Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by therani.arch
Lol, but seriously since this is a federal offense, doing it outside the US shouldn't matter.
It doesn't matter where the offence was committed to the CBP. The fact you committed one does.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by therani.arch
I did admit it but can I write to the CBP Ombudsman telling that I used it outside US ?

Can I write to the CBP Ombudsman telling that I used it outside US ?
Was the drug use only in a country/jurisdiction under conditions where and when it was not a crime for you to use such drug? If so, it may work.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 24, 2019 at 5:57 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are recent reports that Canadian nationals seeking entry to the US are being denied entry when admitting to marijuana usage in places where its use is lawful. If that is the case, it follows that CBP would deny GE on the same basis.

Re-reading the basis of denial, it is not merely that the applicant has violated US law, but that his use of marijuana in general is a reason to deny GE.

If all of your usage is in a place where it is not a violation of any law, then go ahead and try an "appeal" to the Ombudsman. Make it clear when and where the usage occurred and that the usage was not in violation of any law at the time it occurred.

I strongly suspect that this will do you no good, but it is worth the effort to see what comes of it. Additionally, should US policy change at some point soon, you will have made a record to be reconsidered.

As others note, if you cannot make this specific case it is not worth the bandwidth or postage to submit.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Is there a "do you use drugs" question on the GE application then? I only remember a question that went along the lines of "have you been convicted of any criminal offense in the US or any other country?". I cannot think why any sane person would admit to "usage" if there had not been a criminal conviction associated with it and was therefore worried about checks that may be made in other countries. Anyway, I will be amazed if they have any luck.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Is there a "do you use drugs" question on the GE application then? I only remember a question that went along the lines of "have you been convicted of any criminal offense in the US or any other country?". I cannot think why any sane person would admit to "usage" if there had not been a criminal conviction associated with it and was therefore worried about checks that may be made in other countries. Anyway, I will be amazed if they have any luck.
For anyone properly reading the FTer’s post the question about this drug use seemed to come up after conditional approval.

Sometimes CBP employees working at ports of entry ask such questions for travelers with a record of travel to certain destinations. They may then use the “lifestyle” type of question to send people to secondary/Ag, for example. It could be that the CBP employee interviewing a conditionally approved GE applicant asked the question (or a series of “lifestyle” type questions) in person and then used the in-person Q&A as a basis to deny final approval to GE despite the GE applicant having been granted conditional approval and having no record, and no admission, of violating laws anywhere. When that happens, the basis for making an appeal and having it succeed are stronger.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd have to be barking mad to admit to it in a "lifestyle" type of question at any stage of the process if there was no associated offence in any country.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:29 am
Suspended

You'd have to be barking mad to admit to it in a "lifestyle" type of question at any stage of the process if there was no associated offence in any country.
Failure to cooperate with the line of questioning and appearing to be concealing information in response to a standard sort of question asked at ports of entry at times has been grounds to have issues with CBP when it comes to being sent to secondary and when it comes to trying to get from conditional approval to final approval for GE. Just saying that honest answers to some lifestyle questions may enable getting from conditional approval to final approval and that any other kind of response may result in not getting final approval.

Are you recommending that a GE applicant shouldn’t honestly answer asked questions from CBP when really wanting GE membership? What’s that saying: damned if you do, and damned if you don’t. Well, that’s not necessarily the case if the honest answer to the question involves no admission of criminal wrongdoing on the matter. And that can work in the favor of an appeal.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 24, 2018 at 2:38 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back on planet earth, if a CBP person asks me if I have ever smoked marijuana (I haven't so it is a moot point) the answer would be "no". Why not ask "did you ever steal from the church plate?", or "did you ever steal someone's newspaper?", or "did you ever hit someone's car and drive off?", and so on. The answer to all of them would be no and if they find out otherwise then good luck to them. But my lifestyle and what I do in my private time is nothing to do with them so I will not give them the information for them to make a judgement as it could go either way.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:15 am
Suspended

Back on planet earth, if a CBP person asks me if I have ever smoked marijuana (I haven't so it is a moot point) the answer would be "no". Why not ask "did you ever steal from the church plate?", or "did you ever steal someone's newspaper?", or "did you ever hit someone's car and drive off?", and so on. The answer to all of them would be no and if they find out otherwise then good luck to them. But my lifestyle and what I do in my private time is nothing to do with them so I will not give them the information for them to make a judgement as it could go either way.
If they think a lifestyle and what is done in private time is a potential problem in an applicant’s compliance with immigration and customs rules and even some other laws and regulations, then they may think it has to do with them.
747FC likes this.

Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

If they think a lifestyle and what is done in private time is a potential problem in an applicant’s compliance with immigration and customs rules and even some other laws and regulations, then they may think it has to do with them.
They may think that little green men live on Mars, but I won't help them prove it.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:10 am
Suspended

They may think that little green men live on Mars, but I won't help them prove it.
That wouldn’t be my idea of anything to do with a lifestyle type question — but if it’s yours, then it’s yours. Work, recreation, financial and household stuff does come up rather routinely in CBP interactions with applicants for entry (and sometimes even exit) at US ports. CBP asking such lifestyle questions of GE applicants with conditional approval is also something that happens on planet earth. While some of us may wish or think that it’s none of CBP’s business to ask questions about source and use of income/funds, of foreign recreational habits and so on, some CBP employees do make it their business — and they do so at the counters for the masses and at the desks/counters for those seeking a notification for being approved for pearly gate entry via GE kiosks.

Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure you get the point. If not, don't worry.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Advising people to commit a felony, e.g. making a false statement to a CBP Officer, is a bit silly. While there are certainly people who do and can justify it to themselves, making the recommendation without accompanying it with the risks is poor form.

Will anybody likely be prosecuted for this casual lie? Not likely. But, if it happens, one would likely wish to have at least considered it.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Advising people to commit a felony, e.g. making a false statement to a CBP Officer, is a bit silly. While there are certainly people who do and can justify it to themselves, making the recommendation without accompanying it with the risks is poor form.

Will anybody likely be prosecuted for this casual lie? Not likely. But, if it happens, one would likely wish to have at least considered it.
If the admitted marijuana use was just about use outside of the US, then “the truth shall set you free”, and there is no just basis for the USDOJ to prosecute the rejected applicant seeking an appeal.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1

If you're referring to me I didn't advise anyone to lie. I said what I would do, and what I think of people that would answer a question such as that if they had not been convicted of an offense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.