Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pterosaur
From Terms and Conditions on SWU (got it before 3/3).Unused certificate has to be mailed to the Mileage Plus Service Center for redepositing and will have the expiration date of the original upgrade.

And it's one segment upgrade.
Just realized that I still have a couple of the paper certs and they expire in three weeks. If they were redeposited, I might be able to use them on UA flights. Do you know how long redeposits take?

As another option, can the paper certs be used on UA flights? I know they say LH-only, but IIRC you used to be able to use them on UA as well. Did CO ever have paper SWUs?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by ualvet
Just realized that I still have a couple of the paper certs and they expire in three weeks. If they were redeposited, I might be able to use them on UA flights. Do you know how long redeposits take?

As another option, can the paper certs be used on UA flights? I know they say LH-only, but IIRC you used to be able to use them on UA as well. Did CO ever have paper SWUs?
The last time I redeposited, in December, it got credited pretty quick. Maybe two weeks after sending via snail mail. But with all the systems shenanigans these days I'd say all best are off.

The certs cannot be used on UA flights.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
As malgudi notes, UA has confirmed that GPUs will be good on LH. That said, we have already seen ome change. UA's website now says Z is not eligible for upgrade on LH, althought there has yet to be a report of a paper SWU that disallows Z.
Any update? Are new paper UA GPU excluded from LH Z fare?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by TerryK
Any update? Are new paper UA GPU excluded from LH Z fare?
I just ordered some GPUs to paper. I will know for sure in about 10 days, but it is 99.99 percent certain that if SWUs printed between Jan 1 and March 2 excluded Z (and they do, I have several), then GPUs printed on or after March 3 will also exclude Z.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
missed that in the mess of comments UA Insider made

but as many have learned it is neither UA web or what is printed on the SWUs that matters, but the rules the LH agents go by.
Every report I've read says LH employees, at least those in Germany, go by the toc of what is printed on the SWU at least when it comes to upgrading Z.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
I just ordered some GPUs to paper. I will know for sure in about 10 days, but it is 99.99 percent certain that if SWUs printed between Jan 1 and March 2 excluded Z (and they do, I have several), then GPUs printed on or after March 3 will also exclude Z.

Every report I've read says LH employees, at least those in Germany, go by the toc of what is printed on the SWU at least when it comes to upgrading Z.
I tried to upgrade a T fare last year with the old certificates (the certificate specifically stated it was for S or higher). The ticket agent in Munich tried to apply the upgrade, but the system would not let her. She called a supervisor, and he knew off-the bat that you couldn't do it. My guess is Z is going to work the same way.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
paper SWU only on LH?

Is LH the only *A airline that does the paper SWU/GPU? (i.e. otherwise it can only be used on UA and Copa flights)
And where is that mentioned on the United website?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
Is LH the only *A airline that does the paper SWU/GPU? (i.e. otherwise it can only be used on UA and Copa flights)
And where is that mentioned on the United website?
Yes to the first.

As for the second, this benefit is no longer listed. A change you will like or an oversight? Hard to say. I will know in a week or so if my paper GPUs show up.

Last edited by mre5765; Apr 10, 2012 at 7:32 am
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
I can confirm that LH is not allowing upgrades from Z. I tried in both CLT and MUC to use an SWU that was printed in late January which excludes Z. This seems to be inline with the LH refurb program for their F product. I am too lazy to look, but I think that LH is now also not allowing their own M&M members to upgrade from deeply discounted tickets.

While I am very unhappy about this (I fly 10 or 12 segments a year on LH Z fares), I doubt that this is UA's fault. I do wish that there had been an announcement about this so that I could have had my old (June 2011) SWU's converted to paper before this change.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77
On LH, can a GPU be used on multiple legs? For instance, could I upgrade ATL-FRA-BOM with a single UA GPU, assuming I had a high-enough fare class?
No.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:18 am

Assigning Paper GPU to Colleague at Check-In

I ordered two paper GPUs to be used on LH and they arrived 6 days later by post. I am traveling with a colleague both on C fares to MUC. The paper GPUs are both in my name (clearly printed on front). Does anyone know if it is possible to assign one of the paper GPUs over to my colleague at the time of check-in on the day of travel? I, of course, will be attempting to use the other one. Our goal would be for both of us to move to F (perhaps a long-shot). Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADBWIDCA
I ordered two paper GPUs to be used on LH and they arrived 6 days later by post. I am traveling with a colleague both on C fares to MUC. The paper GPUs are both in my name (clearly printed on front). Does anyone know if it is possible to assign one of the paper GPUs over to my colleague at the time of check-in on the day of travel? I, of course, will be attempting to use the other one. Our goal would be for both of us to move to F (perhaps a long-shot). Thanks.
There is no assignment, at least not in pre March 3 SWUs. I haven't seen a post March 3 paper GPU yet.

Don't the terms and condition on the cert say: "Certificate is transferable".

In the past, I've had certs from other people who don't accompany me and successfully used them at FRA (albeit with an initial refusal that was reversed after I pointed out the language on the cert) and BLR. There have been reports that at US LH stations, the staff won't permit 3rd party certs, but there have been reports to the contrary as well.

I think you will have zero problems since you, the owner, are present. As for a long shot, I think is highly probable that if the certs are accepted, you will both be upgraded if you are not booked in a Z or lower fare (there's a new discount business fare class, P, UA and LH are now using for promotional fares that are cheaper than Z; while not listed on the cert as invalid, expect LH to refuse P). LH F cabins seem to pretty empty as a rule. Enjoy, LH F is what F should be.

And welcome to FT. A great first post, and good job maximizing the value of your United 1K benefits. I wish I had been as astute as you when I started out as a 1K.

Last edited by mre5765; Apr 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
P & Z are excluded in Business to First upgrades.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by oliver2002
P & Z are excluded in Business to First upgrades.
According to the thread in the M&M forum the Z fare upgrade exclusion is only after Sep 1st.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, UA already excluded Z from the LH paper SWUs, now P joins the list. If you have an old SWU that allows Z you are in luck till Sep 1 when LH will hard code its systems to stop agents to apply the paper SWU.

The pre March 3 paper SWU had text in its fine print that was now worded such that LH can chnage the non eligible fare classes at their discretion. I'm curious to see what the paper GPU post Mar 3 says exactly and then we can set up a new master thread. Sadly no one is coming forward with a scan of the post March 3 paper GPU for use on LH
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The pre March 3 paper SWU had text in its fine print that was now worded such that LH can chnage the non eligible fare classes at their discretion. I'm curious to see what the paper GPU post Mar 3 says exactly and then we can set up a new master thread. Sadly no one is coming forward with a scan of the post March 3 paper GPU for use on LH
Here you go...hot off the press. Just got this today via FedEx (called the GS line on Friday, got transferred to UAMP Customer Service and they quickly handled the request. Took about 5 minutes total!)
Front of Certificate:

Fine print on the back:

Last edited by AceAirspeed; Apr 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm Reason: fixed link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.