Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Luv2FlyOutofDIA
Do they still work like system-wides on Lufthansa? What are the fare codes that are NOT eligible for upgrades? Please help - flying on the 2nd and have already orders paper certificates! Thanks.
no change to the rules AFAIK. V-class or higher to C and then there is the Z-class issue to F where you technically can't use a SWU but sometimes it works ... until LH stops it for their own Senators later this year
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: United 1K
So Q fares are upgradeable with paper GPUs? And what's the best way to keep abreast of business class upgrade availability on LH?

Last edited by silent129; Mar 28, 2012 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I didn't know that United Global Premier Upgrades could be printed out for use on LH-operated flights...sorry I'm just new to United (loyal CO guy for years) - where can I find more information about this? As far as I can tell from the United site is that United GPU's must be used on UA-operated flights.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Thanks for posting the rules. Does the "valid carrier" rukle apply to United as well? i.e. if it's a UA flight number and UA stock it's valid day of flight only?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:03 am

Sort of a different question - can you use LH e-cert's (their version of the SWU) on UA flights? If so, is the process the same?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is what I was also told when I called in, speaking to the HNL call center.

Originally Posted by cfischer
no change to the rules AFAIK. V-class or higher to C and then there is the Z-class issue to F where you technically can't use a SWU but sometimes it works ... until LH stops it for their own Senators later this year
Wait - where did you see this??!

Will they still allow HONs to upgrade then?

They'll have a *lot* of empty F cabins flying around then!

Update: Found it - was flying another carrier (non-LH) for the past 3-4 days! : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...iles-more.html

Originally Posted by indiansfan07
I didn't know that United Global Premier Upgrades could be printed out for use on LH-operated flights...sorry I'm just new to United (loyal CO guy for years) - where can I find more information about this? As far as I can tell from the United site is that United GPU's must be used on UA-operated flights.
On the same call with the HNL (PMUA) call center, I was told that GPUs printed for use on LH were not available any longer, only to be used on UA metal (and Copa?) flights - this was only one call/datapoint, but can anyone confirm this??

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Mar 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The COdbaUA website is awfully silent about the GPU printed for use on LH topic. Did any of the previous posters get their printed certs? I'm dying to update the previous paper SWU thread...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
GPU on LH operated flight

Apologize if this has been asked before - I tried posting on of the related forums however it was closed for new messages.
I'm planing a trip IAH - VIE - IAH this upcoming Oct.
Since I've never flown C on the LH A380-800, i thought this may be worth a shot.
I still have 4 GPU (Ex SWU) in my aco.....
Will I be able to upgrade a LH W fare using this GPU or now, after the merger, it is no longer possible?

Any advice will help,
Thanks,
R
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
This is still possible, though you will get a certificate that is redeemable only on the day of departure (space available). When you call MP Service Center I think only the supervisors can do it right now.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH W fares are excluded, you need to have a V or upwards.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
On LH, can a GPU be used on multiple legs? For instance, could I upgrade ATL-FRA-BOM with a single UA GPU, assuming I had a high-enough fare class?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have another question about this LH paper upgrade certificate issue. If I get a certificate using one of my GPUs, but then fail to make the upgrade on the flight itself, will the GPU be restored to my account, or have I lost the GPU for ever?

Thanks for anyone who can help with this, I have tried to find the information on the site but as others have noted, it's not very clear!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by alexperi
If I get a certificate using one of my GPUs, but then fail to make the upgrade on the flight itself, will the GPU be restored to my account, or have I lost the GPU for ever?
From Terms and Conditions on SWU (got it before 3/3).Unused certificate has to be mailed to the Mileage Plus Service Center for redepositing and will have the expiration date of the original upgrade.

And it's one segment upgrade.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:40 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
Yes they can be printed... yes they work (on H class and above)

I just received the 2 I requested 9 days after the call requesting them. I had to get to a Service Director, the pmCO guy on the phone wasn't familiar with the process yet, but he did understand what I wanted and that it could be done.

He kept asking me for the LH itinerary # or flights ... I kept assuring him it wasn't necessary, these are for same-day standby use and I wasn't going to book my flights until I knew i had the certs and what fare buckets I could use.

I kept coming up with S L and K fares ... but after a lot of searching was able to finally find H all around on flights that looked pretty good for availability in C.

My process - I open up my company's booking engine to find out what flights it wants me to take (nice way of saying cheapest) ... and on my other screen I open LH website and book a reservation in C class - you have to go past dates & flights and actually go through to the step of entering your name, FF#, date of birth to get to seat selection - at that point you can see the seat map.

Hope that helps someone out there trying to make their SWUs work...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Good news, in the last week I used aperture upgrade cents on LH for FRA - JNB and back. The challenge was getting the certain delivered from UA, but after a few calls the came I FedEx. Thanks to LH for the upgrade, that 10+ hour flight s tough in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.