Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:32 pm

Need 10 (Ten) EQMs for Premier Exec

Hi all, I hope someone can help me out. For 2011, I have 49,990 EQMs. Yep, I literally need 10 (Ten) miles to qualify for Premier Exec in 2012. Problem is I have no more travel planned in 2011. I really don't want to do a mileage run just to get these 10 miles. Can anyone offer up any alternatives? I called Mileage Plus customer service and they could not confirm or deny that I would qualify for Premier Exec with the miles I already have (they said in the past there was a tolerance level set that would bump people up, but this year with the merger, they said they "did not know" and the only sure way to get the status was to fly again in 2011). And, I have no EQMs with Continental to use either. Thanks in advance for any guidance....
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by villager-li
Hi all, I hope someone can help me out. For 2011, I have 49,990 EQMs. Yep, I literally need 10 (Ten) miles to qualify for Premier Exec in 2012. Problem is I have no more travel planned in 2011. I really don't want to do a mileage run just to get these 10 miles. Can anyone offer up any alternatives? I called Mileage Plus customer service and they could not confirm or deny that I would qualify for Premier Exec with the miles I already have (they said in the past there was a tolerance level set that would bump people up, but this year with the merger, they said they "did not know" and the only sure way to get the status was to fly again in 2011). And, I have no EQMs with Continental to use either. Thanks in advance for any guidance....
Well, you could book a short and cheap flight on CO, do the RDM and DEQM bonus buy-up, then cancel the flight within 24 hours. Probably more expensive than actually flying a short flight, though.

Here's a thread about the CO Elite Maximizer. I believe it only works if you book through CO.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:49 pm

Yep, I literally need 10 (Ten) miles to qualify for Premier Exec in 2012.
I thought I was bad. I needed 21 EQMs to make 1K. I ended up buying 500 EQMs (the minimum) on CO for $65 last week. UA may overlook the 21 miles and bump me up, but I didn't want to risk it. $65 is well worth peace of mind.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:37 am

So can I actually purchase a flight on CO, elect the additional EQMs, then cancel it within 24 hours and I am only stuck paying for those additional EQMs? Seems too good to be true....
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:46 am

How do you find the cheapest UA flight, period.

I need just 600 miles to renew my 1K status for next year. Since I earn a minimum of 500 EQM per flight, I can literally go anywhere during the remainder of this year and get what I need. I can fly out of PHL/IAD/BWI/EWR. I simply just want to pay the absolute lowest price and not stay overnight. I've just been randomly picking different destinations and searching. What would be the best way to simply find the cheapest seat- not caring at all about the number of miles or the destination?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This will give you the lowest fares: http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html

Punch in your airport(s), filter by airline (UA), and then sort by price.

Whether the fares are valid in your timeframe or the fares have any availability is a different story. But it's a god place to start with an idea of places to look.

That said, another strategy is to link with your CO account and buy the Elite miles on a CO ticket (i.e., buy any CO ticket, buy the Elite maximizer miles, refund the ticket under the 24-hour rule).
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
Just made my 100K. I flew on a B ticket to Bahrain and forgot I would get another 50% EQM..

However have 1,990,000 lifetime miles. So I still need to do another 10K to get 2MM by end of year. Likely will do a mileage run -- if I can't find an excuse for a biz trip.
Won't you have a bump from the UA lifetime miles adjustment?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
So can I actually purchase a flight on CO, elect the additional EQMs, then cancel it within 24 hours and I am only stuck paying for those additional EQMs? Seems too good to be true....
Yes, that is what I did yesterday to get the few miles I was short. The "seems too good to be true part" is tempered by the fact you have to buy a minimum 500 miles for $15 for the RDMs and another checkbox for another $50 to turn it into EQMs for a total of $65 for 500 EQMs.

For me it was still cheaper (and less time consuming) than taking the cheapest flight I could find out of ORD or MKE. I was a little nervous clicking the charge my credit card button for the flight, but I cancelled it a few hours later and all seems to be well today. Since the buy-up is not refundable it actually works to our advantage.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FC ORD
Yes, that is what I did yesterday to get the few miles I was short. The "seems too good to be true part" is tempered by the fact you have to buy a minimum 500 miles for $15 for the RDMs and another checkbox for another $50 to turn it into EQMs for a total of $65 for 500 EQMs.

For me it was still cheaper (and less time consuming) than taking the cheapest flight I could find out of ORD or MKE. I was a little nervous clicking the charge my credit card button for the flight, but I cancelled it a few hours later and all seems to be well today. Since the buy-up is not refundable it actually works to our advantage.
Thanks for trusting us. The more folks see this works (I did it in early November) the more we don't have to deal with "will this work", or "i don't believe it".
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by channa
This will give you the lowest fares: http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html

Punch in your airport(s), filter by airline (UA), and then sort by price.

Whether the fares are valid in your timeframe or the fares have any availability is a different story. But it's a god place to start with an idea of places to look.

That said, another strategy is to link with your CO account and buy the Elite miles on a CO ticket (i.e., buy any CO ticket, buy the Elite maximizer miles, refund the ticket under the 24-hour rule).

Thank you for that very helpful info - that tool appears very useful.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:28 pm

Used the buy-up on CO today; should be at the next level by the end of the year, and the cost has inched up to about .12/mile.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:34 pm

I'm confused about what 75K gets me. I've been 1P for several years and will be there for next year. That said, my account keeps showing that I need 17K to reach the 75K threshold. I have just one flight planned between now and the end of the year (just 1300 miles), and could do the Choice option for another 5K, and then do the 'buy up'. Is all of this worth it? Seems like a pricey option for not a whole lot of benefit. Or am I missing something?

Enlightening welcomed.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eerickso
I'm confused about what 75K gets me. I've been 1P for several years and will be there for next year. That said, my account keeps showing that I need 17K to reach the 75K threshold. I have just one flight planned between now and the end of the year (just 1300 miles), and could do the Choice option for another 5K, and then do the 'buy up'. Is all of this worth it? Seems like a pricey option for not a whole lot of benefit. Or am I missing something?

Enlightening welcomed.
the 75K is a new level, and used to be the top-tier mileage tier. UA only had 2P/1P/1K, so they added 75K to keep the CO fliers happy.. This tier will get 75% bonus RDMs, higher shot at upgrades, E+ access for 8 people on the same PNR, and UDU at 72 hours.. 1P is being lowered to 48 hours.

If you stay 1P, you will only get 50% bonus RDMs, UDU @ 48 hours, and access for just one extra person to join you in E+.. You will also have less chance at getting UDU, as GS/1K/Plat will be ahead of you.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eerickso

Enlightening welcomed.
Will depend on which benefits mean something to you.
you will get
- 2 regionals
- higher upgrade and boarding priority
- 75% RDM bonus vs 50%
- most award fees waived
see for a side by side listing of benefits

You are far from alone in this dilemma and for more discussion
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
or
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:16 pm

Thanks, FriendlySkies and WineCountryUA, for the explanation. Looks like I have some quick catching up to do. I've not been keeping up really well with all of the changes.

For me, it may not be worth it (although I do need to check it out more thoroughly) since my travel budget at work has been cut pretty much to zero for next year and my personal travel will barely keep me at the 1P level (if that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.