TK status match (2017 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 23, 17, 1:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: CoweyB
Wiki Link
Update January 2017: Recent reports indicate the unofficial status match programme is running reasonably smoothly.

TK will only match Star Alliance Gold (they are clamping down on matching other *G), Skyteam Elite Plus, Oneworld Emerald members, Emirates and Etihad Gold/Platinum and El Al Platinum/Top Platinum. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

Please note that the only way to contact TK is now via the website

2/6/2015 new info from TK
We have received your message that you sent to our unit on 20 January 2015. Please be informed that when you claim your first flight with Turkish Airlines or other Star Alliance members to your Miles&Smiles account, your card will be sent to your address automatically.

On the otherhand, we would like to remind you that you can also get your original Miles&Smiles Card from Card Press Desk at Ataturk Airport International Terminal between 07.30 A.M and 09.45 PM. The location of Card Press desk is between A and B Check-in counters.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

21/9/2015 - Neil791
For those reporting successful matches, can you please post your results as follows so others can estimate their wait times, success rates

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (i.e. AB TopBonus, AA Plat, etc)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Nov 15, 17, 6:14 am
  #286  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,146
Originally Posted by CoweyB View Post
I think this might be different to what TonyVD is saying. His post refers to 50% of status miles.

Perhaps he, or someone who has got a similar challenge could post the text of the email?
Yes, post the text please. But you also need to be very careful with TK.

Back when the "4-months, then 15K status miles" structure was put in place, there was no mention of the TK metal requirement. Even so, I don't believe that TK honoured the emails sent by their staff and quite a few people were screwed.

So caveat emptor if somebody at TK has written about a bonus or a discount. It sounds strange to me that a 15K target is set, only to relax it by offering a bonus on the first flight. And to ultimately deny re-qualification or qualification to whoever does the standard 25K or even 40K.
craigthemif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 17, 12:53 am
  #287  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: BA Gold, TK *G, Virgin Flying Club, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20
Yes indeed I was referring to the text of the email which says "There is an oppotunity to earn extra %50 status miles from your first business class flight in the trial period."

Judging by people's comments it seems this isn't what it appears to be. English is not TK's strength so they could just be referring to the higher accumulation rate you get as an Elite member vs. a classic member but that would apply to all your flights not just the first.
TonyVD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 17, 2:58 pm
  #288  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: China
Programs: Oneworld Sapphire, Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 436
I completed my status match and received my new card from TK, now I need to collect 37,5k miles in the second year. I want to purchase some status miles (which I should be able to do because I finished my status match and i'm in the second year of my membership),however it says: 'The transaction you are trying to process is over the Status Miles purchase limit.'

Does this mean I can't purchase any status miles?
Granite64 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 17, 11:57 pm
  #289  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold), Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by Granite64 View Post
I completed my status match and received my new card from TK, now I need to collect 37,5k miles in the second year. I want to purchase some status miles (which I should be able to do because I finished my status match and i'm in the second year of my membership),however it says: 'The transaction you are trying to process is over the Status Miles purchase limit.'

Does this mean I can't purchase any status miles?
This option will be active when you have less than 10,000 status miles to gain. This means you have to fly at least 27,500 miles, then you can buy the rest of the missing miles. After my last flight, this has just happened on my account.
tomwro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:51 am
  #290  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: WAW
Posts: 213
I completed my status match (15k. miles in the first year) and got my elite membership renewed for another year (vaild through 1/18). My account now shows: 35,005 miles, but for some reason I cannot purchase missing miles.

Can aonyone confirm that 15k. I collected in the first year to renew the status add up to the 37k. I need to collect within two years?

Last edited by youngmcdonald; Nov 19, 17 at 9:01 am
youngmcdonald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 17, 11:27 am
  #291  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,146
Originally Posted by youngmcdonald View Post
I completed my status match (15k. miles in the first year) and got my elite membership renewed for another year (vaild through 1/18). My account now shows: 35,005 miles, but for some reason I cannot purchase missing miles.

Can aonyone confirm that 15k. I collected in the first year to renew the status add up to the 37k. I need to collect within two years?
No, as near as I can tell the original 15k (well, in fact everything you earn in year 1) are wiped out for status purposes and you need all 37.5K in year 2.
craigthemif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 17, 1:08 pm
  #292  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London UK
Programs: Club Carlson Gold, BAEC Silver, TK Elite
Posts: 465
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
No, as near as I can tell the original 15k (well, in fact everything you earn in year 1) are wiped out for status purposes and you need all 37.5K in year 2.
this is my understanding as well, as confirmed by the email clarification I posted earlier in this thread
CoweyB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 17, 6:37 am
  #293  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Posts: 256
Achieve status using status miles during challenge

I recently had TK match my Emirates gold status. According to the challenge I have 4 months to fly one long haul route on TK metal in order to get full on status.

Unfortunately circumstances have changed and I don't think I'll end up on TK metal before the end of march. I could, however credit > 40k status miles from other carriers (mainly ET) before March. Do you think they will grant me 2 yr gold status based on the rolling 12 month status mile window even though I'm enrolled in the challenge? I will never have flown on TK metal during the time period.

Interesting side note, I can already see that status miles posted before the challenge have dropped off from my current "status miles" total on the website. In the app however, they still count for status miles in the last 12 months...so go figure. Anyone experienced this before?
vytas315 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 17, 11:26 am
  #294  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Posts: 668
Originally Posted by vytas315 View Post
I recently had TK match my Emirates gold status. According to the challenge I have 4 months to fly one long haul route on TK metal in order to get full on status.

Unfortunately circumstances have changed and I don't think I'll end up on TK metal before the end of march. I could, however credit > 40k status miles from other carriers (mainly ET) before March. Do you think they will grant me 2 yr gold status based on the rolling 12 month status mile window even though I'm enrolled in the challenge? I will never have flown on TK metal during the time period.

Interesting side note, I can already see that status miles posted before the challenge have dropped off from my current "status miles" total on the website. In the app however, they still count for status miles in the last 12 months...so go figure. Anyone experienced this before?
Id be surprised if the status match on your account disqualified you for normal earnings.
Once youve accumulated over 40k miles in your first year, you should qualify for Elite the normal way.
gr8pirate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 17, 11:35 am
  #295  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,146
Originally Posted by gr8pirate View Post
Id be surprised if the status match on your account disqualified you for normal earnings.
Once youve accumulated over 40k miles in your first year, you should qualify for Elite the normal way.
There's a data point up-thread suggesting that this isn't the case.

It's as if TK have programmed the system to not allow you to "requalify" the normal way nor "qualify" since you are already some form of Elite.

Elite Plus would be a different matter though I'm guessing.
craigthemif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 17, 1:31 pm
  #296  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Posts: 668
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
There's a data point up-thread suggesting that this isn't the case.

It's as if TK have programmed the system to not allow you to "requalify" the normal way nor "qualify" since you are already some form of Elite.

Elite Plus would be a different matter though I'm guessing.
Wow. Sorry I missed that, its at the bottom of the wiki as well.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Nov 23, 17 at 2:57 pm
gr8pirate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 17, 1:43 am
  #297  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hamburg / Jerusalem
Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite
Posts: 1,239
So, I began to wrestle with TK since back in the day when my status match was approved the requirement was 15K on *A and not exclusively on TK as they later changed the rules.

Wish me luck
Innocent Abroad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 17, 2:01 am
  #298  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
There's a data point up-thread suggesting that this isn't the case.

It's as if TK have programmed the system to not allow you to "requalify" the normal way nor "qualify" since you are already some form of Elite.

Elite Plus would be a different matter though I'm guessing.
Further complicating my decision...thanks!
vytas315 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 17, 6:04 am
  #299  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BG
Programs: BAEC gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 653
Originally Posted by vytas315 View Post
I recently had TK match my Emirates gold status. According to the challenge I have 4 months to fly one long haul route on TK metal in order to get full on status.
Does the qualifying flight now have to be a long haul flight? I'm looking at doing a status match in the new year, but was hoping a LON-IST-VAR return would count to extend it for 1 year.
englisha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 17, 6:15 am
  #300  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by englisha View Post
Does the qualifying flight now have to be a long haul flight? I'm looking at doing a status match in the new year, but was hoping a LON-IST-VAR return would count to extend it for 1 year.
Just international...my brain made connections that aren't there.

4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realized for extending your card validity date to 1 year,
vytas315 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread