Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by schley
no

Thanks. So column 1 is for short flights. I assume that means intra europe since that isn't listed in the other 2.
no column one are the old 'long distance' classes that were replaced with the charts in column 2 and 3. This chart does not state intra europe (not that I would waste a GPU for that).
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
.......For Economy class on LH
eligible = B Y G H M Q U V / not eligible = W E K L S T.....
The paper GPU I have actually prints "Not valid on K, L, X, I, R, N, E, S, W, Z, ID, AD and IP fares. Additionally, not valid on intra-Europe flights on T fares." Does that mean you can upgrade on transatlantic T fares? Kind of strange as T is one of the lowest fares. Anyone with experience upgrading transatlantic T fares?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Lufthansa currently has no T fare transatlantic. LH has been introducing new fare classes for transatlantic travel and UA had to adjust the fare classes on the paper certicates always after the fact which caused some issues for me in the past when using these certicates. As a rule of thumb, V class and up when booking in coach and any biz fare except Z will get you on the standby list at the airport using these certificates.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Christefan
Lufthansa currently has no T fare transatlantic. ....
The current LH sales fares book into T.@:-) Choose "Economy Basic I".
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
The paper GPU I have actually prints "[I]Not valid on K, L, X, I, R, N, E, S, W, Z, ID, AD and IP fares.
FWIW I drove myself nuts trying to remember which fares were eligible until I finally noticed the ineligible economy fares you might actually see for sale spell out WRINKLES. That made my life so much easier.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
I will be flying STR (Stuttgart)–MUC–SFO and want to use a GPU on the MUC-SFO segment. Will the agents at STR be able to add my name to the MUC-SFO grading list?

Assuming that the STR agents are able to add my name to the grading list, would checking-in much earlier at STR put me at the top of the grading list?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Christefan
As a rule of thumb, V class and up when booking in coach and any biz fare except Z will get you on the standby list at the airport using these certificates.
Z & P are now excluded in Business.

Originally Posted by tealeaf99
I will be flying STR (Stuttgart)–MUC–SFO and want to use a GPU on the MUC-SFO segment. Will the agents at STR be able to add my name to the MUC-SFO grading list?

Assuming that the STR agents are able to add my name to the grading list, would checking-in much earlier at STR put me at the top of the grading list?
STR can put you on the grading list, MUC will process the upgrade, usually you will be first on the list behind any invols or pax who paid business/first but for some reason didn't get a seat assignment.

Originally Posted by TerryK
The paper GPU I have actually prints "Not valid on K, L, X, I, R, N, E, S, W, Z, ID, AD and IP fares. Additionally, not valid on intra-Europe flights on T fares." Does that mean you can upgrade on transatlantic T fares? Kind of strange as T is one of the lowest fares. Anyone with experience upgrading transatlantic T fares?
T is lower than V, W, & S, (see above) so no dice.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Wow - that would have been a good loophole, but now fixed, I gather...

Since when?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Some weeks ago P got excluded. UA has allowed LH to do this, thanks to the paragraph 3 in the fine print T&C.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1.3 MM, UA Plt, Marriott Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Just want to report a success...Mrs. Mansh 17 and I used SWUs to upgrade from coach to business on LH 437 ORD to DUS yesterday...thanks for everyone's help....now hopefully we can get our return trip home FRA-IAD on 6/21 to clear....
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Has anybody successfully upgraded from C to F on a "P" fare? Husband has older paper SWU's that don't mention "P" as excluded but expect that it will be up to the individual agent's discretion. Just looking for some hope.

On the flip side, has anybody been denied a C to F upgrade while on a "P" fare even if their SWU didn't mention "P" on the excluded fares list?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
STR can put you on the grading list, MUC will process the upgrade, usually you will be first on the list behind any invols or pax who paid business/first but for some reason didn't get a seat assignment.
I'm in a similar situation (although BHX)...

If I request the UG for my FRA-JNB flight in BHX (instead of FRA), who do I forfeit the SWU Certificate to - the agent in BHX or someone else in FRA when/if the UG goes through?

-jeremy
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note

T is lower than V, W, & S, (see above) so no dice.
That may be their intent, but because the certificate is phrased as excluding certain fare classes you may be able to use it on T. IME they always look at the cert and see if your fare class is excluded. It's not about policy or intent, it's about what's written on the cert. A similar thing happened when LH excluded Z, reports here were that you could still use the old certs that didn't state the exclusion.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
I'm in a similar situation (although BHX)...

If I request the UG for my FRA-JNB flight in BHX (instead of FRA), who do I forfeit the SWU Certificate to - the agent in BHX or someone else in FRA when/if the UG goes through?

-jeremy
They usually mark the cert as used and staple it to your boarding pass. You turn it over at the gate when you board.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
I'm flying IAD-MUC-TBS (Tbilisi, Georgia) in August on a B fare. I applied a GPU and the IAD-MUC leg already cleared. Is there any chance that I can use this same GPU to get an upgrade on the MUC-TBS (operated by LH) leg as well? The LH flight is booked with a UA flight number. Or would I have to use another GPU were I to shoot for the upgrade on that last leg?

Thanks in advance for any insights here.

EDIT: just re-read some earlier posts and I think I'd have to use a separate GPU since the UA one is presumably already marked 'used' in the system, right? IAD-MUC leg is on UA if that makes any difference.

Last edited by AK-business-traveler; Jun 21, 2012 at 5:13 pm Reason: clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.