Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
I can confirm that z fares are not upgradeable when using a UA paper SWU that was printed in late January. I was denied in both CLT and MUC.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Did I miss something perhaps reading the terms of the new certificate. Are the paper certificates transferable?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
A little advice please.

Travelling CPH-FRA-JFK. Want to try use GPU for the FRA-JFK leg. Do I discuss with / present the upgrade cert to the check-in staff at CPH (who I think are usually SK staff) or at the gate in FRA?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Did I miss something perhaps reading the terms of the new certificate. Are the paper certificates transferable?
Based on the image in post #75 of this thread: "Certificate is transferable, but void is sold or bartered", on the front page. Same wording I have in the certificates I requested in Dec 2011 (the last batch with Z class non-excluded).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
Based on the image in post #75 of this thread: "Certificate is transferable, but void is sold or bartered", on the front page. Same wording I have in the certificates I requested in Dec 2011 (the last batch with Z class non-excluded).
Thanks! I knew I had missed it. I was looking for it in the fine print on the back.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:48 pm

The LH cert printout (shown in #75) says "T fare are also excluded on Intra-Europe flights" (back) and "Additional, not valid on Intra-Europe flights on T fares" (front).

I'm looking at LH travel YYZ-FRA/MUC-BRU. The cheapest published fare is in fact a T fare. Space permitting, should I be allowed to upgrade the YYZ-FRA/MUC segment if I book in T? Clearly the FRA/MUC-BRU segment would not be upgradeable; I'm fine with that.

Now, I could pay an extra $300+ r/t to upgrade to a V fare. That's OK too, but clearly avoiding that additional expense is that much better.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by bedelman
The LH cert printout (shown in #75) says "T fare are also excluded on Intra-Europe flights" (back) and "Additional, not valid on Intra-Europe flights on T fares" (front).

I'm looking at LH travel YYZ-FRA/MUC-BRU. The cheapest published fare is in fact a T fare. Space permitting, should I be allowed to upgrade the YYZ-FRA/MUC segment if I book in T? Clearly the FRA/MUC-BRU segment would not be upgradeable; I'm fine with that.

Now, I could pay an extra $300+ r/t to upgrade to a V fare. That's OK too, but clearly avoiding that additional expense is that much better.
For the short distance to BRU, don't bother. Your upgrade will be into LH's European "Business" cabin which means that you'll have a plane with three seats across and the middle seat blocked (passengers only in aisle and window seats). It's honestly not worth the extra money to guarantee the upgrade on the connection.

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Yes, they are fully transferrable. I've given some of mine away to several coworkers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:11 pm

As to using Global Premier Upgrades to upgrade T fares:

Rereading this thread, I found post #24 which seems to exclude T altogether ("On intercontinental flights, this [exclusion] applies to the following booking classes with: - Lufthansa (LH) E, K, L, P, T"). Now, that post cites this page for upgrades with LH Miles & More miles, whereas this thread (and my question) is about upgrades using printed United Global Premier Upgrades.

On one hand, the language quoted in #75 lists numerous specific ineligible fares, and T is only excluded for segments within Europe. Then again, that same language is remarkably harsh as to changes to eligible: booking classes "LH reserves the right to change hte eligible fare classes at any time without notice". If transatlantic T is actually ineligible, I'd probably rather just pay extra now, rather than have problems later.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: United 1K
How early can one request an upgrade with the paper cert?

Must it be the same day of travel when you request the upgrade? Or can you do it right after OLCI opens? For example, if the flight is at 10 PM on day T, can you do OLCI at 10 PM on day T - 1, show up at the airport immediately thereafter, and request the upgrade then? Would this maximize one's chances?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
From stations in Germany you can show up at the airport and ask to be put on the 'grading list'. If the FM left the flight open, then the upgrade my confirm instantly and you get a new BP. All other stations prefer to do the upgrade on the day of departure.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:50 am

Grading list addition from LHR for FRA flight?

Does anyone have experience on requesting to be added to the grading list for a flight departing from FRA when checking in on the first leg at LHR? Are the LHR folks LH employee with good access in Pictures, or just contractors?

I left myself 3 hours in FRA to connect and apply the paper SWU, but it would be great to manage to get on the grading list earlier.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LHR is handled by Menzies staff, previously in bmi uniform. The have a good command of Pictures but I doubt they can put you on the grading list for a flight departing from FRA.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
LHR is handled by Menzies staff, previously in bmi uniform. The have a good command of Pictures but I doubt they can put you on the grading list for a flight departing from FRA.
Thanks oliver2002!
Old May 2, 2012, 5:47 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Is anyone else having trouble getting the upgraded LH flight to credit miles to UA? Mr. Ericka had 4 flights with LH well over a week ago, and all but the one GPU upgraded flight have deposited their miles.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by ExRSA
A little advice please.

Travelling CPH-FRA-JFK. Want to try use GPU for the FRA-JFK leg. Do I discuss with / present the upgrade cert to the check-in staff at CPH (who I think are usually SK staff) or at the gate in FRA?

Thanks.
IME sometimes they can do it and sometimes they can't. I've gotten a FRA-SFO upgrade processed while checking in in HKG, but told in ROM they can't do it and I had to do it in FRA. Depends on the station and the willingness/competence of the staff. Just have to ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.