Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Update January 2020:

According to statusmatcher.com TK will only issue the the status match challenge to those holders of the following status:

Oneworld Emerald
Finnair Plus Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
Skyteam Elite Plus
Emirates Gold/Platinum
Etihad Gold
Oman Air Gold

Other Gold Card holders including *G are out of luck.

Please report your experience in this thread and note the useful information in the Wiki below.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (note list of matchable status above)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Got this email when I asked them (via the form) to confirm that I completed my status match (15k miles on TK):

'As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realized for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulated from Turkish Airlines flights at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.

When we checked your membership account we confirmed that the above mentioned criteria been fulfilled.
'
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold), Le Club Accorhotels Gold
In June, my 12 month trial period ended. I had over 25,000 status miles (and only 7000 miles with TK), but status changed to Classic Plus.

I should get 15,000 status miles (not TK, old rules)

I sent many messages to TK, but I doubted.

Today, after a month of downgrade, I was restored to Elite status by the end of June 2018. Similarly, it became a partner card.

The system implies that I need to have more than 11,000 status miles (up to 37,500) for the card to be extended for another 2 years.

If someone has a downgrade card, they should write, write, write and try to restore the gold.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:17 pm

I got extended for that 1 year after 4 months challenge. Now I was looking my future flights and calculating my points. I'm probably will be little shy of 15k points (TK ain't my #1 of airline). Anyone know if I buy status miles ($70 / 1k miles), they are accepted normally for this status match too?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:35 pm

You can't buy status miles in the first year (trial period).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by tomwro
You can't buy status miles in the first year (trial period).
Thanks, thought that was the case. So need to book one extra flight in some spot.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Clarification from TK on renewing Elite status after a status match

Originally Posted by Granite64
Got this email when I asked them (via the form) to confirm that I completed my status match (15k miles on TK):

'As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realized for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulated from Turkish Airlines flights at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.

'
I got the same message when I was matched in December 2015.

I did my one flight and was extended a year to December 2016 and after a further 15,000 miles I was extended another year to December 2017 (despite a slight hiccup when I was downgraded to Classic Plus for a few weeks before eventually being reinstated to Elite with one of the no-expiry date cards, then getting another one with the proper expiry date).

By the end of 2016 I had accumulated 34,437 status miles (95% of them from flights with TK) and by end July 2017 some 13,464 status miles making 47,901 over two years. "So why", I said in a tweet to @TK_HelpDesk, "does the card renewal page say that I need a further 24,036 to keep Elite?"

I heard back today from TK and this is the clarification about what needs to happen after a status match to continue at Elite level:
"After Gold Match transaction, your Elite membership will be renewed for two years as soon as you collect 37,500 status miles in the second year from the beginning of Elite membership. When we checked the details it has seen that you have already collected 13,464 miles in your second year. Once you have completed the requested mileage 24,036 status miles until December 2017 your Elite status will be automatically be renewed."
I must say this strikes me as very odd because I thought the 37,500 rule was the amount to collect over two years to renew (and 25,000 in the first year) but I have now lost the will to pursue this any more.

In September I have a few LO and SK flights to take and am flying to Vietnam from the UK with TK in J so that will get me up to 35,374. I expect that I will have another flight somewhere to take by then or I will buy the outstanding status miles if needs be...!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:11 am

There is no rules, I think. Turkish is differently doing the upgrade for the second year.

I have done on July with downgrade to Classic Plus in June. It follows that I must get ~11000 miles until June 30, 2018 (I already have ~70% status miles, mostly those from the first 12 months). The same applies to my partner.

My colleague a few days ago got an upgrade for the second year (he hasn't 15 000 TK status miles). But...
The status miles has been reset (0 status miles). It is reported that the card is valid until end of July 2018, and he must get 25,000 status miles in the first year, or in two years get 37,500 to have gold for the next period.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:35 pm

Wow! Quite a thread!

So does anyone feel qualified to summarise where we are with this right now? (some people appear to have managed to get their status back after being downgraded earlier this year having earned the 15k status miles on *A (but not TK) - is this still happening?) (and how about requalification? If you earn 25k in your first year DO you get extended or not? How about 37.5k? And are status miles being reset after a year?? So much confusion!)

Does anyone know what will (or should I say might?!) happen if I get to about 30k on a mix of *A (but not 15k on TK) by the end of the first year? How about if I manage to get to the 15k on TK flights and 37.5k (mix of *A) all by the end of the first year?? (This will help me decide whether to spend some extra $$ to bother!)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:58 pm

I was supposed to get 15k status miles (not TK). I had over 25k in the first year and fell to Classic Plus (Silver). I wrote several messages to Turkish. After a month they gave me Elite (Gold) status. Terms - I need to get 11.5k status miles until June 2018 (to have 37.5k status miles in 2 years).

But...

My colleague had 32k status miles in the first year (same condition, 15k status miles, not TK flights). His card was extended for a second year, but the miles was reset. It's not known whether the system treated his second year as the first? It's not known what will happen in 2018 when 2 years will pass. He wants to take care of this after the flight in February 2019, when he will have 37.5k status miles in two years.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by NZwino
Wow! Quite a thread!

So does anyone feel qualified to summarise where we are with this right now? (some people appear to have managed to get their status back after being downgraded earlier this year having earned the 15k status miles on *A (but not TK) - is this still happening?) (and how about requalification? If you earn 25k in your first year DO you get extended or not? How about 37.5k? And are status miles being reset after a year?? So much confusion!)

Does anyone know what will (or should I say might?!) happen if I get to about 30k on a mix of *A (but not 15k on TK) by the end of the first year? How about if I manage to get to the 15k on TK flights and 37.5k (mix of *A) all by the end of the first year?? (This will help me decide whether to spend some extra $$ to bother!)
I got status matched December 2015 for the initial four months - did the international flight and got extended for all of 2016. In 2016 I flew over the 15,000 miles required for another year (34,437 miles in fact) but I was in the batch of people who still got downgraded to Classic Plus. But after complaining, like others on here, I was eventually reinstated.

For 2017 I have flown 13,464 miles this year and I messaged TK to ask why the old website did not show me as having had enough miles to have Elite renewed for another two years given that I had flied >25,000 in year one. They responded by saying your elite status will be renewed for two years as soon as you collect more 24,036 status miles in the total of two years from the beginning of Elite level membership.

Well I thought I had done that already... by my calculation I have flown 48,000 miles with TK in 2016 and 2017. I think that when I was downgraded in December 2016 and then reinstated at Elite again after a few weeks it somehow wiped off my 2016 miles for status purposes.

In any event I have a trip in J to IST next month and to SGN in J in November both on TK and four flights with LO and SK this month so I will have 26,000 odd miles by December to get me another two years.

Lord knows what happens after that!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have the 4 month trial Elite card, and I've taken the required international TK flight to extend to a year. Does anyone know when I should expect the extension? The flights are credited correctly but my latest (August) statement still shows my elite membership expiring next week - the end of the 4 month period.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by volar
I have the 4 month trial Elite card, and I've taken the required international TK flight to extend to a year. Does anyone know when I should expect the extension? The flights are credited correctly but my latest (August) statement still shows my elite membership expiring next week - the end of the 4 month period.
Unless you have a flight coming up I suggest you leave it and see what happens after next week.

But when I was in your situation in 2016 I had to remind them of the status match when nothing happened after a few days of the four months expiry date... You could also send a tweet to @TK_Helpdesk I've always found they come back to me very quickly.
volar likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CoweyB
Unless you have a flight coming up I suggest you leave it and see what happens after next week.

But when I was in your situation in 2016 I had to remind them of the status match when nothing happened after a few days of the four months expiry date... You could also send a tweet to @TK_Helpdesk I've always found they come back to me very quickly.
Thanks. I will wait and see what happens after expiry then (I don't have any flights coming up for a few weeks).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
I want to throw in my experience from the past few weeks.

I got my matched TK*G in Aug/2016, flew 4 TK flights in 4 months and got a full year TK*G expiring in Aug 26th, 2017. Several weeks before the expiration date, I sent multiple inquires to TK customer service regarding the extension. I had more then 15k on *A status miles not all on TK. Every time they replied no, I have to have 15k status miles all on TK to be extended for second year.

Surprisingly, the status being auto-renewed on Aug 30th, 2017 and now expiring on Aug 31st, 2018. All in all, I am still very confused how TK system works behind the scene.

Now here is my question, my status requalification showed on the statement was
Required Status Miles for Elite requalification (*The first year or **the total of the first and second year as of the beginning of the membership are considered)
25000* / 37500**
Status Miles in the first year / Status Miles within the first and second year ***
0 / 35632
and now, after my status renewal, it shows
Required Status Miles for Elite requalification (*The first year or **the total of the first and second year as of the beginning of the membership are considered)
25000* / 37500**
Status Miles in the first year / Status Miles within the first and second year ***
0 / 7449
I'm wondering, is this my first or second year of Elite status? I am well passed 37500 status miles now if this is my second year, yet, the number was reset. I won't able to fly full 37500 miles in the coming year. Not sure if I will be still qualify Elite states.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:58 am

if you get 40000 within last 12 months you will get regular Elite irrespective of challenge.

The renewal challenges are reset though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.