Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
I just got some paper SWU to use in Lufthansa how do they work I am flying Y in V fare from BKK to MIA via FRA
Thank you very much
You can request the upgrade on the day of your flight at the airport. Each SWU is good for one segment so it would take 2 SWU's to go BKK-FRA-MIA. If the upgrade doesn't clear you can send the paper SWU's back to United for re-deposit in your account.. the paper SWU's aren't good on United flights.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777
I just got some paper SWU to use in Lufthansa how do they work I am flying Y in V fare from BKK to MIA via FRA
Thank you very much
Hand them over when you check in for your flight (at the airport is the only place you can use them) and see if you clear. Each SWU is good for one segment.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Thank you lets see what happens
Old May 31, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: NW Plat, UAL 1K
Can I use UA SWU paper upgrades on a LH ticket, operated by LH ?

I frequently buy UA tickets, operated by LH, and use the UA SWU paper upgrade certs (with frequent success).

On my next trip, without thinking, I accidently bought the tickets under LH directly. Can I use UA SWU paper upgrades on a LH ticket, operated by LH ??

thanks in advance, too tired to read through the 117 posts in swu thread !!
Old May 31, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, A3 GLD, AC ELT; AA EXP | SPG PLT, PC PLT, Hilton GLD, Hyatt PLT | National EXEC, Hertz 5*
Absolutely in PMUA. My friend did this.

Originally Posted by badata2d
I frequently buy UA tickets, operated by LH, and use the UA SWU paper upgrade certs (with frequent success).

On my next trip, without thinking, I accidently bought the tickets under LH directly. Can I use UA SWU paper upgrades on a LH ticket, operated by LH ??

Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: NW Plat, UAL 1K
Originally Posted by teddybw
Absolutely in PMUA. My friend did this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badata2d

Thanks, appreciate the response. I'm going to do this in MUC and the LH German agents know the rules much better than the US LH gate agents so I really hope it works !
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I always use UA paper GPU/SWUs on tickets booked by LH on LH flight numbers, no problems.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Pretty much. Usually if they can they will upgrade you at check in. From airports like JFK, ORD, FRA if an F seat is avail then no problem. Where you might have a problem is coming back to Germany from smaller stations with 1 or 2 flts a day where they don't do there own catering (Many African/Mid East Countries). They may not have extra catering for more pax then were booked. LH is not UA. They will NEVER ask for your 2nd choice, etc. if there is not enough FCL MEALS for everyone to have what they want, they may not upgrade you

DXB-FRA/MUC in summer usually have light loads so you should not have a problem. AUG is a good month as its to hot for most people to travel TO DXB and most locals are already gone for the summer so FLTS FROM DXB are lighter (I usually switch from EK to LH in summer as we spend allot of time in Germany / France and I don't think I have EVER been on a full LH 747 from DXB in summer. Usually half full. (DXB Station is not good about upgrading at check in (they don't use LH staff, they use DNATA ground staff. It important to make sure they put you on the list and when you get to the gate, FIND one of the true LH employees and ask them - go to gate early so they have enough time to load a meal for you.
I think LH boards their premium cabin meals in groups of 4 or something to that effect, as I recall that has doomed numerous travelers from their UG.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can check for availability before, but often they are sold out in C even though they may be seats available for sale.

Asia-Germany is the same as US-Germany... ask for it at the airport, at most stations they have seen the SWU/GPU paper thing before.
I is what you are looking for if upgrading with miles, and the day of departure it is space available for J/F, thus only catering concerns can keep you from clearing if a seat is open at the gate.

Originally Posted by KVS
Yes, LH only has one Upgrade Booking Class (http://Help.KVSTool.com/#LH), which is used for all types of upgrades, including UA MP GPUs.
O is first class award bucket, I is business class award bucket to be clear. Thus it changes based on what cabin you are trying to upgrade to.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by schley
I think LH boards their premium cabin meals in groups of 4 or something to that effect, as I recall that has doomed numerous travelers from their UG.
Its even more fine tuned now, its catered in sets of 2
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:17 am

I think it would be helpful if we could post the LH fares from most expensive to cheapest in each fare class. Then denote which is eligible for upgrades using the SWU's from UA. I don't know the specifics of LH's code hierarchy thus I'm asking for help as I'm getting this from LH's website.

For Business class on LH
eligible = C D J / not eligible = Z P

For Economy class on LH
eligible = B Y G H M Q U V / not eligible = W E K L S T

I know LH has some different codes that UA doesn't use but is this correct? I have only included the revenue buckets, not upgrades/award buckets as those obviously aren't allowed.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Its even more fine tuned now, its catered in sets of 2
Well God Bless LH for making it more customer friendly.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 8, 2012 at 10:15 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:37 am

For fare class ranking see post #7 here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...01jul2011.html

It should be the same as UA for across the pond. P has been added may 1 and is below Z.

J-D and Y-V are upgradable with paper GPUs, additionally M&M members can upgrade W & S. Anything else is systematically blocked in the DCS that LH uses.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:13 am

Great, thanks. I don't read German, but I'm guessing the columns are something like:

1. intra europe
2. north atlantic
3. everywhere else?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by schley
Great, thanks. I don't read German, but I'm guessing the columns are something like:

1. intra europe
2. north atlantic
3. everywhere else?
1. first column 'Langstrecke' just means 'Long Distance'
and 'bisher' on top is 'up to now'

2. is north atlantic
3. is 'africa', 'middle east','asia','south america'

'Neu ab 01.07.2011' means 'new since July 1st 2011'
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:00 am
grt

Can I use them with UA Award Tickets?

Can I use these paper certificates with UA Award tickets (booked as LH flight numbers)?

I am guessing that the answer is no, and I apologize if the question was asked before in this thread.

Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by grt
Can I use these paper certificates with UA Award tickets (booked as LH flight numbers)?

I am guessing that the answer is no, and I apologize if the question was asked before in this thread.

Thanks
no

Originally Posted by German Expat
1. first column 'Langstrecke' just means 'Long Distance'
and 'bisher' on top is 'up to now'

2. is north atlantic
3. is 'africa', 'middle east','asia','south america'

'Neu ab 01.07.2011' means 'new since July 1st 2011'
Thanks. So column 1 is for short flights. I assume that means intra europe since that isn't listed in the other 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.