Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:57 pm

Follow-up: approved for pre-check 6 days after walking into an enrollment center.

I'm going to follow-up on the GE application anyway, just to find out what kind of skeletons are apparently in my 'permanent record.'
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:35 pm

Global Entry Denial

Hi All,

So just got a denial for Global Entry. Reason - other. Have no clue about why I was denied.

When I had my interview - they asked me some questions about the 2 addresses that I listed. My primary address, which i have been at for 8 years now, I guess was listed under someone else profile. So the interviewer asked me questions if I knew certain people, and I answered no, when appropriate. They asked about my childhood home, which was the 2nd address I listed, and again gave the honest and appropriate answers.

If someone in my household or that I am related to has a criminal record - does that automatically disqualify me? I have never been arrested or convicted of a crime.

I wrote to the ombudsman but all I said was that I was denied and have no clue on why i was denied. Please give an answer so this situation can be rectified. Because I have no clue what the issue could be.

I also went back to the office to see why I was denied but they couldnt give me any information. Said that I needed to request my FOIA records - no clue what that is either.

Any advice would be appreicated. Im hoping that i hear from the ombudsman before 6 months - should I hope or just forget about it.

Im very angry and upset about this. Feel like I just wasted $100 dollars.

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by c2briggs1
Hi All,

So just got a denial for Global Entry. Reason - other. Have no clue about why I was denied.

When I had my interview - they asked me some questions about the 2 addresses that I listed. My primary address, which i have been at for 8 years now, I guess was listed under someone else profile. So the interviewer asked me questions if I knew certain people, and I answered no, when appropriate. They asked about my childhood home, which was the 2nd address I listed, and again gave the honest and appropriate answers.

If someone in my household or that I am related to has a criminal record - does that automatically disqualify me? I have never been arrested or convicted of a crime.

I wrote to the ombudsman but all I said was that I was denied and have no clue on why i was denied. Please give an answer so this situation can be rectified. Because I have no clue what the issue could be.

I also went back to the office to see why I was denied but they couldnt give me any information. Said that I needed to request my FOIA records - no clue what that is either.

Any advice would be appreicated. Im hoping that i hear from the ombudsman before 6 months - should I hope or just forget about it.

Im very angry and upset about this. Feel like I just wasted $100 dollars.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, this can and does happen -quite frequently actually.
As this is a government program with extended benefits beyond an expedited screening lane, they are free to deny it if they feel the need.

So far good job with writing the appeal, give it some time. Anyhow give that thread I linked you a quick look as it has some very helpful information on this matter. Way more than I could give. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh my bad, didn't realize you already posted there. Needless to say, good luck.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Unfortunately, this can and does happen -quite frequently actually.
As this is a government program with extended benefits beyond an expedited screening lane, they are free to deny it if they feel the need.

So far good job with writing the appeal, give it some time. Anyhow give that thread I linked you a quick look as it has some very helpful information on this matter. Way more than I could give. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh my bad, didn't realize you already posted there. Needless to say, good luck.
Thanks - I wouldnt be so angry if I knew WHY... telling me other doesnt really tell me anything. Again, I have never been arrested or convicted of anything so this is baffling to me.

Thanks for the other thread.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Let's say you happen to live with someone who is on a No Fly list (or has other major issues) and that is why you are denied. Would you really expect them to say that?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:11 pm

Yes I would expect for them to say something to me about it and tell me why. My bigger issue is that when I went to the Customs office - they said to me they couldnt tell me and to write the appeal and then to check out FOIA. That tells me nothing on why I was denied. The interviewer told me that I would get my card etc in a few days. Gave me the little booklet with my number in it and everything.

Then a few days later Im told no and the reason is so vague that doesnt really help me with the appeal process.

On top of that - i have to possibly wait 6 months in hopes that they have reviewed the application and still wont have a clue as to WHY I was denied.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:29 pm

Yes I would expect for them to say something to me about it and tell me why. My bigger issue is that when I went to the Customs office - they said to me they couldnt tell me and to write the appeal and then to check out FOIA. That tells me nothing on why I was denied. The interviewer told me that I would get my card etc in a few days. Gave me the little booklet with my number in it and everything.

Then a few days later Im told no and the reason is so vague that doesnt really help me with the appeal process.

On top of that - i have to possibly wait 6 months in hopes that they have reviewed the application and still wont have a clue as to WHY I was denied.
re FOIA, this will be a fruitless pursuit. Good luck on your appeal.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:33 pm

It all seems fruitless, to an extent. Again - bigger issue is why was I denied. And I dont like the fact that the people in the global entry office cant tell you why you were denied either. It really makes no sense.

As for your earlier comment about the no-fly etc - none of my family is on any kind of list such as that. That I can guarantee.

But this goes back to my frustration about why I was denied. I hope the appeal will take more like 2 to 3 weeks rather than 6 dang months. Regardless of how many denials they get a month - 6 months is ridiculous.

Thanks for the good luck on the appeal. I'm tempted to get a lawyer and get this straightened out ASAP but alas. So frickin frustrating.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:10 pm
Suspended

oops! Duplicate post, see below
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:11 pm
Suspended

It all seems fruitless, to an extent. Again - bigger issue is why was I denied. And I dont like the fact that the people in the global entry office cant tell you why you were denied either. It really makes no sense.

As for your earlier comment about the no-fly etc - none of my family is on any kind of list such as that. That I can guarantee.

But this goes back to my frustration about why I was denied. I hope the appeal will take more like 2 to 3 weeks rather than 6 dang months. Regardless of how many denials they get a month - 6 months is ridiculous.

Thanks for the good luck on the appeal. I'm tempted to get a lawyer and get this straightened out ASAP but alas. So frickin frustrating.
Couple of thoughts -- and BTW, up to the mods, but I really think this should have remained in the other thread since all of what I'm about to say is there already.

1. I sincerely doubt that appeal will be "2 to 3 weeks" vs 6 months-- or longer.

2. You mention "get[ting] a lawyer and get[ting] this straightened out ASAP." No, a getting a lawyer and "ASAP" are mutually exclusive. It will take a LONG time no matter what and having a lawyer involved (as I did in my case) will -not- speed anything up.

3. FOI filing. If you feel something you said in the interview led to the denial, then FOI might not help much. If, OTOH, it's something in your past or pertaining to your associations with other individuals (which I tend to doubt, personally) then FOI filing is, IMO, the only way to get this worked out, or, any the very least, to arm yourself with the requisite info on the path to doing so.

4. As far as expecting the actual officers to tell you why you were denied, that's completely unrealistic, and, further, I personally wouldn't suggest bothering them about it any further
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Couple of thoughts -- and BTW, up to the mods, but I really think this should have remained in the other thread since all of what I'm about to say is there already.
Actually, I'll merge it into the Global Entry Denial Recourse thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:48 pm

1. I sincerely doubt that appeal will be "2 to 3 weeks" vs 6 months-- or longer.

2. You mention "get[ting] a lawyer and get[ting] this straightened out ASAP." No, a getting a lawyer and "ASAP" are mutually exclusive. It will take a LONG time no matter what and having a lawyer involved (as I did in my case) will -not- speed anything up.

3. FOI filing. If you feel something you said in the interview led to the denial, then FOI might not help much. If, OTOH, it's something in your past or pertaining to your associations with other individuals (which I tend to doubt, personally) then FOI filing is, IMO, the only way to get this worked out, or, any the very least, to arm yourself with the requisite info on the path to doing so.

4. As far as expecting the actual officers to tell you why you were denied, that's completely unrealistic, and, further, I personally wouldn't suggest bothering them about it any further

1. I know it will take longer than the few weeks.... it was just wishful thinking.

2. I know it is a long process.

3. I have no clue why the denied me. Again my letter said 'Other'. I've no criminal history, conviction, arrest, nothing. The only reason why I think it might have something to do with a family member is becuz the officer asked me if I knew certain people, I guess based on the address of the application. I also disclosed everyone who lived in the house with me. They also asked about my grandmothers house, and asked about my uncle (if I knew him) to which I responded, yes.

4. Only reason I went down to the office is becuz the letter gave me that option. To which that was a worthless visit since the officer couldn't tell me why I was denied.

Again, if the letter specifically told me the reason, I wouldn't be as upset. The denial letter said Other, and that honestly doesn't mean much or tell me anything.

I'm tempted to reapply and then hope for another conditional approval and just do my interview else. My officer was kind of rude but again, once it was over. He said I was all set and I would get my card in the mail. Handed me a welcome little booklet and that was it. What ticks me off further is that I asked him, will my address give me issues. I've owned my home since 2009. He said he wasn't at liberty to say but then gave me all the welcome information.

Other doesn't tell me why they denied me.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:37 pm
Suspended

...I'm tempted to reapply and then hope for another conditional approval and just do my interview else.
Yeah, that's not gonna work.

You need to think this whole thing over. Carefully.

Good luck.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:30 pm

Unless someone has proof to the contrary, a FOIA request is doomed to failure. A security agency will never reveal the basis of their denial. A big waste of time to try it.

Which by the way, is consistent with item #4...

The OP is doomed to frustration by pursing these courses of action. While a general appeal might work, don't hold your breath. Sorry....
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747FC
Unless someone has proof to the contrary, a FOIA request is doomed to failure. A security agency will never reveal the basis of their denial. A big waste of time to try it..
I don't agree (as a general statement-- not as it pertains to this instance.). As far as proof, it worked in my case, that's proof enough for me-- it's how I was able to get approved.

And, no, my point #4 has nothing to do with it in any way, it's quote specific to, well, try re-reading it (the "the actual officers" part.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.