Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:45 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
You are wrong.
[citation needed]

About EWR, or about YTZ?

If I'm wrong about EWR, please explain how EWR Global Entry kiosks are "NEXUS Air" kiosks within the meaning of 22 CFR 53.2(b)(4)(i). See also CBP's WHTI Air document requirements which say "NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport)". The 2014 letter sent to NEXUS members about the change in US preclearance kiosks says "Members entering into the United States, from Canada, can use either their NEXUS card or their registered passport at any of the eight international airports that offer US preclearance. In order to use the GE kiosks located within the United States, NEXUS members must have a valid registered passport on file."

If I'm wrong about YTZ then Porter Airlines, the Port of Toronto, and CBP are all apparently very confused because not one of them claims that YTZ has US preclearance.

Just because a Global Entry kiosk allows looking up travel document information by number or traveler bio information before doing the fingerprint scan, that does not guarantee that the traveler will not get an "X" on their receipt and be sent to secondary. Once there, one may find the CBP officers on duty less than persuaded by arguments about how their interpretation of the WHTI Final Rule is wrong.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by numruk
Had a Porter gate agent refuse to let me board at EWR with my NEXUS card, and was quite rude about it. Had to hold up the line while I dug the passport out of my bag, and of course I look like the bad guy in front of everyone.
Remember that Boy Scout motto - be prepared?

I never travel (even domestically, as one can be re-routed international during IRROPS or have a sudden side trip overseas come up) without passport in pocket. Never know when one might need it.

Although there are rude employees at all airlines, and you may have found one, IME the frequency of people complaining about rude employees exceeds the number of rude employees/rude acts committed by employees.

Give the agents a break -- under paid, over worked, and (often) treated like scum by employer and customers alike -- is a good rule of traveling.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
In order to use the GE kiosks located within the United States, NEXUS members must have a valid registered passport on file.
Does not say that much about showing that passport, though.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ari
The bold above is not true. Try your NEXUS card next time; it works in the GE kiosks at Canadian preclearance airports (but not at US airports).
I have of course been successful several times with my nexus card.

But the question is why the signs on top of the GE kiosks still just cite that one must use a passport; there is no mention of a nexus (or GE) card which can be used at these kiosks.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ari
Spoken like someone who doesn't have to part with his passport often to get visas.

It isn't a fight or argument because they tend to know the rules. Just because they ask for a passport at secondary (probably by rote) doesn't mean you are required to carry one with your NEXUS card.
I am asked, as stated in my previous post, at least 1/2 of the time. I always carry it.

I would like to ask if anyone has successfully been able to get the US officer to let him/her by, after being asked for a passport (when using the GE machines, and the paper does not require secondary screening), and stating he/she does not have it, and stating it is not required.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by puddlejumper081
It's valid for travel between US and Canada (which it seems the OP was),
Confirmed by TIMATIC R9 and destination information
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It seems to depend. I don't know about the OPs nationality. But at least the last link refers to Nexus card being valid for nationals of the USA specifically, but doesn't say anything about Canadian nationals: (bolding mine)

Passport Exemptions:

- Recommended proof of citizenship, issued to nationals of the

USA, such as:
- - US Birth Certificate; or

- US Certificate of Citizenship; or

- US Certificate of Naturalization.

- Holders of a valid on arrival NEXUS Card issued to nationals

of USA
, if residing in the USA or Canada.
Also, that information is what is required by immigration/customs. Again, airlines may use the same requirements, or may be more strict. That's up to them. If Porter requires a passport, then that's their requirement, and it doesn't matter what TIMATIC says.

Personally, even with Nexus, I don't travel by air without my passport with me. That doesn't mean I have to pull it out, but I always have it with me.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
According to the US CBP, Nexus is valid for entry into the US from Canada, if you're leaving from a Canadian airport with pre-clearance.

Document Requirements for Air Travel
All U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada, Bermuda, and Mexico departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere at air ports of entry are required to present a valid passport, NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport)...
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ocs-air-travel
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
If Porter insists on their passengers carrying a passport, it should make that abundantly clear to anyone checking in with a NEXUS, not merely waving them through as happened at YTZ. If I hadn't had my passport with me I would have been "trapped" in the US!

This thread is a warning: Don't expect to fly with only your NEXUS using Porter, they are stuck in the stone age.
Tell you what. Carry only your NEXUS card and next time you get spot checked and don't have a passport, you will be writing on how you were unfairly kicked out of the program. I was recently spot checked at YYZ after using GE. They wanted to see passport and NEXUS card.

This is simple. PD says they want to see a passport those are their rules. You did not want to comply and probably pissed off the GA. If AC will accept NEXUS fly them. But I bet your ticket on AC would have cost you a bunch more than on PD.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:10 am

I was flying YTZ - EWR round trip.
Passport required for an international flight.

Meh, just show your passport and be done with it.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
According to the US CBP, Nexus is valid for entry into the US from Canada, if you're leaving from a Canadian airport with pre-clearance.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ocs-air-travel
There's no such thing as a NEXUS kiosk in US preclearance AFAIK. They're all GE.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
To be honest, I've never really figured out whether you can fly with Nexus alone between the US and Canada or not. There's conflicting information on different webpages. It's definitely not an area where I want to push it.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Yoshi212

No sympathy from me.
I have Nexus and therefore GE and keep my passport handy whenever traveling in the case that systems are down. AC does not fly to YTZ from the US so their policies will differ.
+1 -- we have Sentri/GE down here in San Diego because of our frequent travel in/out of Mexico. Some days my GE or U.S. Passport Card is accepted for air travel in/out of San Diego or Tijuana, and other days they want a passport book. <shrug>
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
+1 -- we have Sentri/GE down here in San Diego because of our frequent travel in/out of Mexico. Some days my GE or U.S. Passport Card is accepted for air travel in/out of San Diego or Tijuana, and other days they want a passport book. <shrug>
US law doesn't permit the common carrier airlines to allow passenger use of GE or US passport cards for US-Mexico/Mexico-US air travel. Very different situation than for NEXUS-using resident US citizens flying between the US and Canada.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:09 pm

United's required documents page has the definitive list straight from the CBP:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/destination/international/passport.aspx

Nexus is fine for both US and Canadian citizens to leave the USA with. A passport is not required.

Last edited by numruk; Mar 23, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.