Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

Local lockdowns in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Internaut
The figure for cases certainly caught my attention. At some point in the next few days > 100000 is going to be the norm. How long before testing capacity is overwhelmed? I think things could get quite inconvenient in the next couple of weeks. Hospital staff, HGV drivers, shop workers, public transport workers and so on are going to be entering periods of quarantine in numbers. At the very least, I think it not unreasonable people have frozen backup (now) to the fresh things they normally buy in the run up to Christmas Day (though I still hold a candle for those fresh sprouts from our local M&S early-mid week). Oh, and try not to be ill.

Also, not to sound too pessimistic but while it looks increasingly like Omicron is vastly less lethal, I can see it overwhelming the NHS by virtue of there not being sufficient staff for those who do need hospital care. I think COVID has just become a disease of unpredictable knock on effects. I hope it peaks and fizzles quickly.
Exceeding testing capacity is being discussed, quite a lot. But not here.
It has already happened in the last 48 hours where for several hours at a time it was impossible to book a LFD or PCR on the NHS website due to lack of capacity. This will happen more and more for longer period of time.
And yes, having a stocked pantry and freezer as well as a stock of health essentials is not the worst idea now. It might be useless, but maybe it will be useful. There are possibility that vital infrastructure is disrupted (fire services, police, ambulance, electricity, medication deliveries, food and truck deliveries, workers in food stores).
Internaut, DaveS, nk15 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

If someone tests positive so they ask when symptoms began to calculate your 10 days?
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dan1113
If someone tests positive so they ask when symptoms began to calculate your 10 days?
Yes, assuming you are in England see https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...nd-what-to-do/

How long to Self-isolate.

If you test positive, your self-isolation period includes the day your symptoms started (or the day you had the test, if you did not have symptoms) and the next 10 full days. You may need to self-isolate for longer if you get symptoms while self-isolating or your symptoms do not go away. Read more about how long to self-isolate.
So the day your symptoms start is day 0. You can stop self-isolation on day 11 assuming your symptoms have disappeared.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Exceeding testing capacity is being discussed, quite a lot. But not here.
It has already happened in the last 48 hours where for several hours at a time it was impossible to book a LFD or PCR on the NHS website due to lack of capacity. This will happen more and more for longer period of time.
And yes, having a stocked pantry and freezer as well as a stock of health essentials is not the worst idea now. It might be useless, but maybe it will be useful. There are possibility that vital infrastructure is disrupted (fire services, police, ambulance, electricity, medication deliveries, food and truck deliveries, workers in food stores).
Exactly this, as I contributed last weekend in #8104 the real risk that the NHS and other essential services organisations are being tasked to consider is what contingencies they can put in place to continue to provide service if they have a significant number of staff off ill or self-isolating at or around the same time, and where staff have to be physically present onsite to maintain infrastructure to redouble risk assessments to keep staff separate and ventilate those spaces.

The NHS is under the triple whammy of winter pressure, it not having the necessary staff available due to self-isolation and dealing with extra COVID admissions albeit the latter is thankfully tempered with Onmicron not being so severe and it probably resulting in lass admissions per infected population than Alpha or Delta. Doing anything to minimise the risk of a hospital admission over the next few weeks would be sensible.

I am aware modelling is being done to consider just how pointly and tall the Onmicron spike is and what it might mean to general disruption to supply chains, utilities, etc. For example - what happens if several shifts of ATC at Swanick succumb to the virus all around the same time...

​​​

Last edited by plunet; Dec 17, 2021 at 10:29 pm
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by plunet
Yes, assuming you are in England see https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...nd-what-to-do/

So the day your symptoms start is day 0. You can stop self-isolation on day 11 assuming your symptoms have disappeared.
And if you have no symptoms then day 0 is the day of the positive test.
Internaut and plunet like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:51 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
Exactly this, as I contributed last weekend in #8104 the real risk that the NHS and other essential services organisations are being tasked to consider is what contingencies they can put in place to continue to provide service if they have a significant number of staff off ill or self-isolating at or around the same time, and where staff have to be physically present onsite to maintain infrastructure to redouble risk assessments to keep staff separate and ventilate those spaces.

The NHS is under the triple whammy of winter pressure, it not having the necessary staff available due to self-isolation and dealing with extra COVID admissions albeit the latter is thankfully tempered with Onmicron not being so severe and it probably resulting in lass admissions per infected population than Alpha or Delta. Doing anything to minimise the risk of a hospital admission over the next few weeks would be sensible.

I am aware modelling is being done to consider just how pointly and tall the Onmicron spike is and what it might mean to general disruption to supply chains, utilities, etc. For example - what happens if several shifts of ATC at Swanick succumb to the virus all around the same time...

​​​
Already some visible effects in London, where currently 30% of the fire services fire engine being out due to shortage of firefighters.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-cases-surge
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:54 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Got my booster yesterday (pfizer). At night I had a slight headache and pain in the jabbed arm, took a paracetamol before bed and slept with no issues.

This morning I woke up with pain in my arm (nothing horrible, but noticeable). Took a paracetamol and I'm feeling completely fine at this stage.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
List out now. No new variant areas.
True, but rules have changed at short notice in the past. This report suggests the Länder are still keen to see the Federal Government declare the UK a ‘virus variant area’.

https://www.br.de/nachrichten/deutsc...regeln,Srx0IBg

We’re due to fly to Berlin on Tuesday. Hard to feel confident about that, tbh.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slicktony
True, but rules have changed at short notice in the past. This report suggests the Länder are still keen to see the Federal Government declare the UK a ‘virus variant area’.

https://www.br.de/nachrichten/deutsc...regeln,Srx0IBg

We’re due to fly to Berlin on Tuesday. Hard to feel confident about that, tbh.
You really think they'll change last minute after yesterday's decision?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
It seems events are once again about to overtake us. Manchester Evening News reports a major incident declared in London and a COBRA meeting this weekend.

Edit: Happy to be wrong about this but I think a lot of parties are about to be pooped.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:03 am

What’s the latest on the affects of this variant? Are there any latest studies showing good or bad news? Whilst I see cases rising, what’s the impact on healthcare?

No comments on this statement please but the media seem to be really trumpeting this. Rightly or wrongly.

Mr C-W-S do you have any of your marvellous insights?
HGOLI likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Daily data:

Cases 90,418 (54,073 last Saturday)
Deaths 125 (132)
People vaccinated up to and including 17 December 2021:
First dose: 51,425,763
Second dose: 46,965,009
Booster: 27,156,276

The rolling seven day daily average for cases is now up 44.4% on the previous week and the same measure for deaths is down 5.9%. The rolling 7 day daily average for deaths is 112.4 today.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
What’s the latest on the affects of this variant? Are there any latest studies showing good or bad news? Whilst I see cases rising, what’s the impact on healthcare?

No comments on this statement please but the media seem to be really trumpeting this. Rightly or wrongly.

An example impact on healthcare is that one smaller NHS trust in London has approaching 100 staff with new infections today that daily figure having risen from half that number earlier this week, making a cumulative impact of several hundred staff now unable to work. Wind back two to three weeks to Delta days it was single figures staff reporting as new infections per day with the cumulative total well 50 at any one moment.

What I know in the specific trust I know the exact detail for is not unusual when compared to other NHS trusts across London.

So basically the hospitals are under real pressure for staff. And that's before you take into account more patients turning up presenting with COVID.

Rinse and repeat in other essential services, public sector or private, to varying degrees.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:28 am

Had my Pfizer booster yesterday for the triple shot, fortunate to have had no side effects other than a slightly sore arm for all 3 of them. Mrs FW is rather jealous!

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I had two doses of AZ, and then the booster was Pfizer. First AZ felt very "flu-y" afterwards, and was wiped out physically for a few days. Second AZ wasn't bad at all. The Pfizer booster was fine, other than a very sore arm for the next day. I did wonder whether that third dose did anything, but after attending a dinner in a restaurant last Saturday with 6 friends, 4 of which (having only had two doses) are now not feeling well, testing positive and self-isolating, while the other two of us who have had our third doses (both about a month before) are testing negative and not feeling ill at all - I'm pretty sure that third dose did something...
Maybe, maybe not; have had 3 people at one of the clients I do work for test positive in the last 2 weeks and they were all more than 2 weeks out from their third jabs.

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

If he's anything like one of the big vax centres near me, he might be working late. The one I went to yesterday is open till 23:30 tonight
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Indeed. I currently work at a large grocery chain (other grocery chains are available) in online shopping fulfilment - so when you place your order, the people who collect, pack, drive and manager the payment. The good news for me (as someone who gets paid overtime and keeps getting negative tests) is that there is a lot of hours available. But that is because people keep coming up positive and having to self isolate. We are able to manage right now by people picking up overtime and some agency hires, but if things get much worse with regards to infections, we will be swamped by being understaffed - in addition to the fact that we are already suffering supply issues to even have the right stuff in store to supply.

And of course, ironically, once people are isolating at home, how do they get groceries? Online orders of course...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.