Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
You will also have less chance at getting UDU, as GS/1K/Plat will be ahead of you.
Sort of. The only difference is that on UA, there was a wide range of 1Ps (50,001 EQM to 99,999 EQM), and now that's split in half.

So yes, we'll be behind someone who was also 1P at 75K who is now Platinum, but that's the only difference. GS and 1K were always ahead anyways.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
Sort of. The only difference is that on UA, there was a wide range of 1Ps (50,001 EQM to 99,999 EQM), and now that's split in half.

So yes, we'll be behind someone who was also 1P at 75K who is now Platinum, but that's the only difference. GS and 1K were always ahead anyways.
yes but the >75, <100K crowd is a significant chunk of people. There is no doubt <75K 1Ps will see a significant change in their upgrade opportunities.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I need.....

XXX miles too.

Heck I need XXX anything at this point!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:20 am

Thanks for trusting us. The more folks see this works (I did it in early November) the more we don't have to deal with "will this work", or "i don't believe it".
OK, so I just purchased my ticket on CO and added the Elite Maximizer option - 500 miles for $65. The elite miles are now showing up in my account activity page, but ONLY under the "Summary" section and not under the "Activity" section (all that is in the Activity section is the 500 reward miles). The Mileage Balance on the main OnePass page still says 0 however.

At what point can I cancel my flight? Do I have to wait for anything? And how do I get the miles reflected in my Mileage Plus account? When I try to transfer them at this point, it says I have nothing to transfer (reward or elite miles).

Thanks again for the help here folks.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier
Question

Thanks for trusting us. The more folks see this works (I did it in early November) the more we don't have to deal with "will this work", or "i don't believe it".
I don't think there's a lack of trust at all. The concept has been explained well by other posters. But maybe there's just a lack of details. Someone pointed out that they had to buy X amount of redeemable miles at a certain cost and THEN they could buy EQMs, but the EQMs only come in fixed amounts and so on and so forth. I think it's the "steps involved" that a lot of people – certainly myself included – are curious about and how the costs involved compare to actually doing a cheap mileage run.

I need 641 for Premier Silver. Do I have to buy 1,000 EQMs? (Is there a 750 option?) And do I need to buy the same amount of redeemable miles?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: united
Buying MQM's

Can I pay and buy United EQM's in 2011? I am 6500 miles short of premier exec status with United and would like to buy miles if at all possible. Are there any other options anyone can suggest (fred cards, promo's act)

thanks
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by tjpatte
Can I pay and buy United EQM's in 2011? I am 6500 miles short of premier exec status with United and would like to buy miles if at all possible. Are there any other options anyone can suggest (fred cards, promo's act)

thanks
Basically, yes.
Below is for the CO website

Make a reservation for a CO flight with enough miles for your particular needs, and prior to paying for it, click the box that asks whether you would like to buy miles (RDU). Click yes and it will also ask if you want to buy EQMs. Click yes (make sure that you have booked a flight to allow the minimum number of miles you need. Buy the ticket and you will immediately get both RDU and EQMs (these are not refundable). You can then cancel your ticket within 24 hours and get the ticket money refunded (but not the mileage purchase money) and get the mileage credited to your account.

BTW, it is expensive at about $.11/mile but if you have more money than time to fly, it is possible.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC *P
Read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...rums-work.html and post in the proper (UA) forum.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
Read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...rums-work.html and post in the proper (UA) forum.
Yes reading this forum helps you to put the right information in your post. I do know you can buy Delta MQM's, but it would be cheaper to fly and get the mqm's that way in many cases.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:10 pm

I am currently 5,785 miles short of making Gold and know that I will have to purchase some EQM to get there.

*Currently waiting on 2,674 missing miles credit for 11/8 LH flight. OPSC has been notified, but who knows when those miles will show up.
*Flying LH out of TSE next week for 1,587 miles.
*That would leave me with 1,524 miles to purchase.

What is the likelihood that all those LH miles will actually credit to my OP account by 12/31? Do I need to just go ahead and bite the bullet and buy enough EQM to cover the whole short fall?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
It doesn't matter if they post after the end of the year if the flights were flown this year. That's a logistical issue that's out of your control.

You can't buy EQM except through the CO trick mentioned above.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:32 pm

what is the max amount of EQM that you can purchase when buying RDU's?

thanks
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

what is the max amount of EQM that you can purchase when buying RDU's?

thanks
You buy RDMs and EQMs, not RDUs.

The number of EQMs will match the number of RDMs when you buy them.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:02 pm

thanks. so there is not limit on buying RDMs and EQMs. for example, i could buy 25k eqm's at $.11 per mile? last year i believe you could only buy up to 5k EQM's at end of year
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
thanks. so there is not limit on buying RDMs and EQMs. for example, i could buy 25k eqm's at $.11 per mile? last year i believe you could only buy up to 5k EQM's at end of year
The limit is what's offered when you book the flight -- it's related to flight distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.