Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:34 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
You can appeal the CBP denial to the Ombudsman (see instruction on the GOES website). It may take 6-9 months.

But, don't expect a positive result. Two serious charges only three years apart, especially the DUI only 7 years ago, are not the kind of thing which make CBP Officers hit the "approved" button. Prepare yourself for the likelihood that when you do hear back, that it will be a "no" and be really pleased if it is a "yes."

If you do appeal, keep it short and to the point and perhaps supply 2-3 short and to the point letters from people who know you and who can talk about the "person you are now."

I'm presuming that the "person you are now" means a spotless record, e.g., not so much as a speeding ticket since that DUI.
Would/should speeding tickets (usually counted as infractions) be a problem? In NYS, after 4-5 years, speeding tickets and similar infractions are purged from the system.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It depends if you have one or two or a frequency that indicates a trend that DHS will not like a trusted traveler to have. Also it would matter if they were simple speeding tickets or elevated to the level of public endangerment.

Originally Posted by nrr
Would/should speeding tickets (usually counted as infractions) be a problem? In NYS, after 4-5 years, speeding tickets and similar infractions are purged from the system.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nrr
Maybe.

The one thing not to do is to lie. Whether something is considered an "infraction" or whether it may be "purged" under local law may be immaterial to DHS's consideration for a TTP.

If you are asked, the answer is, "yes, I had 5 speeding tickets about 10 years ago." If you say "no" and the Officer sees the those tickets whatever they show up as sitting there on the screen, you may be done for.

As to how many speeding tickets are too many, nobody knows.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe.

The one thing not to do is to lie. Whether something is considered an "infraction" or whether it may be "purged" under local law may be immaterial to DHS's consideration for a TTP.

If you are asked, the answer is, "yes, I had 5 speeding tickets about 10 years ago." If you say "no" and the Officer sees the those tickets whatever they show up as sitting there on the screen, you may be done for.

As to how many speeding tickets are too many, nobody knows.
I have extensive professional experience reviewing criminal history rap sheets, both CII (California Information and Identification) and FBI.

I don't ever recall seeing traffic infractions - as opposed to the more serious traffic offenses such as misdemeanor DUI and reckless driving convictions - listed in criminal histories.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bryanad86
no felonies, yes complete disclosure and i was scheduled for an interview, did that today to be told i will be denied
Just to be 100% clear; you disclosed the infractions -both- in your initial on-line application -and- at your interview?

If so, and if you've since been denied, I'd definitely recommend going through the appeal/ombudsman process-- as protracted and frustrating as it may be. If it's worth the effort to you, of course. But at 29, that's many years ahead of you, I'd give it a shot.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:52 am

Denied Global Entry - What to do next?

I finally convinced my friend to get global entry and he ended up getting denied. The custom officer would not tell him why and he has no idea. He's never been arrested, never been stopped or detained at customs, and not married. He's an US citizen of Indian descend and went to India a few times, that's it. This is in SEA btw.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Stand in the normal queue?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Get PreCheck for $85? And get the mobile passport app?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Your friend can appeal to the Ombudsman if he feels there truly is not reason for him to be declined. Keep the statement to the point and honest .
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by horse9118
I finally convinced my friend to get global entry and he ended up getting denied. The custom officer would not tell him why and he has no idea. He's never been arrested, never been stopped or detained at customs, and not married. He's an US citizen of Indian descend and went to India a few times, that's it. This is in SEA btw.
Did he check his GOES account on the day of going in to SEA for the "interview"?

On the day of being denied, did the online account say he was still conditionally approved?

Have you been with him to see what his GOES account currently says?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by horse9118
Depending on his level of enthusiasm and resources, one way of ruling things in or out is to FOI the various relevant agencies and see what comes back. I did 'em all and CBP took, by far the longest to provide my records, but having those was the key to getting approval.

Long process though, so if its a question of you convinced him to apply but he doesn't really care all that much and isn't prepared to put time and $$ into it, might as well drop it.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Among the list of all my other trips, I genuinely forgot about a four-day trip to Iceland when filling out my application. When I went to my interview, I volunteered this information to the officers unprompted. Neither CBSA nor CBP so much as raised an eyebrow, and I received final approval within days. I applied for Nexus, but CBP standards for GE and Nexus are supposed to be the same AFAIK. So going back to some of the earlier posts, forgetting to disclose a country visit probably isn't a showstopper unless it's a country they don't like.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by txviking
...So going back to some of the earlier posts, forgetting to disclose a country visit probably isn't a showstopper unless it's a country they don't like.
I'd say that's kind of a given.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by txviking
Among the list of all my other trips, I genuinely forgot about a four-day trip to Iceland when filling out my application. When I went to my interview, I volunteered this information to the officers unprompted. Neither CBSA nor CBP so much as raised an eyebrow, and I received final approval within days. I applied for Nexus, but CBP standards for GE and Nexus are supposed to be the same AFAIK. So going back to some of the earlier posts, forgetting to disclose a country visit probably isn't a showstopper unless it's a country they don't like.
Even if the country/countries left out were countries they don't like, it's probably not a showstopper as long as the GE applicant:

a) isn't one of those trying to use GE in conjunction with the US Visa Waiver Program; and/or

b) is not perceived as lacking credibility in the eyes of the involved CBP personnel.

If they think a country or group of countries were intentionally left out by the applicant so as to conceal something, then there may be issues -- even with visits to countries that haven't been of primary concern to the US Treasury's OFAC.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:41 am

Question for anyone who successfully appealed a denied GE application

Long story short... applied back in January and was conditionally approved. Denied during interview because I had been arrested twice. Couldn't provide the dismissal records of the first because of statutory retention records. They just didn't exist.

Was told I would need to appeal to the ombudsman. I did, and 6 months later I did not hear back. Sent a subsequent letter again requesting reconsideration as six months had passed.

Today, I receive an e-mail saying that my GOES status has changed from "Denied" to "conditionally approved" again. No communication from the Ombudsman.

I'm assuming this is a good thing, but wanted to know from someone who has been through it if this is how it works. Do I need to go in for another interview? And will they have a record of the reversed denial?

Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.