Vaccine passports for UK citizens for international travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vaccine passports for UK citizens for international travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:29 am

Great news. Thanks c-w-s. So, in practical terms, does that mean:

a) if i'm somewhere where they are scanning vaccination certificates I can simply show them my NHS app and they will be able to read my QR code;

b) I will be able to generate a valid certificate on one of the apps uses in different countries - e.g. the Corona-Warn app in Germany - using the QR code from the NHS app; or

c) both of the above?
GregWTravels and squawk like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's probably going to amount to both of the above, depending on the situation. So in France you may as well use the French DCC since it's fully set up for that and easy to use. In Ireland they are very used to the NHS app. In the Netherlands I suspect it will probably now be sufficient to use the NHS app, until the local apps are updated (or use the Ireland or French DCC instead). If I was wandering around Europe I'd probably just have my England and Ireland apps on the ready.
HB7, slicktony, squawk and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Strangely, I couldn't get my French app to work for me in Italy (it worked fine in France, of course). So I used the NHS App and, at some venues the jab 1 QR code worked and at others the jab 2 QR code worked, but never both.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:32 pm

A very positive development, albeit a shame it has taken so long. This will make things much easier for a lot of people. Thank you for the update corporate-wage-slave.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The EU Commission website has now been updated for this change.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...certificate_en
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:39 am
Original Poster

From the EU Commission website FAQ

Originally Posted by EU Commission
Where the Commission is satisfied that a non-EU country issues certificates in compliance with standards and systems, which are interoperable with the EU system, the Commission can adopt a decision on the basis of which such non-EU country certificates would be accepted under the same conditions as EU Digital COVID Certificates
Second, the “equivalence decision” route: upon express request of a third country, and where the Commission is satisfied that a third country issues interoperable certificates in compliance with the necessary technical standards, the Commission can issue an “equivalence decision” regarding that country. Then, certificates issued by that country must be directly accepted under the same conditions as the EU Digital COVID Certificates.
This means that those countries are connected to the EU's system and that the COVID certificates they issue are accepted in the EU under the same conditions as the EU Digital COVID Certificate. In practice, holders of these certificates can use these certificates under the same conditions as holders of an EU Digital COVID Certificate. At the same time, those countries have agreed to accept the EU Digital COVID Certificate for travel from the EU to their countries. Their participation in the EU’s Digital COVID Certificate will thus facilitate safe travel to and from the EU.
https://ec.europa.eu/info/policies/j...estrictions_en
DaveS likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:59 am

Programs: BA - Bronze , IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
Does anyone (CWS) know if the Scottish vaccine status app is included in this? They say certificates generated in the UK are accepted but from what I understand there is no one UK certificate as all the devolved nations have their own NHS system and app that ties into that system?
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I posted this in the other thread that popped up, so maybe that thread should merge with this one as there is much more info here. Anyhoo::

From a practical point of view is there anything we need to do? Will the NHS app update to reflect EUDCC somehow?
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Two more Italian checks today, both failed to recognise an NHS code....
What you need to do, if you have the NHS App on iOS and have downloaded the NHS travel pass on your wallet, is to show the QR code for the first jab.

I've downloaded the VerificaC19 app on another phone and have done some testing (and I've been scanned a few times, the last time in Linate airport). Jab #2 isn't recognised, Jab#1 yields a positive match. Before the last update of the NHS App it was the other way 'round.
DaveS likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawkbat
Does anyone (CWS) know if the Scottish vaccine status app is included in this? They say certificates generated in the UK are accepted but from what I understand there is no one UK certificate as all the devolved nations have their own NHS system and app that ties into that system?
Yes. Allegedly that was the reason it took so long to get approved since indeed there are 4 such COVID passes in the UK, issued by different bodies. But all 4 are accepted as part of this announcement.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I posted this in the other thread that popped up, so maybe that thread should merge with this one as there is much more info here. Anyhoo::

From a practical point of view is there anything we need to do? Will the NHS app update to reflect EUDCC somehow?
No, you don't have to do anything. If you were hoping the European flag would pop up on the NHS login, along with a few bars from Ode to Joy, then I fear you will be disappointed.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:48 am

That's a shame - I would have quite liked that!
Fritz, IAMORGAN, ExpatExp and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
As a matter of interest, does this make it any more likely that countries which don't currently recognise the UK certificate (e.g. the Philippines) will move to do so?

Accepting that the visa regime would also need to be relaxed to make any meaningful difference...
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes. Allegedly that was the reason it took so long to get approved since indeed there are 4 such COVID passes in the UK, issued by different bodies. But all 4 are accepted as part of this announcement.

No, you don't have to do anything. If you were hoping the European flag would pop up on the NHS login, along with a few bars from Ode to Joy, then I fear you will be disappointed.
Disappointment came there none.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's probably going to amount to both of the above, depending on the situation. So in France you may as well use the French DCC since it's fully set up for that and easy to use. In Ireland they are very used to the NHS app. In the Netherlands I suspect it will probably now be sufficient to use the NHS app, until the local apps are updated (or use the Ireland or French DCC instead). If I was wandering around Europe I'd probably just have my England and Ireland apps on the ready.
I have a trip to NL soon so can report back. Last time, in September, it was a ball ache, and I was turned away from one place because the NHS app did not scan- and there was no negotiation to be had either. So this is quite significant.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I have a trip to NL soon so can report back. Last time, in September, it was a ball ache, and I was turned away from one place because the NHS app did not scan- and there was no negotiation to be had either. So this is quite significant.
Today in Amsterdam not working yet. Multiple restaurants tried and NHS code is a no. Hopefully next days somehow it will resolve itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.