Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
Has anyone had luck recently having the paper certs sent to a destination outside North America? I gave my address on the telephone to the agent when I made the request and reconfirmed it several times, yet the cert was sent to what appears to be a previous address on file in the US where they sent one several years ago.

When I called, I was told that as a 1K they would send it, but because the address is outside North America, they do not use FedEx, but another courier service.

Needless to say, I flew without my cert...
A co-worker of mine was successful with this just last week. I had told him about using GPU for LH just 1 day before he flew to Istanbul. After speaking to the Premier Line, they could not FedEx the paper certs to his home address in just the one day before he flew out, but instead they would FedEx the paper certs to his address on file, even if it happened to be to the Hilton in Istanbul (he was there for about a week). He changed his address in his MP profile for the moment and the agent issued the paper certs to be FedEx-ed over to the Hilton. He had success using them after connecting through FRA.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:16 pm

Thanks. Interesting about the address on his MP profile being the contact address. I reviewed my address several times with the agent, and the address where the certs were received is definitely not the one in my profile.

Hopefully that was just a one time event. It sounds like he received them overnight? I was told that due to the address being in Europe they would take 10-14 days, even after I pointed out that in past they didn't take that long. That may be their standard caution however.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
Thanks. Interesting about the address on his MP profile being the contact address. I reviewed my address several times with the agent, and the address where the certs were received is definitely not the one in my profile.

Hopefully that was just a one time event. It sounds like he received them overnight? I was told that due to the address being in Europe they would take 10-14 days, even after I pointed out that in past they didn't take that long. That may be their standard caution however.
FedEx took about 4-6 days over to Istanbul.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: Continental Plat (RIP); United 1K MM; Starwood Plat; Hilton Diamond
Expiration of the Lufthansa UG certs

Hi folks - Just curious, does the expiration/valid thru date on the LH paper certificate coincide with the original electronic UA cert? I see through this thread if you redeposit the paper certs they will reappear in your account with the original expiration date, so I would assume the printed paper certificate would show the same validity period? It'd be great if the paper certificates expired one year from the date they were printed...
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by atk5015
FedEx took about 4-6 days over to Istanbul.
Perfect! Thanks again for all the information.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by cooltraveler
Hi folks - Just curious, does the expiration/valid thru date on the LH paper certificate coincide with the original electronic UA cert? I see through this thread if you redeposit the paper certs they will reappear in your account with the original expiration date, so I would assume the printed paper certificate would show the same validity period? It'd be great if the paper certificates expired one year from the date they were printed...
They expire the date your electronic certificate would expire. So my current one for a planned flight in August shows 12/31/2012.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: Continental Plat (RIP); United 1K MM; Starwood Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by German Expat
They expire the date your electronic certificate would expire. So my current one for a planned flight in August shows 12/31/2012.
Thanks German Expat!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
Question on Sponsoring a Paper GPU on LH

As I am going to have a spare GPU/SWU for this year (and they seem to be worthless to trade) I am thinking of gifting it to a friend who is flying in from Europe on LH. Obviously it will be easier to use it on the return trip, when I can potentially be at the airport the them to sign it over. But then I got to thinking....
1) Can I do this and when I ask for it to become a paper GPU, do I have to specify the travellers name and FF#
2) Do I have to be present at the airport for them to use the certificate
3) This is a student, who has a booking class of K (which according to all I can find looks to be a valid class)

is there anything else I am not thinking of?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lhiltz
As I am going to have a spare GPU/SWU for this year (and they seem to be worthless to trade) I am thinking of gifting it to a friend who is flying in from Europe on LH. Obviously it will be easier to use it on the return trip, when I can potentially be at the airport the them to sign it over. But then I got to thinking....
1) Can I do this and when I ask for it to become a paper GPU, do I have to specify the travellers name and FF#
2) Do I have to be present at the airport for them to use the certificate
3) This is a student, who has a booking class of K (which according to all I can find looks to be a valid class)

is there anything else I am not thinking of?
The coupon itself is transferable, so there's nothing special you'll need to do. I was actually surprised to find that they're not more restrictive, but it's nice when you realize you can't use one yourself and want to just give it away immediately.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:15 pm

and does anyone know the priority on paper GPU upgrades?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Plat
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Similar question for CDG. Flying CDG-FRA-IAD (74H )

Could CDG agents put me on list (counter or lounge) or wait till FRA?
I too am interested in whether i can get on the grading list at CDG. ANyone?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM + 1k, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nieder2
I too am interested in whether i can get on the grading list at CDG. ANyone?

I tried to use paper certs twice last year in a similar situation. First leg of trip was CDG - FRA, 2nd leg was to FRA to US and I wanted to use the converted SWU on the trans-Atlantic flight.

On the first trip, I went to the airport the day before travel and a very nice LH agent just confirmed me directly in Biz class. It was brilliant, since it was my first experience in C on a A380.

One the second trip, I tried the same thing. No dice. Not only did I not get confirmed in C, the LH agent would not even put me on the grading list. By the time I arrived at FRA the next day, the agents there said there were too many people on the grading list and would not put me on it.

It's dangerous to draw conclusions from two data points, but I'd say (1) it's possible but that (2) it depends on the personality of the agent.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Again, you have to pick your agent. LH employees have more authorisations and can put you on the grading list for other flights than that particular airport. Contract employees cannot do anything outside of that particular station.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by lhiltz
K class does not allow upgrades: see
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wupgrades.aspx

Some older certificates (printed in 2011) do not exclude it, but I expect that the LH agents will not honor the certificate (look at earlier posts around end of 2011 for extensive discussions).

If it were for your personal use, you could try to make a case that the certificate should be honored based on the printed T&C (and still probably fail), but personally I would not hand the paper SWU to a third party under these conditions.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:49 am

Thanks CASAflyer, looks like I will keep my GPU and use it domestically unless miracles happen and we are able to extend them into 2013...not counting on this one, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.