Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I need XXX UA Miles/PQMs for Elite Status" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:46 pm

Checking my logic on

Good evening all. Occasional reader, first time poster. I'm right on the bubble to hit UA Premiere Executive (I guess now Premiere Gold) in 2012 ... and wanted to just double-check my notes on how I plan to get there.

• As of today, I need 9,159 to reach 50k in 2011.
  • I'm traveling from IAD - SEA and back mid-month on UA, which will net me 2,306 each way.
  • That will leave me 4,457 short

It is my understanding (from here http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,51666,00.html) that I should be able to convert 50,000 of these "choice" miles - i.e.: miles earned via my United Mileage Plus Visa - into 5,000 actual EQMs, which get me across the finish line. This is the first I've ever learned/heard of these "choice" options for miles that I earned via my Visa ... and apparently I have 70,000 that are eligible. So, I wanted to check with the experts.

Does that all seem to add up? If so, I'm very willing to trade 50k miles out of my account, to secure Gold status for next year - especially given the changes I'm reading about the programs, travel that I know I'll be doing in 2012, and especially Silver losing E+ priority seating and only 1 bag now.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
How much do you guys think the jump from the 50K band to the 75K band is worth in 2012?

My current travel has me at around 60K EQM, however I'm going to HAN on a reward ticket for vacation. I could buy my one-way out there for between $1500-$2000 and probably hit 75K EQM (haven't done the math on that yet). I just don't really see the value in that, though.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by toomer
Good evening all. Occasional reader, first time poster. I'm right on the bubble to hit UA Premiere Executive (I guess now Premiere Gold) in 2012 ... and wanted to just double-check my notes on how I plan to get there.

• As of today, I need 9,159 to reach 50k in 2011.
  • I'm traveling from IAD - SEA and back mid-month on UA, which will net me 2,306 each way.
  • That will leave me 4,457 short

It is my understanding (from here http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,51666,00.html) that I should be able to convert 50,000 of these "choice" miles - i.e.: miles earned via my United Mileage Plus Visa - into 5,000 actual EQMs, which get me across the finish line. This is the first I've ever learned/heard of these "choice" options for miles that I earned via my Visa ... and apparently I have 70,000 that are eligible. So, I wanted to check with the experts. ....
My math is coming up with 4,547 short but the 5K Choice Points EQMs would still be enough. Your understanding is correct as long as you realize it will also reduce your RDM balance by 50,000 miles.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
It is my understanding (from here http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,51666,00.html) that I should be able to convert 50,000 of these "choice" miles - i.e.: miles earned via my United Mileage Plus Visa - into 5,000 actual EQMs, which get me across the finish line. This is the first I've ever learned/heard of these "choice" options for miles that I earned via my Visa ... and apparently I have 70,000 that are eligible. So, I wanted to check with the experts.

Does that all seem to add up? If so, I'm very willing to trade 50k miles out of my account, to secure Gold status for next year - especially given the changes I'm reading about the programs, travel that I know I'll be doing in 2012, and especially Silver losing E+ priority seating and only 1 bag now.

Thanks!
Welcome to FT!

"Choice" miles are a valid option for getting over the finish line to 1P and if you're more willing to spend miles than money (Elite Maximizer) or time and money (mileage run) to qualify, they should do the job just fine.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 2P
MR 328 LGA/JFK:Please advise this newbie

just wanted to say thanks for all this fabulous info! y'all just helped me retain status for 2012 (I needed 328 mi)

Last edited by orpheusgrrl; Dec 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm Reason: totally found the answer to my question within the thread
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by orpheusgrrl
just wanted to say thanks for all this fabulous info! y'all just helped me retain status for 2012 (I needed 328 mi)
Congrats!

I was just having lunch with some friends and another person there was also going to do a similar mileage run to mine. We may even go on the same day. Good to know I'm not alone!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My math is coming up with 4,547 short but the 5K Choice Points EQMs would still be enough. Your understanding is correct as long as you realize it will also reduce your RDM balance by 50,000 miles.
Yes, fully expecting this will set me back on total miles in my account a bit. Just debating the merits between that at zero $ out of my pocket, versus a coast-to-coast miles run which will cost $ and chew up an entire day.

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
Welcome to FT!

"Choice" miles are a valid option for getting over the finish line to 1P and if you're more willing to spend miles than money (Elite Maximizer) or time and money (mileage run) to qualify, they should do the job just fine.
Elite Maximizer is just for CO fares though, right? Although I don't fly as much as many here - I've been on UA for years, and don't even know if I have a OnePass account set up. Or, since the merger ... is it possible to purchase a fare on continental.com w/elite maximizer and simply provide my UA mileage plus number?

If I wanted to go that route, would the proper procedure be...

• Purchase a round-trip, fully refundable fare that would take me 4547 miles if I actually flew it. $$
  • Purchase 'elite maximizer' at the same time. $$
  • Once the maximizer miles are credited to my (Mileage Plus / OnePass?) account, cancel the fare - get full refund for that portion.
  • Keep maximizer miles.

Are they even allowing new OnePass account signups, now that the companies are merged?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Elite Maximizer is just for CO fares though, right? Although I don't fly as much as many here - I've been on UA for years, and don't even know if I have a OnePass account set up. Or, since the merger ... is it possible to purchase a fare on continental.com w/elite maximizer and simply provide my UA mileage plus number?

If I wanted to go that route, would the proper procedure be...

• Purchase a round-trip, fully refundable fare that would take me 4547 miles if I actually flew it. $$
  • Purchase 'elite maximizer' at the same time. $$
  • Once the maximizer miles are credited to my (Mileage Plus / OnePass?) account, cancel the fare - get full refund for that portion.
  • Keep maximizer miles.

Are they even allowing new OnePass account signups, now that the companies are merged?

Thanks!
You got the idea. You would need to set up an OP account (definitively still possible) and credit the ticket to the OP account. Based on recent reports, it will run you $600 or a bit more.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...izer-rate.html
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, UA, American
Year end flight needed - where to???

Hello FTers,

Hoping to tap into your collective knowledge for some inspiration for a year-ending status run on UA. I'm right about to renew (2 segments / 2k miles), but more interested to get recommendations on how to get it done...so I thought I'd ask here.

If you had ~48 hours to spend in any city in the states, where would you go (keep travel times from Chicago in mind!) and what would you do?

Understanding that context is important, I'm thinking about taking my dad (late fifties) on a quick weekend type trip, so something we could do together would be fun. Biggest interests are sports and history, not a huge drinker and could do without too much outdoors (i.e. hunting, fishing). Other than that we're both pretty flexible.

So what do you say, FTers, where to?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
San Diego has the tour of the USS Midway, nice weather, and golf...

Chicago to San Diego should get you almost double the miles you need.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Boston! It is a walking city so no need for a car. History out the arse! Great place to visit.

San Antonio. Stay on the River walk. Again tons of history.

Las Vegas. Gambling could factor in but doesn't have to. Fantastic shows and do a trip to the Grand Canyon. 48 hours gone and no need to sleep!

I know you said States but couple you do Toronto? Another great city for a cuople of days.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue this discussion in the UA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, UA, American
Great suggestions, all. San Diego and San Antonio do sound nice this time of year. The historical aspect is a big draw too...primarily the WWII stuff. Toronto is definitely an option too - now I've got some research to do!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
When I get back from my last trip of the year next week I will be at 199,700 EQMs. I opened up a CO account last week, linked it to my UA account, and today bought 500 EQMs for $65, which posted right away to my CO account.

After 5 days my CO account still says "non-elite" as my status. When will my status match?

When will the "sweep" occur to put me over 200,000 for my extra SWUs and regionals?

Thanks much to all of you for your great advice!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by FC ORD
.... After 5 days my CO account still says "non-elite" as my status. When will my status match? ..
most have been within 10 days, occasional a little longer

Originally Posted by FC ORD
....When will the "sweep" occur to put me over 200,000 for my extra SWUs and regionals? ..
the sweep seems to have been once a week, posting Monday/Tuesday -- it may take a week or two
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ong-delay.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.