Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Messages posted in the The NEXUS Information Thread between 2007 and 2019 were moved to the:

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US.
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132 and 223 (Flyer given at NEXUS interview confirming document updates to be made online; report to enrollment centre if unable to change online. - DEC 2021).

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Print Wikipost

The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:10 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Montoya080
The card is really just a 'carrying case' for the little RFID chip inside.
The 'real' Nexus information is in their computer databases. The RFID chip just contains a reference number to access their database.
So it seems like the security of the card itself is of no matter as all th real information is actually not on the card.
Fair point but I think we all wonder why the picture is still garbage. It's still in black and white!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by xobile
Fair point but I think we all wonder why the picture is still garbage. It's still in black and white!
Aside from being black and white, my photo looks skewed, as if my entire head is crooked. I can't tell if it was taken at a very strange angle or the photo quality is so low that it got warped, but man is it weird-looking. My right eyebrow and my right eye are significantly above my left ones in the photo, and I can assure you that's not how my face looks in real life. I do wish the ID and the photo looked a bit nicer.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Montoya080
The card is really just a 'carrying case' for the little RFID chip inside.
The 'real' Nexus information is in their computer databases. The RFID chip just contains a reference number to access their database.
So it seems like the security of the card itself is of no matter as all th real information is actually not on the card.
At airports, will they be scanning that RFID chip then? Right now, at security they scan my drivers license but only, I assume, to make sure it's real. I don't think Oregon drivers licenses, which is what I have, contain RFID chips. The Nexus card itself looks really easy to copy, so if they aren't scanning the RFID, it's extremely vulnerable.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by oreocookies
Aside from being black and white, my photo looks skewed, as if my entire head is crooked. I can't tell if it was taken at a very strange angle or the photo quality is so low that it got warped, but man is it weird-looking. My right eyebrow and my right eye are significantly above my left ones in the photo, and I can assure you that's not how my face looks in real life. I do wish the ID and the photo looked a bit nicer.
I was 20 when I signed up for NEXUS and look way different today (almost 29). The CBSA Officer who took my photo used a crappy Logitech webcam and didn’t bother to center my photo on the card or try to zoom in. As a result, my photo is horribly off center and makes it look fake... As a result, and many TSA “staff” not knowing a NEXUS card is valid ID, I just use my passport card.. Hopefully my NEXUS renewal in 2021 will include an opportunity to get a new photo taken.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I was 20 when I signed up for NEXUS and look way different today (almost 29). The CBSA Officer who took my photo used a crappy Logitech webcam and didn’t bother to center my photo on the card or try to zoom in. As a result, my photo is horribly off center and makes it look fake... As a result, and many TSA “staff” not knowing a NEXUS card is valid ID, I just use my passport card.. Hopefully my NEXUS renewal in 2021 will include an opportunity to get a new photo taken.
For my appointment, they definitely used a webcam that looked to be about 10 years old. I really wish it was like a passport photo, where you could submit one. The Nexus photo doesn't look like me that much because, as I mentioned, my face is not slanted like it appears.

I *just* recently had to get my drivers license renewed, and it is not Real ID compliant, so I was planning to use my Nexus card rather than renew my drivers license in less than a year... but now I'm a little worried about using the Nexus card.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Hi everyone, quick question for people who may have experience with this situation.

My SO and I have Nexus and we moved to a new address about 6 months ago. When we moved, we updated our mailing address online but did not go to a Nexus enrollment center to update our residential address (nearest one is a few hours of driving away).

We are departing for a trip to the USA in a week so we are thinking we should have this all squared up before we go, but based on my experiences at the border and reading stories online I know they are really strict about anyone who doesn't follow the rules to the letter and I am worried we might have issues since we delayed updating our home address by 6 months. Is there a chance we could get our cards revoked when we show up at the enrollment center to change our address?

The closest enrollment center to us is in Port Huron on the US side. Would it be wise for us to drive the extra few hours to go to one on the Canadian side instead (either YYZ or Niagara Falls)?

Or is this a non-issue and I shouldn't worry about waiting 6 months to update my address after moving?

EDIT: For posterity, I realized that the Nexus terms state you only have to update your residential address if it affects your eligibility in the program (eg. moving to a different country). I called to double-check and they confirmed that as long as I've updated my mailing address online (which I did when I moved) I don't have to go in to update my residential address.
I was told address updates can be done at any enrollment center, not just Nexus ones. (As long as address change doesn't effect eligibility)
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:12 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I'm in the process of filling out the application (Canadian Citizen living abroad).

Seems like the online form insists on including a US address. Does anyone have experience in listing a mail forwarder (I have one but seemingly would need to include someone's name) or do they insist that a physical person's address rather than say a company or forwarder be listed ?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Sunday flew out of Canada for the first time since having GE out of YYZ.

I'm curious as to why there is a different line pre-security for Nexus/GE holders since they don't check to see cards and you can use the non-GE/Nexus kiosks after clearing security. The line was longer than the non-GE/Nexus line but I got in the line anyway figuring they would ask for cards and non-card holders wouldn't be able to get in line and I wouldn't get stuck behind clueless. travelers. There was a family of four in front of me that were clueless (i.e. had bottled water in the bags, didn't know coats had to come off pre xray) and then when they got through Xray they went over to the regular traveler kiosk. If they aren't going to verify proof of GE/NEXUS why not just have a priority lane before the kiosks.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: Westjet Rewards
Issue With NEXUS Application

Canadian here applying for Nexus for first time. The process is abot 8 steps. Around step 5 it asked me for employment information which I did not have at the time. I saved what I could to that point and logged out thinking I could log back in later and complete the application.
When I logged back in it brought me to my account page but it would no longer allow meto continue the apolication process.
I obviously have not completed anything. Does the application process have to be done in one sitting?
I have also seen where I have to delete the application and start from scratch.
Any advice and info is much appreciated.

Armeee
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by armeee
Canadian here applying for Nexus for first time. The process is abot 8 steps. Around step 5 it asked me for employment information which I did not have at the time. I saved what I could to that point and logged out thinking I could log back in later and complete the application.
When I logged back in it brought me to my account page but it would no longer allow meto continue the apolication process.
I obviously have not completed anything. Does the application process have to be done in one sitting?
I have also seen where I have to delete the application and start from scratch.
Any advice and info is much appreciated.

Armeee
I think you submitted it by mistake instead of saving, did it bring you to the page where you pay 50 bucks?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: Westjet Rewards
No, I stopped and logged out when it asked me about employment. I did not get to the payment page.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: EY
You're sure you are doing this on the TTP official site right? Not a third party site.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jwsm
Yes, I remember reading about that in the news recently that Nexus(not sure about GE or Sentri) will be doing away with iris scans and moving to facial recognition technology. Can you tell us where you did your interview?

My wife who is a US citizen is still waiting for conditional approval for her application that she submitted five and a half months ago(early July). Applications submitted during the months of June and July seem to have been overlooked for some reason and fallen into and got lost in some virtual blackhole. When I applied for GE a few years ago, I remember it did not take this long. IIRC, it only took about a month from when I submitted my application to when I got conditional approval. Would have gone with Nexus had it not been for the fact that my credit card would only cover the cost for GE, not Nexus. We live close to Canada and make a few trips up to BC every year so Nexus is a better option for us. It offers the same benefits(TSA Pre and US expedited entry) as GE plus it also has one other benefit that GE doesn't offer(expedited entry into Canada), for half the price($50 vs $100 for GE). A no-brainer really, especially for those who live close and travel frequently to Canada.

Will post back as soon as there is any change in the status. Hopefully, it won't be too long now before we see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Update: Nightmare's finally over! Wife just got a nice Valentine's Day present from the DHS. Her conditional approval notification came today. Total wait time: 219 days.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:14 am

OK, Nexus interview scheduled for next week at the Blaine location. With the switch and transition over to facial recognition technology, anyone knows if they are still doing/requiring iris scans at that location? Is it compulsory to have one in order to get approved for Nexus, or is that optional?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by jwsm
OK, Nexus interview scheduled for next week at the Blaine location. With the switch and transition over to facial recognition technology, anyone knows if they are still doing/requiring iris scans at that location? Is it compulsory to have one in order to get approved for Nexus, or is that optional?
Iris scans are optional, and are only used for Nexus Air arrivals at a few Canadian airports. Canada CBSA was the only user of Nexus iris scans, and is phasing their use out, airport by airport, over the next few months.

Here is the CBSA page describing which airports still use iris scans for Nexus Air arrivals.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/air-aerien-eng.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.