Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: United, Hyatt
Denial

I just got denied for global entry. How do I find out why I got denied? What are the next steps? i know that i can appeal through the website.

I don't even know why I got denied. I just became a US citizen in april , i have visited at least 10 countries over the last 5 years (mostly europe) and I have an idea of why ( i got arrested for driving under the influence 9 years ago but that was reduced to a reckless driving) but i dont know precisely why was my application denied.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by computerguy
I just got denied for global entry. How do I find out why I got denied? What are the next steps? i know that i can appeal through the website.

I don't even know why I got denied. I just became a US citizen in april , i have visited at least 10 countries over the last 5 years (mostly europe) and I have an idea of why ( i got arrested for driving under the influence 9 years ago but that was reduced to a reckless driving) but i dont know precisely why was my application denied.
The system isn't very transparent. But the DUI/Reckless driving charge sounds like a likely reason. People get denied for GE for things like smuggling an undeclared ham and cheese sandwich into the country. A criminal record, even a minor one, even an arrest record that didn't result in charges can be enough to be denied.
computerguy likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: United, Hyatt
Originally Posted by txviking
The system isn't very transparent. But the DUI/Reckless driving charge sounds like a likely reason. People get denied for GE for things like smuggling an undeclared ham and cheese sandwich into the country. A criminal record, even a minor one, even an arrest record that didn't result in charges can be enough to be denied.
thank you for your comment.

I'm going to be coming back from cancun in about a month . Would it be advisable to ask the CBP agent and write my reconsideration request based on that ? my arrest happened 9.5 years ago and i paid my fine accordingly, i was hoping for lenience as it happened a while ago.

I wonder if there is a maximum time that one has before requesting an appeal ? I can't find any relevant information with regards of timelines (i'd submit an FOIA request to know the rejection cause and address properly the appeal)
Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by txviking
But the DUI/Reckless driving charge sounds like a likely reason... A criminal record, even a minor one, even an arrest record that didn't result in charges can be enough to be denied.
That!

We have a specific thread on that subject:
Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by computerguy
I'm going to be coming back from cancun in about a month . Would it be advisable to ask the CBP agent and write my reconsideration request based on that ? my arrest happened 9.5 years ago and i paid my fine accordingly, i was hoping for lenience as it happened a while ago.
CBP is not the agency you look for leniency. Instead, the arresting agency, as well as the prosecution authority, are where you need to look for such.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:02 am

I had a weird one last week. Got my GE re-approved in July. Traveled to the UK on Friday of last week. Came back to the US on Sunday and at GE, the machine kept telling me I didn't have an account. I went to the desk and the agent seemed really confused, needed a supervisor and everything took about 30 minutes. In the end they just said, "looks like everything is good" and let me go.

I logged into my GE account and it says "Revoked". I checked my emails and saw I missed an email from the TTP saying that I had a message that seemed to arrive almost the second I crossed the border into the UK.

Is it possible I crossed the border incorrectly in some way? I used the egates and never talked to anyone and just had a bag with my work clothes in it so I'm really confused at what is happening here. I called the office and they said they'd sent me a letter with the reasoning, but I've yet to receive it.

Anyone else run into anything like this? I'm really confused at what happened here? Also, do I lose my TSA pre in this instance? I'm not traveling internationally for a bit, so no GE isn't a huge issue, but no TSA pre would really suck.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:19 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
2nd renewal for GE for me. I'd applied for renewal in probably July or so. Today, I got notification that my GE was revoked:

"...due to prior Customs or Agriculture violations."

No specifics as to what the violation was, nor when it occurred. But I have never, never ever once been cited, fined, reprimanded, penalized or the like. Ever. Not since my last renewal, not on this current passport nor any of my other (expired) passports--dating back to childhood. (US-born citizen, and by 'other' passports, I do indeed mean m previously-expired ones, I hold no other passports but my single US-issued one).

Once I was sent for a secondary check about 3 years ago, but even then, due to the line, I was waived forward and never really 'inspected', but have never had a violation--I'm sure I'd be aware of one if I actually had one...They'd tell me then and there, right?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by SEAFlyer23
I had a weird one last week. Got my GE re-approved in July. Traveled to the UK on Friday of last week. Came back to the US on Sunday and at GE, the machine kept telling me I didn't have an account. I went to the desk and the agent seemed really confused, needed a supervisor and everything took about 30 minutes. In the end they just said, "looks like everything is good" and let me go.

I logged into my GE account and it says "Revoked". I checked my emails and saw I missed an email from the TTP saying that I had a message that seemed to arrive almost the second I crossed the border into the UK.

Is it possible I crossed the border incorrectly in some way? I used the egates and never talked to anyone and just had a bag with my work clothes in it so I'm really confused at what is happening here. I called the office and they said they'd sent me a letter with the reasoning, but I've yet to receive it.

Anyone else run into anything like this? I'm really confused at what happened here? Also, do I lose my TSA pre in this instance? I'm not traveling internationally for a bit, so no GE isn't a huge issue, but no TSA pre would really suck.

While I don't have a lot of help to offer, I can answer your question about TSA pre. Yes, you will lose precheck. (I'm assuming that you were enjoying the pre-check benefits that come with Global Entry and that you didn't have a separate TSA pre-check approval). I've seen many reports of people who were denied GE getting approved for TSA precheck by applying directly for precheck, so that might be your best option right now if you aren't traveling internationally anyway.
SEAFlyer23 likes this.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Dec 18, 2021 at 9:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by SEAFlyer23

This basic scenario happened to my girlfriend, almost down to the day. She had some error at the eGates (it had trouble reading her passport), but she crossed into the UK without issue after an agent helped. Crossed back into the US without issue in the general line, but same thing - GE machine said her status had been revoked. Lost PreCheck, too, as a result. We submitted a letter to the ombudsman but may apply for Pre in the meantime given thatís the bigger inconvenience (as people say above, Mobile Passport is now just as quick).

If you find out moreÖ please let us know!
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
While I don't have a lot of help to offer, I can answer your question about TSA pre. Yes, you will lose precheck. (I'm assuming that you were enjoying the pre-check benefits that come with Global Entry and that you didn't have a separate TSA pre-check approval). I've seen many reports of people who were denied GE getting approved for TSA precheck by applying directly for precheck, so that might be your best option right now if you aren't traveling internationally anyway.
Yep, I can confirm I did lose my TSA pre. I signed up for CLEAR in the interim, but you still get put in the regular security line where things seem to take 10x as long. Bummer. I did apply for precheck and have an appointment for Wednesday. Hopefully that moves things along fairly quickly.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by btr94
This basic scenario happened to my girlfriend, almost down to the day. She had some error at the eGates (it had trouble reading her passport), but she crossed into the UK without issue after an agent helped. Crossed back into the US without issue in the general line, but same thing - GE machine said her status had been revoked. Lost PreCheck, too, as a result. We submitted a letter to the ombudsman but may apply for Pre in the meantime given thatís the bigger inconvenience (as people say above, Mobile Passport is now just as quick).

If you find out moreÖ please let us know!
Man, that sucks. Did you ever get a letter from GE explaining why it was revoked? I'm not sure how to approach sending a letter to the ombudsman without knowing what I'm really arguing against if that makes sense. I have an interview with TSA pre tomorrow, so hopefully this will solve most things. I'll let you know what I hear. Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:25 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
2nd renewal for GE for me. I'd applied for renewal in probably July or so. Today, I got notification that my GE was revoked:

"...due to prior Customs or Agriculture violations."

No specifics as to what the violation was, nor when it occurred. But I have never, never ever once been cited, fined, reprimanded, penalized or the like. Ever. Not since my last renewal, not on this current passport nor any of my other (expired) passports--dating back to childhood. (US-born citizen, and by 'other' passports, I do indeed mean m previously-expired ones, I hold no other passports but my single US-issued one).

Once I was sent for a secondary check about 3 years ago, but even then, due to the line, I was waived forward and never really 'inspected', but have never had a violation--I'm sure I'd be aware of one if I actually had one...They'd tell me then and there, right?
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Data points:

Not waiting 4-6 month (or longer) to find out why the hiccup with my G.E. And have probably 12 trips coming up in the next few months, so I applied for PreCheck only.

2 days between my appointment and approval with a new KTN number. Went through without a hiccup, and while I know the parameters/scrutiny is considerably less for PRE vs. G.E., nothing in my absolutely clear past (sorry, I have had 3 speeding tix in almost 30 years of driving).

Speaking of new KTNs, I'm guessing they went alphanumeric at some point? I was all numbers with my G.E. but now have more letters than numbers! Hope that eventually I get to carry over/reuse my old number--I have that one memorized--the nonsensical string of numbers and letters now will take me forever to learn. (Probably about the time my G.E. appeal sides with logic and I get that number activated again.)
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Speaking of new KTNs, I'm guessing they went alphanumeric at some point? I was all numbers with my G.E. but now have more letters than numbers! Hope that eventually I get to carry over/reuse my old number--I have that one memorized--the nonsensical string of numbers and letters now will take me forever to learn. (Probably about the time my G.E. appeal sides with logic and I get that number activated again.)
Global Entry, NEXUS and SENTRI use the CBP PASSID as the KTN; it consists of nine digits generally starting with 15, 98 or 99. Standalone TSA PreCheck KTNs will begin with TT, followed by a mixture of seven letters and/or numbers. (source)
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:39 pm

Denied global entry?

My TSA precheck expired this past October and my husband and I decided to apply for Global Entry. I submitted my application in October 2021.

We today I got a notification that my application was denied. I donít understand why though and there is no reason. I donít have any criminal convictions, convictions with customs, etc. I have no criminal history whatsoever! My past a record is squeaky clean. WTH would I be denied? Iím really annoyed about this because Iíve never been in trouble or anything.

What can I do about this? I can apply for reconsideration and submit documents. But since I donít even know why I was denied, what do I submit? Has this happened to anyone and can they please advise me?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Shalar
My TSA precheck expired this past October and my husband and I decided to apply for Global Entry. I submitted my application in October 2021.

We today I got a notification that my application was denied. I don’t understand why though and there is no reason. I don’t have any criminal convictions, convictions with customs, etc. I have no criminal history whatsoever! My past a record is squeaky clean. WTH would I be denied? I’m really annoyed about this because I’ve never been in trouble or anything.

What can I do about this? I can apply for reconsideration and submit documents. But since I don’t even know why I was denied, what do I submit? Has this happened to anyone and can they please advise me?
Welcome to FT. Here is a thread you might want to read through: Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm Reason: Remove circular link after the threads were merged

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.