Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ari
It seems that people are being denied for no reason at all-- we know this because plenty of these people are approved after an appeal or talking to a supervisor. Personally, I'd file a complaint with the DHS OIG in addition to a FOIA request and an appeal. I'd also file a TRIP application. You might drum up more attention by raising the concern that your interviewer's demeanor changed when he found out you are gay. It probably isn't the reason for your denial, but it might make them look into it faster because it has a discrimination aspect to it.
What's a TRIP application? Familiar with the other acronyms in this thread so far.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
What's a TRIP application? Familiar with the other acronyms in this thread so far.
DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Sorry to hear about all this. While a lot of other people have stated that the CPB is not going to dismiss you based on your sexual orientation, that doesn't mean the interviewer didn't. While we live in a free country, people often abuse their power to align with their personal views and while I'm saying that is what the agent did, it certainly sounds like a possibility.

I went to DTW for mine and the agent was extremely nice and helpful and the interview took all of 5 minutes. Hopefully you find out what happened that caused the denial, and hopefully it is soon. Very curious myself.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they asked my fiancé's name and DOB after my interview so they could "flag his application." At the time I didn't know what to make of it, thought maybe they were being helpful. In hindsight, I suppose it was so they could deny him too. Still seems odd that they'd be so blatant about it, yet be unwilling to tell us why we were denied.
A thought occurred to me - perhaps there is something in your fiance's background that is creating the problem. When you confirmed your relationship to him that created problems for you.

Despite his various past good deeds, perhaps there is some event or other issue in his background--maybe significant or maybe not--that led them to consider your connection to him to make you something other than low risk. Of course, whatever it is he may not be telling you for some reason.

I don't mean to be suggesting anything nefarious about him, or anything bad about your relationship, but I suspect there are many people who may not tell their partners/spouses about various life events that may be embarrassing or perhaps worse if they happened before they met.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by drewguy
A thought occurred to me - perhaps there is something in your fiance's background that is creating the problem. When you confirmed your relationship to him that created problems for you.
Haha, no, he's not that good a liar. And in fact the timeline supports the opposite conclusion; in hindsight, my interview was longer and more intensive than anyone else's present, even though CBP didn't yet have any inkling that I was connected with Kevin. It would appear that I was predestined to be rejected.

I think if anything I sullied him, not the other way around.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
They ask for five years of travel history. Have you really only been outside the U.S., Canada and Mexico once in the last five years? That would certainly make yours a very unusual GE application.

When I applied for GE I had no international travel for the previous 5 years.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TomBrady
It's not even remotely odd. There are many people who have applied for GE so that they can use it solely for pre-check on domestic travel. There are many companies which, in fact, reimbursed employees for GE fees for exactly this purpose.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by lovely15

I had the opposite experience.

"Didn't you go to Canada a few years ago?"

"Oops, yeah, I did."

Why "oops"?

As I recall, the GE application both explicitly says that Canada and Mexico are not to be listed, and makes it impossible to list Canada and Mexico.

During my GE interrogation, I too was asked why I had not listed Canada and Mexico and rather than apologizing, I pointed out the CBP officer's mistake.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Why "oops"?

As I recall, the GE application both explicitly says that Canada and Mexico are not to be listed, and makes it impossible to list Canada and Mexico.
Yes, that.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I haven't had any, and I got mine as a pro-active measure for work since we tend to travel internationally for several weeks at a time every month and a half.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
I haven't had any, and I got mine as a pro-active measure for work since we tend to travel internationally for several weeks at a time every month and a half.
I got mine for pre-check an dsince i work for a global company i figured at somepoint i'd go overseas. However as soon as I got GE i went to Canada 3 times so I got nexus too. wish I would have done it the other way around and saved money.

also pre-check is the real benefit for us mostly domestic travlers.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:24 pm

also pre-check is the real benefit for us mostly domestic travlers.
Pre-check qualification was certainly 95% of the reason I applied. I never dreamed I'd be rejected.

In fact I hold out hope that, even if CBP wants to rummage through my bags when I return from my infrequent trips abroad -- which they're welcome to do! -- I'll eventually qualify for TSA Pre-Check once they make it a standalone program. I may look sketchy when it comes to Customs, but ain't no way in heaven or hell they could think I'm a risk to safety.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:06 pm

And as if on cue, three days after I wrote that last post, TSA announced today that they're making Pre-check a standalone program! I'll be first in line.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...tsa-precheck-0
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I hope you continue on with trying to get GE, and to understand what happened. For all you know, the same criteria will ding you again -- or your GE denial will count against you when you aplly for Pre. "Question 24: Have you ever been denied application for a trusted traveler program? If so, why?" :-)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by abaheti
I hope you continue on with trying to get GE, and to understand what happened. For all you know, the same criteria will ding you again -- or your GE denial will count against you when you aplly for Pre. "Question 24: Have you ever been denied application for a trusted traveler program? If so, why?" :-)
Ha! Nah, aside from my ombudsman request I'm through. It really was Pre-check I was after.

I'm already a member of Clear, and that involves a background check, so I can't imagine I'd be denied for Pre-check. As I said earlier in the thread, it's one thing for CBP to worry that I might try and sneak something through customs, but no one with my credit score is going to be mistaken for a shoe bomber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.