Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shortkidd
I was able to upgrade on a W flight...maybe they were being nice but they threw me up front with no issues.
Was this recently? Which route?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:37 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by seattleBH
I have had success in the past getting the first LH agent of the day to process the upgrade but I think that others have not - so YMMV. In at least one case (RUH) the contract agents had to go find the LH station manager to get it done, but I left the ticket counter with all segments upgraded from coach to business.
Thanks. I'll post my experience in a couple of weeks after my flight.

I just reached 1K and got my electronic GPUs yesterday. I called MP morning, and they said that they usually require two weeks' notice for the paper certificates. My outbound flight is on Sept 18, so they offered express shipment. I didn't ask; they just offered.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum
Same thing happened to me last year; I called two days before leaving, hoping to upgrade on my return Lufthansa leg, and United FedExed me the paper certificate I needed.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
get on grading list at VIE?

In early October I'm flying OS LCA-ATH-VIE-FRA, then the next day FRA-LAX on LH in a 747-4. I'd like to get on the grading list to use my paper GPU on the LH flight. Anyone know if that would be possible at VIE, or must I wait until FRA? Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
OS in VIE uses a different Unisys DCS, so they can not get access to the LH grading list. However, if you are in FRA the previous day, just head over to a ticket/transfer desk and request to be put on the grading list.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
FRA ticket desk opening hours?

Originally Posted by oliver2002
OS in VIE uses a different Unisys DCS, so they can not get access to the LH grading list. However, if you are in FRA the previous day, just head over to a ticket/transfer desk and request to be put on the grading list.
Thank you for the reponse. I arrive in FRA at 2130. Will they still be open?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Sure, LH flights depart FRA till 22.30.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:02 pm

Thanks. For some reason I couldn't find the ticket desk hours on the LH website.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:51 am

I am considering my first attempt to use GPUs to UG on LH.

1. Does anyone have experience being added to grading list in DEL? Any issues there (assuming it's outsourced staff)?

2. When does the grading list get cleared? Outbound will be LHR-MUC-DEL and return will be DEL-MUC-SFO. In both cases, I'll arrive at MUC only a few hours before next flight. Is it reasonable to request an UG at T-2 or would the seats have already been given away by that time?

3. In transit at MUC, where is best place to go? The gate? The lounge? In DEL, I assume it's requested at check-in?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I am considering my first attempt to use GPUs to UG on LH.

1. Does anyone have experience being added to grading list in DEL? Any issues there (assuming it's outsourced staff)?

2. When does the grading list get cleared? Outbound will be LHR-MUC-DEL and return will be DEL-MUC-SFO. In both cases, I'll arrive at MUC only a few hours before next flight. Is it reasonable to request an UG at T-2 or would the seats have already been given away by that time?

3. In transit at MUC, where is best place to go? The gate? The lounge? In DEL, I assume it's requested at check-in?
Can't help you on the DEL question. Munich last time they did add and clear me at the SEN lounge. She managed to clear me right away after I entered the lounge and asked at the entry desk. Then she sent me on my way to the F lounge
You are aware though that you need 1 GPU per segment so in your case it is a total of 4.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:16 am

DEL agents will be able to put you on the list for flights ex DEL, no more. MUC flight managers usually leave the list open, so any agent can process the upgrade on the spot, no listing required. LHR is run by menzies agents, I doubt they can list you for flights leaving MUC.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA Million Miler, Hertz #1, Five Star, Marriott Gold
My wife and I are flying SAT-ORD-FRA-VCE on LH in October. The flight from SAT-ORD is UA, the rest are LH. I have the GPU paper certs and want to upgrade out of ORD. How does the process actually work? (Our booking class in Y is upgradeable.)

LH has no presence at SAT, so the process will have to start at ORD. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by German Expat
You are aware though that you need 1 GPU per segment so in your case it is a total of 4.
Ahh!!!! Good to know, will request 4 paper certs from UA (SFO-FRA-BLR).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by German Expat
Can't help you on the DEL question. Munich last time they did add and clear me at the SEN lounge. She managed to clear me right away after I entered the lounge and asked at the entry desk. Then she sent me on my way to the F lounge
Yes. It's a good way to burn them since UA won't extend them. Ironically, I could do the whole trip for 2 GPUs if they'd UG me on DEL-EWR but I don't trust them for that.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
DEL agents will be able to put you on the list for flights ex DEL, no more. MUC flight managers usually leave the list open, so any agent can process the upgrade on the spot, no listing required. LHR is run by menzies agents, I doubt they can list you for flights leaving MUC.
Thanks, Oliver - I always appreciate your posts - they are extremely helpful.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 19, 2012 at 5:59 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by svancleavemd
LH has no presence at SAT, so the process will have to start at ORD. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Yes, either at the checkin desk in T1 or at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.