Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
Suspended

If your record is clean, what are you worried about?

Also, people denied for GE aren't banned from international travel — i.e., not allowed to "use the regular immigration lines."
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:30 pm

I have heard stories about denial due to an erroneous information (not a willfull false information) such as a wrong zip code (I just quoted an example) entered for a previous address of residence or something similar...I have an international travel coming up soon, while I have all my travel documents in order I would like to have this GE card as well. But my worry is, with the loads of information I had to provide a small typo error should not be haunting me...That is my worry..I sincerely thank you for the response.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First and foremost, if your GE is denied, you will still be able to travel internationally and, of course, have access to standard CBP facilities.

Second, as with any government form, take your time to go over it carefully. Triple check everything. If you take the process seriously and don't multi-task while doing it, you won't have any problems.

Third, the people who are denied GE for seemingly minor issues, typically fail to correct them during their interview. Nobody really cares about your unpaid parking ticket from 12 years ago. But, CBP does care that you say that you don't have any when you are asked about them. So, during the interview, if you are asked to verify specific information, there is a reason you are being asked the questions.

But, bottom line is that you should go ahead and apply.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
The absolute worst case scenario of an honest mistake in this scenario is that you maintain your status quo WRT international travel.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:20 pm

Thank you all for sharing your experiences..

I am feeling a lot better now.
Thank you...
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:59 pm

what are my options if i get denied? does anyone have any experience with this? help

I had my interview today for Global Entry, i disclosed my convictions from when i was younger for a reckless driving charge (19) and a DUI (22), i was told by the officer that my application would be denied, im currently 29 years old... has anyone had any experience with this? im really hoping my past lapses in judgement can be forgiven and i can be judged for the person i am today... what are my chances?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:12 pm
Suspended

You can appeal the CBP denial to the Ombudsman (see instruction on the GOES website). It may take 6-9 months.

But, don't expect a positive result. Two serious charges only three years apart, especially the DUI only 7 years ago, are not the kind of thing which make CBP Officers hit the "approved" button. Prepare yourself for the likelihood that when you do hear back, that it will be a "no" and be really pleased if it is a "yes."

If you do appeal, keep it short and to the point and perhaps supply 2-3 short and to the point letters from people who know you and who can talk about the "person you are now."

I'm presuming that the "person you are now" means a spotless record, e.g., not so much as a speeding ticket since that DUI.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You can appeal the CBP denial to the Ombudsman (see instruction on the GOES website). It may take 6-9 months.

But, don't expect a positive result. Two serious charges only three years apart, especially the DUI only 7 years ago, are not the kind of thing which make CBP Officers hit the "approved" button. Prepare yourself for the likelihood that when you do hear back, that it will be a "no" and be really pleased if it is a "yes."

If you do appeal, keep it short and to the point and perhaps supply 2-3 short and to the point letters from people who know you and who can talk about the "person you are now."

I'm presuming that the "person you are now" means a spotless record, e.g., not so much as a speeding ticket since that DUI.

yea, no speeding tickets or anything, those are the only blemishes on my record, im hoping they can chalk it up to just being young and stupid and look past it.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Apply for a TSA Pre Check and enjoy the ride 90% of the time.

Lot of DUI's out there.

I stop at 2 drinks, just lucky...

Sorry did not know about the DUI, many of my friends have received them, it is a revenue thing with many cities.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:20 pm

so theres not really anything i can do then? just appeal the decision and hope for the best?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes that is your option. Not to sound critical but GE is a trusted traveler program and has requirements to select people for this privilege. I understand you've reformed but that is something you will have to prove to them.

Did you disclose these felonies when you applied or did you only bring it up at the interview?

Originally Posted by bryanad86
so theres not really anything i can do then? just appeal the decision and hope for the best?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Yes that is your option. Not to sound critical but GE is a trusted traveler program and has requirements to select people for this privilege. I understand you've reformed but that is something you will have to prove to them.

Did you disclose these felonies when you applied or did you only bring it up at the interview?
no felonies, yes complete disclosure and i was scheduled for an interview, did that today to be told i will be denied
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by satman40
Apply for a TSA Pre Check and enjoy the ride 90% of the time.

Lot of DUI's out there.

I stop at 2 drinks, just lucky...

Sorry did not know about the DUI, many of my friends have received them, it is a revenue thing with many cities.
OP applied for GE. Not sure how Pre-Check will help him at CBP on entry to the US.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
OP applied for GE. Not sure how Pre-Check will help him at CBP on entry to the US.
what really gets me is that i was conditionally approved and waited for this interview, why would they conditionally approve me and deny me if i disclosed everything

Last edited by bryanad86; Mar 7, 2016 at 8:31 pm
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It's the gov't if they made sense it would be amazing. As said before be ready for a denial but do the appeal. You've been a good citizen after 2 mistakes. That's what you have to get them to consider. Some CBP officers are very stringent and others more big picture.
I did an appeal after being denied because I was stupid and didn't hold back my opinion of DHS and was granted GE and now have Nexus. It will take time but give it a chance.

Originally Posted by bryanad86
what really gets me is that i was conditionally approved and waited for this interview, why would they conditionally approve me and deny me if i disclosed everything

Last edited by Yoshi212; Mar 7, 2016 at 8:59 pm Reason: correct spelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.