FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1295082-global-premier-fka-systemwide-upgrades-lufthansa.html)

geoywc Dec 26, 2011 12:34 am

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

I have just received my 6 SWU vouchers on being 1K again in 2012. I wonder if they can still be used on Lufthansa upgrade (with printed vouchers from UA)?? Many thanks for your advice.

WineCountryUA Dec 26, 2011 12:38 am

Welcome to FT!, geoywc

Have seen no specific announcement one way or the other -- but given the arrangement / JV between UA & LH appears unchanged, would be surprised if there is a change in the ability to use paper UA SWUs on LH .

geoywc Dec 26, 2011 12:41 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 17691885)
Have seen no specific announcement one way or the other -- but given the arrangement / JV between UA & LH appears unchanged, would be surprised if there is a change in the ability to use paper UA SWUs on LH .

Many thanks for your quick response. Apart from UA/CO/LH, can these SWU vouchers be used on any other Star Alliance airlines?? Cheers.

WineCountryUA Dec 26, 2011 12:45 am

Originally Posted by geoywc (Post 17691894)
...Apart from UA/CO/LH, can these SWU vouchers be used on any other Star Alliance airlines?? ...

No -- and the paper versions can only be used on LH, they need to be in electronic format for UA/CO

malgudi Dec 26, 2011 1:21 am

See this thread for more info.

rob_flies_ua Dec 26, 2011 9:41 am

Welcome to FT!, geoywc

Actually, this has been specifically addressed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17150564-post553.html

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 17150564)
Hi pterosaur, our Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) will continue to be valid for use on Lufthansa. We’re still working out the details as to exactly how this gets implemented.

mre5765 Dec 26, 2011 11:11 am

Welcome to FT!, geoywc

As malgudi notes, UA has confirmed that GPUs will be good on LH. That said, we have already seen ome change. UA's website now says Z is not eligible for upgrade on LH, althought there has yet to be a report of a paper SWU that disallows Z.

WineCountryUA Dec 26, 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 17693420)
As malgudi notes, UA has confirmed that GPUs will be good on LH. ...

missed that in the mess of comments UA Insider made

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 17693420)
... That said, we have already seen ome change. UA's website now says Z is not eligible for upgrade on LH, althought there has yet to be a report of a paper SWU that disallows Z.

but as many have learned it is neither UA web or what is printed on the SWUs that matters, but the rules the LH agents go by.

Boraxo Mar 3, 2012 1:10 am

Is there any way to get around the 2-week timetable for issuance of a paper GPU/SWU? Can you get one issued at a UA ticket counter?

WineCountryUA Mar 3, 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 18123168)
Is there any way to get around the 2-week timetable for issuance of a paper GPU/SWU? Can you get one issued at a UA ticket counter?

In the past the 1K Desk had been able to overnight paper certs.

SickofFlying Mar 6, 2012 12:43 pm

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Does anybody know if United will still issue systemwide upgrades for use on Lufthansa? Can't get through to the 1k desk....

CASAFlyer Mar 6, 2012 12:51 pm

Welcome to FT as active poster!

I expect the paper certificates will continue, but no direct experience requesting them after 3/3.

To reach the 1k desk, have you tried the international AT&T toll-free numbers?

That should connect you directly, and with minimal or no wait time (based on pre 3/3 experience)... Maybe there is still preference in the queue given UA is paying the bill of the call.

Bluehen1 Mar 6, 2012 12:59 pm

I'm in the process of getting this done right now as I type. I got a sCO agent who did not know that SWUs could be printed and used on LH. She did not know how to do it and is searching for someone who can.

I tried to do this on Friday before the integration and they could not do it then. Fortunately, my flight isn't until the 16th so I can wait a few more days.

NeoOfTheCRS Mar 6, 2012 1:12 pm

I tried on March 2nd to get a paper SWU for LH and was told that the functionality to print out paper SWUs was already out of service for the merger. Let me know if you have success.

They also told me that mileage plus was not picking up the phone

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 (Post 18146854)
I'm in the process of getting this done right now as I type. I got a sCO agent who did not know that SWUs could be printed and used on LH. She did not know how to do it and is searching for someone who can.

I tried to do this on Friday before the integration and they could not do it then. Fortunately, my flight isn't until the 16th so I can wait a few more days.

CASAFlyer Mar 6, 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 (Post 18146854)

The certificate printing was handled by MP customer care. In PMUA, SOP was to call 1k line and then ask to be transferred to MP customer care to print a paper SWU for use on LH.