Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by notagin
I don't have chip on my shoulder, you're the one who asked for particulars and I gave them. Personally, I don't think it's very "just" to hold someone in "contempt" for a mistake made, in some cases years before.

In my case, I did answer "honestly" with the knowledge I had at the time. We forgive felons in this country if they "served their time" and hold it discrimination if that crime is held against them for employment, housing, etc. I note on this forum that people who have been arrested or had other scrapes with the law eventually can get the GE but people such as myself will be on a National database for the rest of our lives?

Something seems very wrong with that. I have written this not only for myself but any others who are in the same sad situation. I'm a supporter of the CBP. I think they have a very important/ difficult job. Maybe if some common sense was used in these cases, their job may become a bit easier.
The details matter a great deal. If you had an old speeding ticket, the Ombudsman process would likely be a breeze. But, what you consider "minor" CBP considers "major".

GE is discretionary, so CBP wins.

The Ombudsman process is discretionary as well and is generally reserved for correcting errors. But, it can work. The key is not to engage in the debate about what is minor and major and to simply apologize for what you did, accept that it was wrong and point out that if you had given it a second's thought, the lettuce leaf would never have made it to your luggage.

You can try that or not as you choose. But, the one thing which won't work with CBP is a debate.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:11 pm

I don't have chip on my shoulder, you're the one who asked for particulars and I gave them. Personally, I don't think it's very "just" to hold someone in "contempt" for a mistake made, in some cases years before.

In my case, I did answer "honestly" with the knowledge I had at the time. We forgive felons in this country if they "served their time" and hold it discrimination if that crime is held against them for employment, housing, etc. I note on this forum that people who have been arrested or had other scrapes with the law eventually can get the GE but people such as myself will be on a National database for the rest of our lives?

Something seems very wrong with that. I have written this not only for myself but any others who are in the same sad situation. I'm a supporter of the CBP. I think they have a very important/ difficult job. Maybe if some common sense was used in these cases, their job may become a bit easier.
This statement, and really this entire post, would be evidence you do indeed have a chip on your shoulder.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:17 pm

A lawyer can chime in with an expert opinion, but I don't think that is a true statement. Felons also lose some of their civil rights as well and must apply to have those restored. I would imagine most felons do not feel they have been forgiven.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:27 am
Previously known as Houranis

Global Entry denied then approved

Hi,
I applied for Global Entry and got denied 8-9 months ago, I submitted an appeal then. Never heard anything since. I forgot the whole thing. Few days ago I got a message said that my application status has changed. It was approved.

I don't know why my application status has been changed. Not sure whether if the appeal did anything.

Anybody had this experience?

Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:29 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The appeal backlog is known to be several months long; it sounds like they finally got around to adjudicating your appeal and did so in your favor.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:20 pm

Congrats!!!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:58 pm
Suspended

The time frame is helpful. There are threads here from people who appealed to the Ombudsman and have ants in their pants because they haven't heard back in a week.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Houranis
Hi,
I applied for Global Entry and got denied 8-9 months ago, I submitted an appeal then. Never heard anything since. I forgot the whole thing. Few days ago I got a message said that my application status has changed. It was approved.

I don't know why my application status has been changed. Not sure whether if the appeal did anything.

Anybody had this experience?

Thanks.
Would you mind sharing some of the details? Without specifics, just what was the reason for the denial? An arrest that you thought had been expunged so didn't admit to at the interview? Something on your initial application? Something else? Did you even get to the interview stage or were you denied at the initial application level? I think it would help some on here to decide whether going forward with an appeal is worth it and the possibility of success if they have similar circumstances to yours.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:30 pm
Previously known as Houranis

Originally Posted by Finkface
Would you mind sharing some of the details? Without specifics, just what was the reason for the denial? An arrest that you thought had been expunged so didn't admit to at the interview? Something on your initial application? Something else? Did you even get to the interview stage or were you denied at the initial application level? I think it would help some on here to decide whether going forward with an appeal is worth it and the possibility of success if they have similar circumstances to yours.
They just said "You do not meet the program eligibility requirements".
I don't have a criminal record not even a speed ticket, I have a decent educational degree and good job. I've been overseas in the past five years, maybe that's the issue.
No I didn't get to the interview, they just denied my submitted application.
You can submit an appeal, it won't cost you anything, but it will take a long time 6-12 months. Just be patient and forgot about it as I did.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:26 am

Global Entry Denial Recourse

I travel a lot for work. A lot. Just landed las night from MIA>LAX, fly out tomorrow LAX>EZE. I am plat with American, Delta, and United. (I often don't get to choose my own flights and am only a year into the travel hacking game, so better status coming soon, hopefully)

A good percentage of my travel is international so, given the amount of time I spend in security and immigration lines, I am an ideal candidate for GE...or so I thought.

I applied online, but was denied before I even made it to the interview process.

I have no criminal record, have never had a customs/border infraction, have never been affiliated with any political group at odds with the US...

Why was I denied?

More importantly, is there anything I can do about it?

I can't find any information online, there is no number to call and ask, they are no help at the GE office at JFK and, like everywhere else, refer me to the ombudsman...

I have no idea what an ombudsman is, but I have already written to him (in a very polite and professional tone) months ago with no response.

Could use a little help here if anyone has any info or advice.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was told by the CBP supervisor in the ATL office that the program has been so popular that they can be arbitrarily picky about anything and everything.

Because of the popularity, anything even slightly iffy merits an automatic denial by the central application processing team, and local stations can no longer override their decisions. The only recourse is to appeal to the ombudsman.

She further told me that ombudsman response time (if they bother to respond at all) is about 8 months right now.

Last edited by BSBD; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:47 am
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:10 pm

It may be worth contacting one of your congress critters as well. Some people have reported success in getting approved after having contacting them.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DavidBRKLYN
I travel a lot for work. A lot. Just landed las night from MIA>LAX, fly out tomorrow LAX>EZE. I am plat with American, Delta, and United. (I often don't get to choose my own flights and am only a year into the travel hacking game, so better status coming soon, hopefully)

A good percentage of my travel is international so, given the amount of time I spend in security and immigration lines, I am an ideal candidate for GE...or so I thought.

I applied online, but was denied before I even made it to the interview process.

I have no criminal record, have never had a customs/border infraction, have never been affiliated with any political group at odds with the US...

Why was I denied?
Did you letter really not contain -any- clue as to what they found that caused them to disqualify you?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Go back and make certain that you did not make an incorrect entry. All it takes is showing a residence in X city when a routine check shows you living in Y. All because you jumbled the year.

Presuming that you answered everything correctly, go the Ombudsman route. A congressman will likely forward your letter to CBP asking CBP to examine the situation, but won't interfere in the decision itself (who wants to vouch for someone they never met). The Congressman route may move things faster, but won't change the decision if CBP upholds its internal decision.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:29 pm

Global entry questions.. [Effect of Global Entry Denial]

Fellow members,
I have recently joined flyer talk and have a question regarding Global Entry.
I am considering to apply for this program and before I spend $100, are there any other impacts following a Global Entry application denial other than loosing the application fee...Will a denial show up as a negative record point on my file?
I presume, I will still be able to use the regular immigration lanes. Am I correct?
FYI, My records and history has been clean. I mean, no dui, no arrests and no customs clearance violations, no visa denials...

I am little anxious and on the fence to spend the money.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.