Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Sooner, to be honest...
Well, you were right.

Details below, but Germany declares UK a virus variant area from 20 December. 14 days quarantine and pre-flight PCRs for travellers from the UK.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile

Oh well, maybe next year…
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Today can't get much worse tbh.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

I missed this for the Netherlands:

From 22 December, all travellers from the UK, irrespective of their vaccination status or possession of a negative test, must undergo 10 days’ home quarantine upon arrival (for exemptions, see Dutch government website). This period can be reduced to 5 days if the traveller receives a negative test result from the Dutch authorities (GGD) on Day 5.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:16 pm

Today can't get much worse tbh.
I have just opened the excellent whisky I was taking to Germany to compensate.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:48 pm

Methinks I'll have to travel via Switzerland... again! to get my winter holidays this year... I'd have gladly done without!
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

What was Hungary like last time when France Germany etc banned the UK? Hungary is our second stop so looking instead to just book a direct flight to Budapest from the UK next weekend instead.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:13 pm

It was borderline impossible to enter Hungary from the UK this time last year, unless one was Hungarian and willing to self isolate.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
All these negative LFD results make me uncomfortable!
I'll go ahead with my PCR tomorrow and Monday and hope I stay negative. So far still nothing with the LFD.
On very limited data, LFDs are picking up positive Omicron cases slightly better than Delta, but they are imperfect. In particular we are relying in people doing the tests properly and if you aren't a regular user then a quick dip with the swab isn't going to always work. We can see fairly accurate LFD results from NHS workers since mostly (not always!) they use the LFDs correctly. That doesn't explain everything, some people just never show a postive LFD, it is a bit rough and ready as testing goes. Anyway in your case, doing a PCR sounds very sensible, so I would get yourself a PCR as you have arranged. You are up to date on your vaccines, so you have a good chance of being and remaining negative, but it's good to check before meeting someone who has multiple risks.
Internaut, squawk, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Mr C-W-S do you have any of your marvellous insights?
Originally Posted by flashware
If he's anything like one of the big vax centres near me, he might be working late. The one I went to yesterday is open till 23:30 tonight
Correct on the latter point, and I'm burning the candle at both ends at the moment.

The evidence is still too soon to show a picture, we are however going to know much more precisely in about a week, since the hugh numbers will feed through to the hospital situation by then. Some London data isn't looking good, admission numbers are rising. And that's the weakest spot in terms of vaccine coverage in the less affluent areas, unfortunately, and that seems to be feeding through to cases, with still the unvaccinated causing unnecessary extra and avoidable resource needs. But as I think is clear, the far bigger problem at the moment is the sheer number of people sefl isolating. The NHS worked to tougher rule in this space until a few days agao (in terms of self isolation) and some Trusts are reluctant to row back on this rule update. Plus irrespective of the rules, if NHS staff have sick children then you're not going to be at work. And it remains the case that the bulk of cases are in people who are younger.

Lambeth is just about the worst place in the UK now (after months of fairly low levels, incidentally). Infection rates are around 1,000 per 100k per 7 days in those aged 10 to 50 years old, with low levels of vaccination compared to the rest of the UK. But fortunately the over 80s are quite well vaccinated in Lambeth - still nearer 80% rather than 95% - and case numbers are around 100 or so per 100k per 7 days - a tenth of the younger people's level. Lambeth is essentially 65% first vaccines, 27% boosters, UK is 90% first vaccines, 47% boosters. QED.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The UK is doing a great job administering all these boosters fast right now, compared to other countries...Every country would probably wish they have done it faster, is my guess. The minimum time frames for the boosters are dropping fast in Europe and around the world.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:51 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Germany is doing very fast with boosters, we boostered 30% of the population within 4 weeks. This week there was one day at 1.5 M jabs. Unfortunately barely any first or second jabs.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Lambeth is just about the worst place in the UK now
*waves*

Honestly, first the ban on flying to Germany, then the bloody Ashes, and now this. Someone upstairs seems really determined to keep harshing my mellow.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Germany is doing very fast with boosters, we boostered 30% of the population within 4 weeks. This week there was one day at 1.5 M jabs. Unfortunately barely any first or second jabs.
Indeed. And France did 14m of 3rd dose in 1 month. And it’s accelerating fast with the expiry of the pass sanitaire since 15/12 for >65 y.o. and on 15/01 for the rest of the population.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Yes, this is something that concerns me: there are far more unvaccinated vulnerable older people in Germany than the UK. The take up of vaccinations amongst oldest age groups in the UK is exceedingly high. I fear this will feed through into hospitalisations and deaths once Omicron really takes off here in Germany.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by squawk
Yes, this is something that concerns me: there are far more unvaccinated vulnerable older people in Germany than the UK. The take up of vaccinations amongst oldest age groups in the UK is exceedingly high. I fear this will feed through into hospitalisations and deaths once Omicron really takes off here in Germany.
At which point are we allowed to employ the Gallic shoulder shrug and "tant pis" at their fate?

Yesterday I was out for dinner in Turin with some friends from way back. One of them was conspicuous for his absence since, as an anti-vaxxer, he's not allowed in restaurants anymore. His plight had very little sympathy. Another friend is an ICU nurse in a small NW Italy town. They have 4 Covid-related patients in the ward, all non-vaccinated. He is obviously doing his absolute best for them but he can't deny a certain contempt for these people. One of them is a notorious anti-vaxxer in Italy, he was peddling all sorts of rubbish on Facebook; he was on national radio (on the phone) when he complained of a blood saturation level below 70... the anchor actually called an ambulance to go at that man's house. He's not responding to cures. Frankly, I don't feel sorry about him. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.