FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Oh dear. We have been busy haven't we? Sorry if it touches a nerve.

Anyway they have a tough decision to make. I'm definitely Interested to see what they do to open up for travel, I am sure others are too especially with half term looming.

Oh, and I forgot to add, nice try with pulling in a quote from the OMNI thread here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...l#post33697575

I've never been stalked before! I feel privileged!
Less touching of nerves, more that I find the condescending xenophobic attitude quite tiresome and not helpful or fitting for this discussion - or any other on FT. It frankly deserves to be challenged. And hardly stalking - your consistent posting in this manner stands out, and in response to your question, it took 2 minutes to click on your profile and on multi quote.
Scotsgirl likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Less touching of nerves, more that I find the condescending xenophobic attitude quite tiresome and not helpful or fitting for this discussion - or any other on FT. It frankly deserves to be challenged. And hardly stalking - your consistent posting in this manner stands out, and in response to your question, it took 2 minutes to click on your profile and on multi quote.
I almost gave you a like for that.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So, the downward trend seems have have bottomed out somewhat. I was hoping it would continue down as it has in South Africa. Other figures looking better though.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, today's figures were a bit of a disappointment, though the steep falls we have had for the last week or so were not sustainable.
I wonder whether this is the new BA.2 lineage of Omicron starting to get a foothold? This was highlighted as a varient under concern by the UK Health Security Agency last week. The minor difference between BA.2 and Omicron original (BA.1) impacts monitoring of the prevalence as BA.2 does not have the quick and easy S-gene dropout, so PCR tests with no S-gene dropout have to be fully sequenced to determine the varient BA.2 v Delta or anything else, which is more resource intensive. There does appear to be wider media coverage (not so much in the UK yet) that BA.2 is possibly slightly more infectious and you can probably be reinfected with BA.2 if you have already had BA.1. I understand that along with Denmark, the UK is leading the charge in Europe for new BA.2 cases, or the detection of them at least...
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Daily data:

Cases 94,326 (94,432 last Tuesday)
Deaths 439 (438)
Patients admitted 1,613 (1,909 on the 14th)
Patients in hospital 17,162 (19,524 on the 17th)
Patients in ventilation beds 598 (713 on the 17th)
People vaccinated up to and including 24 January 2022:
First dose: 52,252,579
Second dose: 48,224,978
Booster: 36,996,936

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now down 3.2% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is down 3.2%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 263.4 today.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We should expect a rise in headline case numbers from Monday, when the government covid dashboard will for the first time include re-infections for England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. (Wales' figures already include re-infections if more than 42 days have elapsed between positive tests.) Until now, re-infections have been removed from the published figures.

This might also have the effect of increasing the apparent gap between the 7-day infection rates for England (990) and Wales (490).
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:08 am

Daily data:

Cases 102,292 (108,069 last Wednesday)
Deaths 346 (359)
Patients admitted 1,399 (1,768 on the 15th)
Patients in hospital 16,594 (19,044 on the 18th)
Patients in ventilation beds 575 (703 on the 18th)
People vaccinated up to and including 26 January 2022:
First dose: 52,265,883
Second dose: 48,252,782
Booster: 37,048,033

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now down 0.9% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is down 1.8%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 261.6 today.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:08 am

Daily data:

Cases 96,871 (107,364 last Thursday)
Deaths 338 (330)
Patients admitted 1,651 (1,914 on the 16th)
Patients in hospital 16,510 (18,553 on the 19th)
Patients in ventilation beds 561 (675 on the 19th)
People vaccinated up to and including 26 January 2022:
First dose: 52,281,873
Second dose: 48,284,685
Booster: 37,104,942

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now down 2.2% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is down 1.1%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 262.7 today.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The covid figures published each day on the government dashboard are subject to so many caveats that they are becoming little more than a curiosity.

Cases, of course, depend greatly upon how many tests were done, and exclude re-infections (which are now a significant proportion of total cases). Re-infections will apparently be included in the daily figures from next week.

The number of patients in hospital includes the increasing number who are there for something other than covid and who simply happen to have tested positive for covid. This group now makes up more than half of all hospitalisations, and almost two-thirds in London.

Deaths include all deaths within 28 days of a positive covid test, including deaths that are not related to covid. Conversely, it excludes those who die from covid more than 28 days after a diagnosis - and the NHS is now quite good at keeping people alive for more than 28 days. The ONS figures, which include all deaths where covid is mentioned on the death certificate as a cause of death, have been consistently higher than the government's figures.

Rough-and-ready statistics were to be expected at the start of the pandemic but now, after two years, and at a time when it is more important than ever to know how covid is spreading through and affecting the population, I think we have a right to expect better figures.

Vaccine numbers are the only absolute, but there is little explanation from the government about why so few are being given (today it was 15,000 first doses, 31,000 second doses and 54,000 third doses/boosters) when still only 72% of the population has received two doses and 55% a booster. After a stunning start to the vaccination programme, the UK is now about 40th in the world in terms of the proportion of the population that is fully vaccinated and is falling behind with boosters too.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Deaths are flattish while the number of people being hospitalised or hospitalised and on ventilator is coming down. Does this mean Omicron is killing by other means?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It looks like the 90-100k daily new infections will be the new floor for the UK for Omicron for a while, as 30k+ was for Delta after July 2021...Which seems about right, for a variant a few times more infectious...
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
From The Guardian

Boosters increase protection against death from Omicron in over-50s to 95% – UKHSA

Covid boosters increase protection against death from the Omicron variant to 95% in people aged 50 or over, the UK Health Security Agency said on Thursday.

The UKHSA said that about six months after a second dose of any of the Covid vaccines, protection against death with Omicron was about 60% in those aged 50 and over. However, this increased to around 95% two weeks after receiving a booster vaccine dose.

UKHSA added that data continued to show high levels of protection against hospitalisation from the booster. Effectiveness against hospitalisation was 90% for the Pfizer/BioNTech shot , dropping to 75% 10-14 weeks after the booster.

For Moderna, effectiveness against hospitalisation was 90-95% up to 9 weeks after the booster.

“The evidence is clear – the vaccine helps to protect us all against the effects of Covid-19 and the booster is offering high levels of protection from hospitalisation and death in the most vulnerable members of our society,” said Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at UKHSA.

The UKHSA also issued an initial analysis of vaccine effectiveness against the Omicron sub-lineage called BA.2, which is growing in the UK and Denmark, finding a similar level of protection against symptomatic disease.

“After two doses effectiveness was 9% and 13% respectively for BA.1 and BA.2, after 25+ weeks,” the UKHSA said. “This increased to 63% for BA.1 and 70% for BA.2 from two weeks following a booster vaccine.”
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Omicron watch for England in this case. Using 3 decimal places this week.

Omicron BA.1 99.785%
Delta 0.081%
VUI-21OCT-01 0.006%
VUI-22JAN-01 0.128%
No Alpha, MU or anything else this week. ending 23 January. The previous week is below.

VUI-21OCT = "Delta Plus"= more easily transmitted, but clearly dying out in England.

VUI-22JAN = BA.2, a progression of Omicron. Early data suggests that it has a high growth rate, with 60% of cases in London or the South East, and may be working on those who have previously had COVID but managed to dodge vanilla Omicron, known more properly as BA.1 So it may not actually be more easily transmitted than BA.1 but can get to people that BA.1 can't reach, hence the growth rate, on low numbers, is almost identically as fast as BA.1 in its early days. Early vaccine work (unpublished) at Oxford says that BA.2 responds to vaccines equally well as BA.1. But early days yet, we don't actually have that many cases in England.

Last week:
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Omicron 99.3%
Delta 0.3%
VUI-21OCT-01 0.3%
Others including Alpha 0.1%
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:38 am

Hi all

question for you. I just received this email and SMS. Seems legit, smells legit but... I've also received so many scam email and texts and calls recently that I don't really know which one is real and which one isn't.

PLEASE RESPOND to the NHS Test and Trace service to protect yourself, your community, and the NHS from coronavirus

Dear 13901,

NHS Test and Trace has identified you as a contact of someone who recently tested positive for COVID-19.

Unless exempt, you must self-isolate for a full 10 days from the date of your last contact.

If you’re exempt, you should take rapid lateral flow tests for 7 days.

You should now visit your NHS Test and Trace account to give us more details, even if you think you’re exempt. If you’re under 18, show this message to your parent or guardian.

Your account ID is XYZ. Use this ID to sign in at https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/invitation/accept?i [Rest of the link deleted]

Thank you for doing this quickly. This helps to protect you, your community and the NHS.

Find out more about what to do when you’re contacted by NHS Test and Trace: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...-and-treatment

Kind regards,
NHS Test and Trace
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:50 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Result of the WHOIS on domain https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/
Domain:
phe.gov.uk

Registered For:
Health Protection Agency on behalf of Public Health England

Domain Owner:
UK Health Security Agency

Registered By:
Safenames Ltd

Servers:
ns1-05.azure-dns.com
ns2-05.azure-dns.net
ns3-05.azure-dns.org
ns4-05.azure-dns.info

Registrant Contact:
Domain Administrator

Registrant Address:
61 Colindale Ave
LONDON
NW9 5EQ
United Kingdom
+44.2082004400 (Phone)
+44.2082007876 (FAX)
@phe.gov.uk

Renewal date:
Sunday 23rd Oct 2022

Entry updated:
Thursday 13th January 2022

Entry created:
Tuesday 23rd October 2012
13901 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Hi all

question for you. I just received this email and SMS. Seems legit, smells legit...
Looks legit. Not that I have ever had one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.