Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:09 am

Atlanta had the frame thing when I passed through there last month. I didn't realize the camera tilted so I just squatted down to get my face lined up.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I was surprised as heck by this at EWR this week! It was my first international travel since 2019, and then the GE kiosk did ask the usual questions. BTW, they were always a problem for me, because I answered "yes" to the food question even if it was only packaged candy -- the Nexus enrollment agent impressed on me always to answer each question strictly truthfully -- and then sometimes the agent receiving the declaration was irritated because I declared something in which they had no interest.

Anyway, before I could find any place to scan my passport, it told me to remove my glasses, recognized me instantly, and spat out the receipt. As usual, I had nothing dutiable or requiring inspection, and I was so startled that I just handed the receipt to the agent and walked through. I had noticed this in October at the Manhattan cruise terminals, but for quite a while they have been casual about it at cruise ports.

It's a huge change from the olden days when sometimes everything was inspected very carefully, or even from more recent times when they might ask how much cash I was carrying, where I worked, or any number of other things. I have the impression that, unless you profile as a potential terrorist, they can't be bothered with you. I'm grateful not to have to fill out forms.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Anyway, before I could find any place to scan my passport, it told me to remove my glasses, recognized me instantly, and spat out the receipt. As usual, I had nothing dutiable or requiring inspection, and I was so startled that I just handed the receipt to the agent and walked through.
At LAX in TBIT the kiosks don't even print a receipt. There's a CBP officer with a tablet monitoring the kiosks. Once cleared, you go downstairs, collect any checked luggage, and walk out. It would be great if more airports are configured this way.

I used to have problems with my fingerprints, so I'd get the X about 10-20% of the time for a biometrics failure. The photo match is definitely an improvement.
samosa likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
I was surprised as heck by this at EWR this week! It was my first international travel since 2019, and then the GE kiosk did ask the usual questions. BTW, they were always a problem for me, because I answered "yes" to the food question even if it was only packaged candy -- the Nexus enrollment agent impressed on me always to answer each question strictly truthfully -- and then sometimes the agent receiving the declaration was irritated because I declared something in which they had no interest.

Anyway, before I could find any place to scan my passport, it told me to remove my glasses, recognized me instantly, and spat out the receipt. As usual, I had nothing dutiable or requiring inspection, and I was so startled that I just handed the receipt to the agent and walked through. I had noticed this in October at the Manhattan cruise terminals, but for quite a while they have been casual about it at cruise ports.

It's a huge change from the olden days when sometimes everything was inspected very carefully, or even from more recent times when they might ask how much cash I was carrying, where I worked, or any number of other things. I have the impression that, unless you profile as a potential terrorist, they can't be bothered with you. I'm grateful not to have to fill out forms.

I haven't had my photo taken for years so kinda concerned whether it will recognise me for my next trip 🥴
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:34 pm

Landed at MCO today with my wife. The GE terminal did not ask for my passport, fingerprints, or any info, just my photo.

It printed the slip for each of us separately.I didn’t have time to look at it before they directed me to the agent. I don’t think it had the X on it.

However, the customs agent wanted to see our slip and our passports. He took our photos with the camera at the station and typed for several minutes. He did not say anything to us or ask us any questions, but it took maybe 5 minutes or so.

any ideas? Maybe our photos didn’t pass the test? Not the typical GE experience I’m used to.

Last edited by dval44; Jun 5, 2022 at 5:27 pm
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Used one of the new machines for the first time upon arrival on FRA-STL yesterday afternoon. My last international return was AKL-SFO in Feb. 2020, so I was a bit surprised when it spit out my receipt as soon as it took my photo. I’ll kind of miss the finger print scans; I got really good at making sure all five fingers were captured over the last thirteen years I’ve had GE . Handed my receipt and passport to the Officer nearby who asked about any alcohol/food (I had a bottle of wine and vodka which were gifted from my hotel) and got a ‘welcome home’ greeting. Overall it was a smooth process and I was surprised it didn’t make me do anything special beforehand to get my account setup for the new machines.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
I'll see how/if that works when I return to the USA from my next intl trip in June.
But, won't my "short person camera adjustment" screw things up for the next tall person--especially if they don't know about the camera hack?
Follow-up: When I reached the GE terminal (arriving in T4 JFK), the wheelchair pusher knew how to adjust the camera, I was able to get a nice photo seated in the chair, but the pusher had to push the "take photo button".
Side question: how do the 2.0 terminals distinguish TWINS?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
YVR Pre-clearance

Very impressive first experience with facial recognition at YVR. Super fast compared to the fingerprint scanner refusing to read Ms747FC’s fingerprints.

Took my handwritten list of food item to the agent, who waved us through.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
So, I'm sure this question has been asked before (but search is failing me). If we are required to declare all food items and GE 2.0 no longer asks any questions, is the correct protocol to declare it verbally (without prompting) to the person you hand the GE receipt to? I visit my family in the UK and regularly return with lots of chocolate, and I want to make sure I don't accidentally fail to declare that I have food and risk my GE status.
Xyzzy and Kumar2013 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by swiftaw
So, I'm sure this question has been asked before (but search is failing me). If we are required to declare all food items and GE 2.0 no longer asks any questions, is the correct protocol to declare it verbally (without prompting) to the person you hand the GE receipt to? I visit my family in the UK and regularly return with lots of chocolate, and I want to make sure I don't accidentally fail to declare that I have food and risk my GE status.
I'm with you. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my GE.
I always come back w/ chocolate from Finland for my friends and family. I just told the CBP folks that I do have dairy items - chocolate. (Dairy used to be a question we were asked.)
One guy just said "welcome home", and waved me on. One time the woman CBP officer said "that sounds wonderful!" , and waved me on. Another time the guy cut me off and just waved me on and said "have a nice day."

If in doubt - declare it verbally!
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw
i always declare. First, keeping track of what food I have helps prevent me from neglect. Second, if one declares, that should obviate any problems if what one declares happens to be caught on a bag check.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by 747FC
i always declare. First, keeping track of what food I have helps prevent me from neglect. Second, if one declares, that should obviate any problems if what one declares happens to be caught on a bag check.
Technically, you have until they ask to open the bag to say something. It's anything that comes as a "surprise" after that where's it's a problem.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:58 pm

1st international trip since 2019 and the Covid crisis. Entered HNL, no one in GE kiosks (4 with 1 out of order). 1st time using facial recognition GE kiosk but easy enough. Saw where it said place head in outline, sat there a minute or so,before I saw the
“ take pic” button lol. Did it and out spits my ticket with face and flight info on it. Handed that and my passport to agent, took off my mask at his request and waved through.

Previously in HNL, there was a separate line for GE exit at luggage carousel, but not anymore, everyone in same line, but not stopped nor questions asked, walked right out. No one ever asked about declarations, nor was a blue slip offered on plane.

Last edited by kitie carson; Jun 28, 2022 at 3:07 pm
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by kitie carson
Previously in HNL, there was a separate line for GE at luggage carousel, but not anymore, everyone in same line, but not stopped nor questions asked, walked right out. No one ever asked about declarations, nor was a blue slip offered on plane.
Since when is there a dedicated luggage carousel in HNL or elsewhere? Flown into HNL numerous times from Asia and never saw that. Never saw it at any other port either.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Since when is there a dedicated luggage carousel in HNL or elsewhere? Flown into HNL numerous times from Asia and never saw that. Never saw it at any other port either.
not a dedicated luggage carousel, a dedicated GE exit lane…I live here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.