can I get on the LH upgrade list in SFO? Will United be able to help with this or do I need to go the LH desk and beg someone there to help?

(b) Where do I give the certificate in FRA -- at the transfer desk or at the gate?

(c) How early should I get to the airport in BLR to have a chance on the way back?

(d) For future reference: would I have been better off with the ticket issued on LH paper? In this case in SFO I would have checked at the LH counter (good) but could I still have used the GPU on the UA metal?

Many thanks & sorry if those q's were asked and answered before. -- ZB
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:06 am

My recent UA paper GPU with LH at FRA...

Connecting counter agents don't know how to do ( the lounge agent said that later, they cannot enter another system ). So, I don't know if the SFO LH agent can do anything. Went to the lounge and the lounge agent did the upgrade for us there and then ( FRA JNB ). She then attached the paper GPU to the boarding, marked the boarding so when we board, the gate agent will look for the paper GPU ( so one cannot cheat them; get upgraded and don't hand over the paper GPU ).
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: AS MVP
Avoiding Dumb Mistakes

Hey all,

Using a UA SWU on LH for the first time this week and want to make sure I have crossed my t's, etc before the trip to avoid a stupid mistake.

Flying TPA-IAH on UA and then IAH-FRA on LH. Both Y-fares. Upgrade already cleared on TPA-IAH and I have about 3 hours to connect. Paper cert requested from UA and in-hand.

1) Do I mention anything at check-in in Tampa about the upgrade or just wait until I get to IAH?
2) Once I arrive in IAH, where is the best place to have the upgrade processed? Do I exit security and go to the check-in counter? Lounge (although no LH lounge)?
3) Do I need to call LH in advance to be meal-listed or the like?

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

You have to find an LH agent in IAH, no way to list yourself in TPA or call ahead.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by zburator
(a) Can I get on the LH upgrade list in SFO? Will United be able to help with this or do I need to go the LH desk and beg someone there to help?

(b) Where do I give the certificate in FRA -- at the transfer desk or at the gate?

(c) How early should I get to the airport in BLR to have a chance on the way back?

(d) For future reference: would I have been better off with the ticket issued on LH paper? In this case in SFO I would have checked at the LH counter (good) but could I still have used the GPU on the UA metal?

Many thanks & sorry if those q's were asked and answered before. -- ZB
a. no, most agents won't have the authorisation to list you for flight ex-FRA.
b. try the transfer desk, a checkin counter or the lounge. Ask to put on the 'grading list'
c. 3h in advance
d. no, the paper GPU uprades are dealt with in the DCS, which sees all tickets the same way.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:46 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
I am going to fly BUD-FRA-SEA on LH and want to upgrade the long haul flight. Can the check-in agents at Budapest process the paper GPU certificate?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Out Station Agents

I have had success in the past getting the first LH agent of the day to process the upgrade but I think that others have not - so YMMV. In at least one case (RUH) the contract agents had to go find the LH station manager to get it done, but I left the ticket counter with all segments upgraded from coach to business.

Originally Posted by uwr
I am going to fly BUD-FRA-SEA on LH and want to upgrade the long haul flight. Can the check-in agents at Budapest process the paper GPU certificate?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
never had any problems with being listed for an upgrade, and even sometimes clearing ex fra when leaving from cdg or muc. As long as my connecting flight is on the same ticket as my long haul flight, otherwise I could not even be put on the wait list and had to wait to be in FRA.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:59 pm

Sponsored GPU upgrade on Lufthansa

Can a 1K sponsor a GPU based 'paper upgrade' for someone on Lufthansa?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Yes. I think you just ask United to print it out and send it to you. You then give the paper upgrade to your friend.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by sannmann
Yes. I think you just ask United to print it out and send it to you. You then give the paper upgrade to your friend.
Does United sent it in paper or in electronic format?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH W&S are not upgradable using a UA GPU/SWU paper cert.
I was able to upgrade on a W flight...maybe they were being nice but they threw me up front with no issues.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shortkidd
I was able to upgrade on a W flight...maybe they were being nice but they threw me up front with no issues.
assume it was a LH W fare, you got lucky
The following Lufthansa fares are not eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: Z, P, W, S, T, L, K, R, E, X, I, O, ID, AD and IP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.