Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:50 pm

Porter Gate Agent at EWR Required Passport in addition to NEXUS Card

Had a Porter gate agent refuse to let me board at EWR with my NEXUS card, and was quite rude about it. Had to hold up the line while I dug the passport out of my bag, and of course I look like the bad guy in front of everyone.

Air Canada's NEXUS policy is much clearer and the gate agents are actually educated. I'll be flying with them in the future until Porter sorts themselves out. Which is a shame because flying into YTZ is usually pleasant and convenient.

I made a complaint to Porter regarding this, we'll see if it goes anywhere.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:57 pm

Going EWR to YTZ today, the Porter gate agent rudely refused to let me board with my NEXUS. If I hadn't had my passport with me I'm pretty sure I would have missed my flight. So don't trust Porter when flying with a NEXUS only. Air Canada is fine however, as usual.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:13 pm

Nexus is not valid for international air travel, not sure why you are moaning, as a nexus member you should know that
I recently used nexus as ID to board flight from Bellingham to HNL since I crossed the border by land, but had the flight left from YVR I could not use nexus....
Porter has nothing to do with it
Not sure what AC allows or not, but it is not relevant

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 12:14 pm Reason: readability
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have your answer in the other thread in which you posted. This one won't be any different.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 12:16 pm Reason: readability
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That "answer" is practically incorrect.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 12:17 pm Reason: readability
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:19 pm

It's valid for travel between US and Canada (which it seems the OP was),

For US Citizens,
"U.S. citizens who are members of the NEXUS program can use their membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air or water."
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...c-eng.html#a1a

For Canadian Citizens,
"NEXUS cards are now accepted as proof of identification and to denote citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when entering Canada from the U.S.), or marine ports of entry."
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html#a10

If AC allow it, then obviously "Nexus is not valid for international travel" is an incorrect statement.

For reference, AC clearly state it's OK to use only Nexus card as ID,
"Canadian and U.S. citizens must present either a valid passport or a valid Nexus card when travelling by air between Canada and the United States."
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...eldoc.html#-us

Having said all that, Porter website says that you should still have your passport available at all times,
"Please note that you must still carry your passport at all times."
https://www.flyporter.com/Travel/NEXUS?culture=en-US

So in this case, Porter seem to be following their own rules, and if OP wants to only use Nexus, then AC seems to be the way to travel in future. None of this is an excuse for an agent to be rude however!

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 12:14 pm Reason: readability
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
So the OP wanted to use their Nexus card as proof they have immigration "paperwork" for when they land at YTZ when Porter states they do require seeing passports.

No sympathy from me.
I have Nexus and therefore GE and keep my passport handy whenever traveling in the case that systems are down. AC does not fly to YTZ from the US so their policies will differ.

I like flying PD as I enjoy their little lounge for plane spotting at EWR, their whole system at YTZ and the location of the airport. If they want/need to see I have a passport on me to add to my convenience I'll gladly have it in my pocket/travel bag.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:09 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Also, was it a round trip ticket? EWR immigration isn't going to accept a NEXUS card, and YTZ has no preclearance so you can't use NEXUS to clear US immigration there.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:53 am

I was flying YTZ - EWR round trip. I'd already flew into EWR with a NEXUS pass only, accepted both at check-in and at the gate in Toronto, which is why I will admit one point: I was unaware that Porter official policy is to insist on a passport.

The GE machines do in fact allow you to clear without a passport, or any documentation actually, if you press the button on the screen that says "Trouble reading travel document", then fill out your name and birthdate. It looks you up and you do your fingerprints and you're through just fine and dandy. So I got into the United States just fine with only my NEXUS. The problem arose when trying to leave, as the human element insisted very rudely on a passport only. I believe the exact words were, "NEXUS is Canadian, we don't accept that here in America". I guess that it's issued by the US Government is above their pay grade.

Anyhow, flying from YYZ to EWR on Air Canada I'm able to clear pre-screening with only my NEXUS, I am not asked for a passport by anyone. Likewise, the gate agent explicitly invited everyone to show "a passport OR a NEXUS card" when boarding was announced on the PA.

Flying Can-US on Air Canada from YYZ using only a NEXUS is completely, 100% okay and endorsed by AC, both on their website and in person. I'll be travelling with them in the future.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:22 am

His "answer" was indeed wrong and useless.

To reply to an above question about GE machines and NEXUS though, you can also press the button on the screen that says "Trouble reading travel document". It will then allow you to look yourself up using your first and last names, and birthdate. And it will then take your fingerprints and print your receipt.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:25 am
Suspended

None of this matters. PO states that it requires a passport. Therefore, it requires a passport. OP did not produce his passport. So, he was asked to produce his passort. Had he not, he would not have flown.

If that requirement is a service differentiator for OP, he should fly a carrier which permits Nexus only. E.g., AC.

But, complaining that the GA did his job?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:15 am

If Porter insists on their passengers carrying a passport, it should make that abundantly clear to anyone checking in with a NEXUS, not merely waving them through as happened at YTZ. If I hadn't had my passport with me I would have been "trapped" in the US!

This thread is a warning: Don't expect to fly with only your NEXUS using Porter, they are stuck in the stone age.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended

A better warning: "Don't make assumptions"

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 12:15 pm Reason: readability
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I've flown to and from the US many times with just NEXUS and not have to take out my passport. I've also flown without it.

Your NEXUS also works on Global Entry machines.

Fly a real airline next time. I'd imagine even Westjet would be set up to know basic ID rules flying international because of TIMATIC.

Porter probably doesn't even have IT set up to know entry/exit requirements given their non-jet fleet and limited destinations.
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Also, was it a round trip ticket? EWR immigration isn't going to accept a NEXUS card, and YTZ has no preclearance so you can't use NEXUS to clear US immigration there.
You are wrong.
Originally Posted by doug68
Nexus is not valid for international air travel, not sure why you are moaning, as a nexus member you should know that
I recently used nexus as ID to board flight from Bellingham to HNL since I crossed the border by land, but had the flight left from YVR I could not use nexus....
Porter has nothing to do with it
Not sure what AC allows or not, but it is not relevant
You are wrong as well.

There really is a lot of misinformation out there because the rules were changed and most NEXUS members do not know what they are talking about.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Ari
The bold above is not true. Try your NEXUS card next time; it works in the GE kiosks at Canadian preclearance airports (but not at US airports).
Incorrect information...
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Firstly, airline requirements don't necessarily need to match with customs requirements. So even if CBP/CBSA says a Nexus card is enough, an airline may require a passport for international travel. I've stopped trying to use my Nexus card when checking in - ex-US most check in kiosks won't read them, and agents usually request a passport anyway. Not worth the fight - much easier to just carry a passport.

As for whether CBP/CBSA requires it, I think that's still up for debate for air travel. When randomly sent to secondary, or declaring something and sent there, I've been asked for passport (sometimes, Nexus card also) probably at least half the time. I'd hate to have to have the fight about why I don't need it - truthfully, getting into that argument, whatever the rules specify, the traveller is always the loser. Always.
Not everyone has a choice about not having their passport when they are tied up with embassies for visa processing.

Not everyone is also American who are entitled to get a second passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.