Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:51 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Is there a way of redeeming TK Miles for something other than flights on TK?

My miles are set to expire at the end of the year, and I have no specific plans to fly TK. Can they be sent to a hotel partner?

Thanks all,

M
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Is there a way of redeeming TK Miles for something other than flights on TK?

My miles are set to expire at the end of the year, and I have no specific plans to fly TK. Can they be sent to a hotel partner?

Thanks all,

M
I don't think that you could send miles from TK M&S to Hotel partners. I know that you can do the opposite.
If you don't have specific plans to fly TK or a *A carrier, you could spend your miles at shopandmiles.com. That is the only option that I know that you could spend TK miles except flights.
Or, another option would be to extend the validity of your miles for three years online at turkishairlines.com. But, this process is a bit expensive ( 1000 miles for 10 USD )
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:46 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't think that you could send miles from TK M&S to Hotel partners. I know that you can do the opposite.
If you don't have specific plans to fly TK or a *A carrier, you could spend your miles at shopandmiles.com. That is the only option that I know that you could spend TK miles except flights.
Or, another option would be to extend the validity of your miles for three years online at turkishairlines.com. But, this process is a bit expensive ( 1000 miles for 10 USD )
Massive thanks!

Like you, I saw that I could transfer miles into TK, but not the other way around.

I'll have to see if there's anything useful within the shopandmiles website - I'll probably end up with something useless, but at least it'll be free!

M
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: All of 'em
When an Elite Plus member uses miles to gift Elite status to someone else, how long does it take to post, and how long is the Elite status valid for?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:08 pm

Strategy for connection in IST?

I'm looking at SFO-IST-CAI on Turkish Airlines. For one SFO-IST leg (TK80), there are three connecting options to CAI: TK694, TK692, TK690; with layovers of 1h, 7hrs, and 13 hrs, respectively. It seems like 1 hour is too short, but TK still sells it as a valid connection. What's the right strategy here? Should I buy the routing (TK80 + TK694) with the 1hr connection with the hope that TK would put us on the next flight to CAI (TK692) if we did not make the connection? Since TK692 leaves departs IST at 1:30am, I'm thinking it might not be full and we would have a good chance of being accommodated. I have no Star Alliance status, but my spouse is *G. We're traveling as a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.

EDIT: Other option is to go with the 13h layover and sleep in the airport (airport hotel?). Please advise.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by 49er
I'm looking at SFO-IST-CAI on Turkish Airlines. For one SFO-IST leg (TK80), there are three connecting options to CAI: TK694, TK692, TK690; with layovers of 1h, 7hrs, and 13 hrs, respectively. It seems like 1 hour is too short, but TK still sells it as a valid connection. What's the right strategy here? Should I buy the routing (TK80 + TK694) with the 1hr connection with the hope that TK would put us on the next flight to CAI (TK692) if we did not make the connection? Since TK692 leaves departs IST at 1:30am, I'm thinking it might not be full and we would have a good chance of being accommodated. I have no Star Alliance status, but my spouse is *G. We're traveling as a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.

EDIT: Other option is to go with the 13h layover and sleep in the airport (airport hotel?). Please advise.
The one hour connection is doable, as you don’t need to clear security or immigration (and you’ll be put on the next flight if you miss the connection due to their fault), but stressing through an unfamiliar airport with kids in tow is never fun.

I fly California-IST-onwards quite a bit and usually go with the overnight connections, stay the night, and continue the journey a little fresher the following morning. The airside TAV hotel is pricey and nothing special, but adequate. You can get a room at the landside TAV Hotel for much less, but that involves visas, depending on your passports. Since your flight next morning leaves pretty early, I wouldn’t go for a hotel beyond a couple of miles from the airport.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

The one hour connection is doable, as you don’t need to clear security or immigration (and you’ll be put on the next flight if you miss the connection due to their fault), but stressing through an unfamiliar airport with kids in tow is never fun.

I fly California-IST-onwards quite a bit and usually go with the overnight connections, stay the night, and continue the journey a little fresher the following morning. The airside TAV hotel is pricey and nothing special, but adequate. You can get a room at the landside TAV Hotel for much less, but that involves visas, depending on your passports. Since your flight next morning leaves pretty early, I wouldn’t go for a hotel beyond a couple of miles from the airport.
Thanks. It seems an e-visa for US citizens is $20/person, so for the four of us it would be $80. Since we are building in a long layover on the return (which apparently qualifies for the TourISTanbul free city tour, also qualifies it for the free TK hotel?), I was planning on getting e-visas so that we could go into the city on our return layover. Since the e-visa is multi-entry I think it would work for both the outbound and return layover plans. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by 49er
Thanks. It seems an e-visa for US citizens is $20/person, so for the four of us it would be $80. Since we are building in a long layover on the return (which apparently qualifies for the TourISTanbul free city tour, also qualifies it for the free TK hotel?), I was planning on getting e-visas so that we could go into the city on our return layover. Since the e-visa is multi-entry I think it would work for both the outbound and return layover plans. Let me know if I'm wrong.
yes, the e-visa will work for multiple entries while valid.

re: free hotel eligibility: info is in the transit hotel thread here

have a great trip!!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Is there a pattern to the way TK releases award seats? (E.g. some airlines issue at T-330 or T-355; others 3 or six months in advance; and so on.)

Thanks in advance!

PS Minor rant while I'm here: Why does TK make JNB-IST awards available but not CPT-IST awards on the same flights? They can't take pax on just the CPT-JNB leg, so by definition those seats will be empty! Very annoying.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Is there a pattern to the way TK releases award seats? (E.g. some airlines issue at T-330 or T-355; others 3 or six months in advance; and so on.)

Thanks in advance!

PS Minor rant while I'm here: Why does TK make JNB-IST awards available but not CPT-IST awards on the same flights? They can't take pax on just the CPT-JNB leg, so by definition those seats will be empty! Very annoying.
re: award availability: I wish I knew that as well.

re: CPT: when I flew JNB-IST in 2017, the aircraft definitely came from DUR and not CPT.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

re: award availability: I wish I knew that as well.

re: CPT: when I flew JNB-IST in 2017, the aircraft definitely came from DUR and not CPT.
You're right - the connecting flight is now from DUR and no longer from CPT as it used to be years ago! Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
Aside from flights and the Miles & Smiles Shop, is there any other way to redeem miles? Specifically, is there any way to book hotels using M&S miles?

I've seen options to transfer in from other programs but no options to transfer out to other programs.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Aside from flights and the Miles & Smiles Shop, is there any other way to redeem miles? Specifically, is there any way to book hotels using M&S miles?

I've seen options to transfer in from other programs but no options to transfer out to other programs.
Unfortunately, there are no hotel options to book with M&S miles. You could spend your miles at the Shop&Miles store or while booking/upgrading a TK, AnadoluJet or Star Alliance flight.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:32 am

You're right - the connecting flight is now from DUR and no longer from CPT as it used to be years ago! Thanks for pointing that out.
Though I do note that the same problem exists for this flight i.e. awards available on the JNB-IST leg but not for the whole DUR-JNB-IST flight.

Fortunately that is academic for me as I would prefer to fly from CPT - and award availability magically became available on exactly the date I wanted in June!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:54 am

Though I do note that the same problem exists for this flight i.e. awards available on the JNB-IST leg but not for the whole DUR-JNB-IST flight.

Fortunately that is academic for me as I would prefer to fly from CPT - and award availability magically became available on exactly the date I wanted in June!
That’s beautiful! I had my favorite TK FA ever on a flight to CPT.
Cheetah_SA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.