Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 8:18 pm

I know it was a big mistake not mentioning the mismatched criminal record at the time of interview. But the officer did not show any signs of doubting or confusion so I did not realize this issue (the last time it happened to me was about years ago...).
How can I catch this officer again? Shall I spend another $100 for reapplying? If yes when shall I do this? Can I pass the preapproval if I reapply immediately? Today I called the local GE office and they denied my request for speaking with the supervisor.

Originally Posted by Often1
It was a huge mistake not to mention this. It would have stopped the process while the paperwork was gathered and ultimately OP would have been approved (presuming nothing else). It would have been unfortunate if OP had not known of this situation, but he did know and it has caused him issues in the past.

CBP pulls from both NCIC and state databases as well as many commercial databases and state DMV's.

The easiest place to obtain documentation will likely be from the state DMV which issued your DL. It apparently picked up on your "evil twin" and did some work to verify that you are not the bad guy. It will be a start to track down the information you need.

In this particular case I would advise doing something a bit out of the ordinary. I would take that information from your state DMV and head back to the GE office and hang around until you can find the Officer who denied you.

An "appeal" to the Ombudsman is next, but that can take 12-18 months, so a one shot with the Officer who thought he caught you in a lie is worth the effort.

Not to pile on here, but in future, you know that this issue is out there. You can expect issues to arise and you should be the person to surface the issue and not wait for it to occur.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Step 1: Get the info clearing your name as you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent on this. DMV record. FBI record.
Step 2: Return to office and see if that specific agent is available and if so wait to speak to them. If not, present documentation to other agent. If they refuse to accept documentation or do nothing with it proceed..
Step 3: Appeal to Ombudsman
Old May 22, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - I doubt an appeal to the Ombudsman will do anything positive.

Sure - OP is the purported good citizen, contrary to the evil twin. However, GE is a discretionary program. When CBP has "reasons" to believe someone not qualified, CBP can still deny the enrollment on that basis.

We all are not certain what the evil twin's rap sheet looks like. But if the person is a felon, I doubt that CBP will let this one go easily just because of a simply mismatch.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by garykung

We all are not certain what the evil twin's rap sheet looks like. But if the person is a felon, I doubt that CBP will let this one go easily just because of a simply mismatch.
Why shouldn't they? If the mismatch is genuine and substantiated, what basis would CBP have to deny GE to OP (assuming there's not something else missing)?
Often1 and phltraveler like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of course CBP will. If it was a felony, there were almost certainly prints taken of the "evil twin". OP may need to submit to having himself printed and having his prints compared to those on the "evil twin's" felony record, but this is a big deal and will continue to follow him through life.

All depending on where OP lives, it may be that his local police department will assist in this process, as many local PD's will take prints and perform other similar functions, either for a fee or as part of citizen service.

While this does not require a lawyer, it may be that a lawyer would be helpful here as the best approaches to the "system" are not always the obvious.

Either way, not worth doing anything until the issue can be factually cleared.

Do not spend $100 to reapply. Having been denied, OP will likely not obtain conditional approval and will never get to a second interview.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by drewguy
If the mismatch is genuine and substantiated, what basis would CBP have to deny GE to OP (assuming there's not something else missing)?
For the sake of the argument - if you have the same name as a well-known terrorist (death or alive), do you really believe CBP will let you having GE just because you are not the same person?
Old May 24, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Sounds like identity theft!

Check your SS number with credit bureaus ??

Then check with local LE - make a report - take incident number to feds ....
Old May 24, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
For the sake of the argument - if you have the same name as a well-known terrorist (death or alive), do you really believe CBP will let you having GE just because you are not the same person?
Yes. That is the rationale for a redress number. (I know a high-ranking LE official who has the same name as someone on a no-fly list. He had to jump through some hoops to get his situation fixed.)
drewguy likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
That is the rationale for a redress number.
A TRIP number has nothing to do with OP's situation.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:09 am

A TRIP number has nothing to do with OP's situation.
i was responding to your analogy, not to the OP.
drewguy and RandomBaritone like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
i was responding to your analogy, not to the OP.
OIC.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:51 am

Global Entry Denial “Other”

I have searched the forums but not much has come up. I was denied Global Entry and on the letter all the reason says is “OTHER”

Has anyone else had this reason of denial? Anyone have any suggestions on what it could be? I contacted my local office to schedule an appointment with a supervisor and I will also mail the ombudsman.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:25 pm

I was denied back in September 2017 at the Detroit/Windsor border patrol office (in Detroit). This is what their reasoning was (in person and in the letter):

We regret to inform you that your membership in NEXUS has been disapproved for the following reason(s):You have been convicted and/or arrested for a criminal offenseYou are not eligible to participate in the Trusted Traveler Programs.Information you provided on your application has been found to be false, inaccurate, or incompleteYou are not eligible to participate in the Trusted Traveler Programs.
What made me bummed out here was that the criminal offense was marijuana possession from back in May of 1995. NOT a felony. I also did not falsify my application. I should have, at that time, written the ombudsman, but based on the denial letter, I felt like it was a dead end. And on top of that, I was pretty upset that from May 2017 to September (when I had my interview), they had time to vet. Why did they invite me for an interview in the first place?

Fast forward to today. I am going for an interview tomorrow at a local airport, and not the Detroit/Windsor border for PreCheck, NOT NEXUS. The disqualifying offenses on TSA's site clearly state FELONIES. I don't have any felonies. Am I wasting my time again?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by computerninja
I was denied back in September 2017 at the Detroit/Windsor border patrol office (in Detroit). This is what their reasoning was (in person and in the letter):

What made me bummed out here was that the criminal offense was marijuana possession from back in May of 1995. NOT a felony. I also did not falsify my application. I should have, at that time, written the ombudsman, but based on the denial letter, I felt like it was a dead end. And on top of that, I was pretty upset that from May 2017 to September (when I had my interview), they had time to vet. Why did they invite me for an interview in the first place?

Fast forward to today. I am going for an interview tomorrow at a local airport, and not the Detroit/Windsor border for PreCheck, NOT NEXUS. The disqualifying offenses on TSA's site clearly state FELONIES. I don't have any felonies. Am I wasting my time again?
You are wasting your time if you fail to honestly follow directions. For example, if a question asks about arrest history and you fail to mention a misdemeanor offense because you read somewhere else that they are interested in felonious behavior, then you will jam yourself up.

Good luck..
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy88
I have searched the forums but not much has come up. I was denied Global Entry and on the letter all the reason says is “OTHER”
Unknown risk factor(s)?

It was indeed a dead end. To overcome the denial, you have to overcome practically everything CBP brought up. Regardless if you have falsified the application, your marijuana possession is sufficient enough for the denial standalone.

TSA PreCheck works differently from GE.

A person get GE denied/revoked can still be eligible for PreCheck. However, if a person is PreCheck denied/revoked, you can pretty much be sure that would be the end of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.