Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:39 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
I was going the other way (US to Canada, US citizen with NEXUS) and Delta told me that I couldn't fly without a passport. When I've flown to Canada, they've always required me to show my passport before boarding.
Delta's documented policy is "passport required", so they'd be a poor choice of operating carrier if one had to fly US/CA without a passport.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/planning-a-trip/international-travel/traveling-from-the-u-s.html
"A passport is required for ALL international travel." (emphasis in original)
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Delta's documented policy is "passport required", so they'd be a poor choice of operating carrier if one had to fly US/CA without a passport.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...m-the-u-s.html
And yet DL has been flying some passengers internationally to the US and elsewhere this quarter even when the passengers were without a passport. The proverbial devil is always in the details.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CKDGM

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...m-the-u-s.html
When I bought the ticket, I knew I'd have my passport. Then several sets of circumstances (my employer got me a visa which required the passport, and Sandy hit which kept me from getting back to NYC to pick it up) conspired to make life difficult.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:13 pm

Question Flying Scared

Well boys, It's time to revive this thread again. I'm flying Thursday from YVR to LAX, and my passport is in the middle of being renewed as this trip was unexpected. I'll post the results of flying with Nexus only, but I plan to dress my best and take a photocopy of my birth certificate and drivers license, and print out the Air Canada travel document requirements to help if agents insist for my passport.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Justin TrueDank
Well boys, It's time to revive this thread again. I'm flying Thursday from YVR to LAX, and my passport is in the middle of being renewed as this trip was unexpected. I'll post the results of flying with Nexus only, but I plan to dress my best and take a photocopy of my birth certificate and drivers license, and print out the Air Canada travel document requirements to help if agents insist for my passport.
Hopefully you're flying Air Canada?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Hopefully you're flying Air Canada?
Yep. Typing this from the terminal, I made it through easily, though I had an issue scanning nexus at the global entry machine so the guy at customs knew I had no passport. He notified me that the nexus rules require a passport but he let me go as I was a minor when I got nexus and that was ample reason for him to let me through without taking my card from me. I'll have to be careful coming back in to Canada.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
... I'll have to be careful coming back in to Canada.
Coming back to Canada is the easy part since the Nexus kiosk won't even accept a passport.
It spits out your receipt which you give (with entry card) to the CBSA agent as you exit.
Other than "merci and/or bonne journée", I've never even spoken to any CBSA agent when I arrive/enter at YUL.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Yep. Typing this from the terminal, I made it through easily, though I had an issue scanning nexus at the global entry machine so the guy at customs knew I had no passport. He notified me that the nexus rules require a passport but he let me go as I was a minor when I got nexus and that was ample reason for him to let me through without taking my card from me. I'll have to be careful coming back in to Canada.
Is it a regular GE kiosk? If so you can just type your passport# in, scan fingerprints and continue as usual.

If you are US citizen, shouldn't need passport either under WHTI.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:04 am

nexus card ONLY is acceptable for flying to the usa at least on UA

sup apologies for late but very much (imo) useful update

dunno why some people said nexus alone is not permissible for cdn citizens seeking entry into the usa considering ua's own timatic said nexus is ok for travel

ua flt yyciah. day before my flight i hit up yyc. the ats agent working ua checkin at said that nexus is OK provided that you check in online. if through a human this is apparently a huge issue because APIS cannot be manually entered and "the scanners here cannot scan your nexus card".

checked in online, however you cannot select nexus or global entry with the online apis. so i just stuck with my passport info and checked in fine.

showed to the airport, went to a kiosk to print my bagtag. i also tried editing my apis info there but the kiosk wouldn't read my nexus card. so i went thru with the passport info of the passport that i did not have. the exact same agent tagged my bag and was surprised/pleased that it worked. i told her i'm using passport apis info and she said fugetaboutit.

usual global entry treatment from cbp in yyc (chillin', not getting involved, not wearing body armor, polite). wish the canadian border hacks were like that to their own citizens. anyways boarded the flight with my nexus only and ordered a mimosa for my pre-drink.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The NEXUS card is not supposed to be valid for air travel between the US and Canada, a passport is required.

They (Delta) wouldn't even waive that for me when I couldn't get home to get my passport due to Sandy.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phbl
ua flt yyciah. day before my flight i hit up yyc. the ats agent working ua checkin at said that nexus is OK provided that you check in online. if through a human this is apparently a huge issue because APIS cannot be manually entered and "the scanners here cannot scan your nexus card".
This is likely a factor why airline requires passport. Their IT systems can't handle NEXUS as documentation despite passport not required by CBP/CBSA.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And yet DL has been flying some passengers internationally to the US and elsewhere this quarter even when the passengers were without a passport. The proverbial devil is always in the details.
Just because it's the written policy, doesn't mean it's always enforced, and the fact that it's not always enforced doesn't in any way undermine the previous post's statement that DL would be a poor choice of operating carrier for attempting this.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:33 am

just delete this por favor

didn't read right
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought I remembered that when I got NEXUS I was told that a passport is required for air travel. But http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ocs-air-travel says "All U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada, Bermuda, and Mexico departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere at air ports of entry are required to present a valid passport, NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport), Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens traveling on official business), or Military Identification Card (for members of the U.S. armed forces traveling on official orders). Note that children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air." So it might be that the requirements have changed.

In fact, http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...vel-initiative says "What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via air?

U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST);" so it appears that they have.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by sethb
I thought I remembered that when I got NEXUS I was told that a passport is required for air travel. But http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ocs-air-travel says "All U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada, Bermuda, and Mexico departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere at air ports of entry are required to present a valid passport, NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport), Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens traveling on official business), or Military Identification Card (for members of the U.S. armed forces traveling on official orders). Note that children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air." So it might be that the requirements have changed.

In fact, http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...vel-initiative says "What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via air?

U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST);" so it appears that they have.
and then at canadian p.o.e. cbp officers say only nexus is needed

and ua agents in yyc don't care about no passport (cause timatic says it's ok)

gosh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.