Global Entry Denial Recourse

Old Nov 15, 14, 12:53 pm
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
Yep, they seem pretty rigid on this. Recently I was chatting in the Saratoga gate area in with a guy about how cool GE is, and how I love it. He told me he was denied because he'd brought cigars from Cuba many many years ago and was caught. It's on his record, and he was told he could kiss goodbye to any hope of GE.

But your situation sounds a bit different... Maybe it's worth following up with the 'chaps.' Go in person; take evidence of your medical condition with you; be prepared to plead, beg and grovel... At all costs, my advice is not to be indignant with them...

Best wishes.
Old Nov 15, 14, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't take this as a personal attack, it's just the reality of the situation:

1. Like it or not, you made a false declaration back in 2009 and it related to the contents of your luggage. That's exactly what GE is all about, e.g. letting people go with zero to minimal physical inspection.

2. Bringing undeclared food into the US, is a big deal. Lettuce leaf included. You could likely have a couple of Cuban cigars and CBP would just toss them and leave you alone. But, not food which carries bugs and the like. The $300 is pretty stiff.

There are millions of diabetics who travel and who carry backup nutrition. And, most food items are allowed into the US, but not raw lettuce. If you had answered the declaration truthfully, CBP would have nabbed your lettuce leaf and left you the other stuff, whether it originated in the US or not.

At this point having been denied, your best bet is to appeal to the Ombudsman. Lay out the facts. Do not minimize your conduct and a word to the wise, lose the chip on the shoulder. It's your fault and blaming others hurts you badly. You forgot. Plain and simple. It's human.

There is close to zero chance of a new shot, but the Ombudsman process costs you nothing. Thus, no downside to the attempt.
Old Nov 15, 14, 4:10 pm

Programs: United Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold
I don't have chip on my shoulder, you're the one who asked for particulars and I gave them. Personally, I don't think it's very "just" to hold someone in "contempt" for a mistake made, in some cases years before.

In my case, I did answer "honestly" with the knowledge I had at the time. We forgive felons in this country if they "served their time" and hold it discrimination if that crime is held against them for employment, housing, etc. I note on this forum that people who have been arrested or had other scrapes with the law eventually can get the GE but people such as myself will be on a National database for the rest of our lives?

Something seems very wrong with that. I have written this not only for myself but any others who are in the same sad situation. I'm a supporter of the CBP. I think they have a very important/ difficult job. Maybe if some common sense was used in these cases, their job may become a bit easier.
Old Nov 16, 14, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notagin View Post
I don't have chip on my shoulder, you're the one who asked for particulars and I gave them. Personally, I don't think it's very "just" to hold someone in "contempt" for a mistake made, in some cases years before.

In my case, I did answer "honestly" with the knowledge I had at the time. We forgive felons in this country if they "served their time" and hold it discrimination if that crime is held against them for employment, housing, etc. I note on this forum that people who have been arrested or had other scrapes with the law eventually can get the GE but people such as myself will be on a National database for the rest of our lives?

Something seems very wrong with that. I have written this not only for myself but any others who are in the same sad situation. I'm a supporter of the CBP. I think they have a very important/ difficult job. Maybe if some common sense was used in these cases, their job may become a bit easier.
The details matter a great deal. If you had an old speeding ticket, the Ombudsman process would likely be a breeze. But, what you consider "minor" CBP considers "major".

GE is discretionary, so CBP wins.

The Ombudsman process is discretionary as well and is generally reserved for correcting errors. But, it can work. The key is not to engage in the debate about what is minor and major and to simply apologize for what you did, accept that it was wrong and point out that if you had given it a second's thought, the lettuce leaf would never have made it to your luggage.

You can try that or not as you choose. But, the one thing which won't work with CBP is a debate.
Old Nov 16, 14, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

This statement, and really this entire post, would be evidence you do indeed have a chip on your shoulder.
Old Nov 16, 14, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

A lawyer can chime in with an expert opinion, but I don't think that is a true statement. Felons also lose some of their civil rights as well and must apply to have those restored. I would imagine most felons do not feel they have been forgiven.
Old Nov 28, 14, 12:27 pm

Global Entry denied then approved

Hi,
I applied for Global Entry and got denied 8-9 months ago, I submitted an appeal then. Never heard anything since. I forgot the whole thing. Few days ago I got a message said that my application status has changed. It was approved.

I don't know why my application status has been changed. Not sure whether if the appeal did anything.

Anybody had this experience?

Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 14, 12:29 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The appeal backlog is known to be several months long; it sounds like they finally got around to adjudicating your appeal and did so in your favor.
Old Nov 29, 14, 7:20 pm

Congrats!!!
Old Nov 29, 14, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The time frame is helpful. There are threads here from people who appealed to the Ombudsman and have ants in their pants because they haven't heard back in a week.
Old Nov 29, 14, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BAEC nobody (well, Bronze so pretty much the same thing), Hyatt Plat, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Houranis View Post
Hi,
I applied for Global Entry and got denied 8-9 months ago, I submitted an appeal then. Never heard anything since. I forgot the whole thing. Few days ago I got a message said that my application status has changed. It was approved.

I don't know why my application status has been changed. Not sure whether if the appeal did anything.

Anybody had this experience?

Thanks.
Would you mind sharing some of the details? Without specifics, just what was the reason for the denial? An arrest that you thought had been expunged so didn't admit to at the interview? Something on your initial application? Something else? Did you even get to the interview stage or were you denied at the initial application level? I think it would help some on here to decide whether going forward with an appeal is worth it and the possibility of success if they have similar circumstances to yours.
Old Nov 29, 14, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Would you mind sharing some of the details? Without specifics, just what was the reason for the denial? An arrest that you thought had been expunged so didn't admit to at the interview? Something on your initial application? Something else? Did you even get to the interview stage or were you denied at the initial application level? I think it would help some on here to decide whether going forward with an appeal is worth it and the possibility of success if they have similar circumstances to yours.
They just said "You do not meet the program eligibility requirements".
I don't have a criminal record not even a speed ticket, I have a decent educational degree and good job. I've been overseas in the past five years, maybe that's the issue.
No I didn't get to the interview, they just denied my submitted application.
You can submit an appeal, it won't cost you anything, but it will take a long time 6-12 months. Just be patient and forgot about it as I did.
Old Mar 18, 15, 10:26 am

Global Entry Denial Recourse

I travel a lot for work. A lot. Just landed las night from MIA>LAX, fly out tomorrow LAX>EZE. I am plat with American, Delta, and United. (I often don't get to choose my own flights and am only a year into the travel hacking game, so better status coming soon, hopefully)

A good percentage of my travel is international so, given the amount of time I spend in security and immigration lines, I am an ideal candidate for GE...or so I thought.

I applied online, but was denied before I even made it to the interview process.

I have no criminal record, have never had a customs/border infraction, have never been affiliated with any political group at odds with the US...

Why was I denied?

More importantly, is there anything I can do about it?

I can't find any information online, there is no number to call and ask, they are no help at the GE office at JFK and, like everywhere else, refer me to the ombudsman...

I have no idea what an ombudsman is, but I have already written to him (in a very polite and professional tone) months ago with no response.

Could use a little help here if anyone has any info or advice.
Old Mar 18, 15, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT GLD, HH Diamond, Marriott Rewards Silver
I was told by the CBP supervisor in the ATL office that the program has been so popular that they can be arbitrarily picky about anything and everything.

Because of the popularity, anything even slightly iffy merits an automatic denial by the central application processing team, and local stations can no longer override their decisions. The only recourse is to appeal to the ombudsman.

She further told me that ombudsman response time (if they bother to respond at all) is about 8 months right now.

Last edited by BSBD; Mar 18, 15 at 11:47 am
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:10 pm

It may be worth contacting one of your congress critters as well. Some people have reported success in getting approved after having contacting them.

Search this Thread