Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Probably not; I know that under similar circumstances (and being unable to get home due to Sandy) Delta wouldn't let me fly to Canada with a NEXUS card without my passport.

For a definitive answer, ask your airline if they'll let you fly.
ua is not the issue, especially being that i'll check in online and i'll show up to the gate 11 minutes before departure. but cbp is.

Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by phbl
ua is not the issue, especially being that i'll check in online and i'll show up to the gate 11 minutes before departure. but cbp is.
I can assure you that the airline is stricter; if CBP determines that you lack appropriate documents, the airline gets fined. If the airline doesn't fly you when CBP would have admitted you, too bad. You should have had the documents the airline told you to bring.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I always get paged to the podium for a passport check before every flight US to Canada (and vice versa) when I've checked in online. They won't let you board without it. No way around it, AFAIK.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
No. One of the rules of NEXUS is that when traveling by air between the US and Canada is to have your passport. Failure to show your passport on demand is ground to have NEXUS revoked.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:56 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dustman81
No. One of the rules of NEXUS is that when traveling by air between the US and Canada is to have your passport. Failure to show your passport on demand is ground to have NEXUS revoked.
Citation needed.

TIMATIC and both the CBP and CBSA websites say that a NEXUS card is sufficient for US or Canadian citizens when flying into or out of a Canadian airport with US preclearance. Airline policies may be stricter (and I strongly recommend bringing one's passport in any case because it's faster than arguing with the airline agent) but (assuming they are a US and/or CA citizen) the OP has three options: "cross by land and then fly", "don't travel at all until the passport comes back", or "try flying with just NEXUS". (If they're a third country national with residency in the US or Canada, they're out of luck.)

If I were going to fly with just NEXUS for some reason, I'd plan to get to the airport early and come with printouts of all three info sources as backup.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 4:49 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i am a canadian citizen

passport will be in the hands of an undisclosed consulate in a different city.

can i enter the usa by air through the cdn pre clear with just my global entry/nexus card?

cannot find a clear answer to this anywhere.

thanks
You won't find a clear answer on the blogs anywhere because people keep on posting the wrong answer.

The correct answer is YES. You CAN use your NEXUS card only. You are best off flying on Air Canada as they put up the least fight of all the carriers.

The best definitive answer from on official source is here:

Originally Posted by CFR
8 CFR PART 235—INSPECTION OF
PERSONS APPLYING FOR ADMISSION
§ 235.1 Scope of examination.
(e) NEXUS Air Program Participants.
United States citizens, Canadian
citizens, and permanent residents of
Canada who are traveling as participants
in the NEXUS Air program, may
present, in lieu of a passport, a valid
NEXUS Air membership card when
using a NEXUS Air kiosk prior to
entering the United States.
http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/...l_rule_new.pdf

(NEXUS Air is now just NEXUS and NEXUS Air kiosk is now Global Entry kiosk).

Last edited by Ari; Oct 24, 2015 at 4:55 pm
Old Oct 24, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
entering the usa by air with global entry/nexus

UA may or may not be a problem. They have refused Nexus in the past at YYZ. That was when they were UA staff. Doubt the contractors know now would be less strict.

The rules for Nexus also basically require you have a passport anyway, even when using Nexus. The line stating your Necus card is valid also states in conjunction with an automated machine. Nexus/GE is down (I've never seen all machines down, but it has been reported) and you are no longer using a machine. If you declare something or get randomed into secondary, they will likely ask for it there also. My bet would be on privileges being revoked when you tell them you don't have it.

While it is possible you could get through without having to show your passport, I wouldn't count on it. And I would never risk my membership this way.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is the key. OP may not be required to show a passport, but he may be. If he is, he will be denied entry to the US, likely have his TTP revoked and wind up back where he started.

All of that presumes that he is permitted to board in the first place.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Any example of the revocation actually happening for using the NEXUS card while the valid passport is not on-person when traveling cross-border between Canada and the US? I know Halloween is coming up but still.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:51 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
The rules for Nexus also basically require you have a passport anyway, even when using Nexus.
DHS's Trusted Traveler Program comparison chart disagrees; it lists four programs (TSA Pre, Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI) and the only one that requires you to even have a passport is Global Entry.

That's "have at all", not "have with you".

CBP's NEXUS card page says, under Airports/Entering the United States:
When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by sethb
I can assure you that the airline is stricter; if CBP determines that you lack appropriate documents, the airline gets fined. If the airline doesn't fly you when CBP would have admitted you, too bad. You should have had the documents the airline told you to bring.
but its own TIMATIC says GE is sufficient!!!!!!!

also remember i'm going through a canadian pre clearance:
  • you go through a security guard who will let me through with just boarding pass and global entry card
  • cbp
  • (ca)tsa where they only check boarding card and global entry card for its precheck equiv
  • gate
so if i lack documents, they kick me to the curb in yyc and airlines gets no fine.
but yes it is true i am still subject to cbp authority after the plane lands in iah.

i'm not talking nexus. nexus is entry into canada. i am talking global entry. entry into the usa. and yes i am well aware of how much cbsa spazzes out over having both the card and the passport and how the cbp agents tend to say "leme see your passport or global entry, whatever's closest"

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Citation needed.

TIMATIC and both the CBP and CBSA websites say that a NEXUS card is sufficient for US or Canadian citizens when flying into or out of a Canadian airport with US preclearance. Airline policies may be stricter (and I strongly recommend bringing one's passport in any case because it's faster than arguing with the airline agent) but (assuming they are a US and/or CA citizen) the OP has three options: "cross by land and then fly", "don't travel at all until the passport comes back", or "try flying with just NEXUS". (If they're a third country national with residency in the US or Canada, they're out of luck.)

If I were going to fly with just NEXUS for some reason, I'd plan to get to the airport early and come with printouts of all three info sources as backup.
i need your citations here with respect to entering the usa with only global entry card... i cannot find this.

again i'm not flying with just nexus, i'm flying with nexus<>global entry, and this is purely a global entry issue.

Originally Posted by Ari
You won't find a clear answer on the blogs anywhere because people keep on posting the wrong answer.

The correct answer is YES. You CAN use your NEXUS card only. You are best off flying on Air Canada as they put up the least fight of all the carriers.

The best definitive answer from on official source is here:

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/...l_rule_new.pdf

(NEXUS Air is now just NEXUS and NEXUS Air kiosk is now Global Entry kiosk).
THANK YOU.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA may or may not be a problem. They have refused Nexus in the past at YYZ. That was when they were UA staff. Doubt the contractors know now would be less strict.

The rules for Nexus also basically require you have a passport anyway, even when using Nexus. The line stating your Necus card is valid also states in conjunction with an automated machine. Nexus/GE is down (I've never seen all machines down, but it has been reported) and you are no longer using a machine. If you declare something or get randomed into secondary, they will likely ask for it there also. My bet would be on privileges being revoked when you tell them you don't have it.

While it is possible you could get through without having to show your passport, I wouldn't count on it. And I would never risk my membership this way.
Yes you are correct nexus has that stupid passport rule.

but this is not a nexus issue.

it's global entry.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any example of the revocation actually happening for using the NEXUS card while the valid passport is not on-person when traveling cross-border between Canada and the US? I know Halloween is coming up but still.
i've had my nexus/global entry (key here: it was issued by the US government) revoked because of several, uh, personality clashes i've had with cbsaers in secondary. but i never broke the law, and through FOIP requests i found emails from those cbsaers (to the cbp, lol) asking me to be banished due to my "bad attitude". but i did nothing wrong or illegal so i wrote to the ombudsman (cbp) and got it back within a few months.

sadly i wouldn't have the same two legs to stand on if heaven forbid i had my nexus card, iris scanned, and matching picture (my identity proven beyond a reasonable doubt) but no passport when trying to enter the country i was born in . after all it is a regulation

either way this is OT because i'm talking about entering the usa through cbp pre clearance.

Originally Posted by CKDGM
DHS's Trusted Traveler Program comparison chart disagrees; it lists four programs (TSA Pre, Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI) and the only one that requires you to even have a passport is Global Entry.

That's "have at all", not "have with you".

CBP's NEXUS card page says, under Airports/Entering the United States:
this chart is so confusing. obviously i don't need a passport for pre check, but i also don't need one for sentri? therefore i construe this as meaning "have with you", but i also cannot really explain why. fn dhs.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are some airlines that won't allow passenger to fly with just a NEXUS card as the international travel doc for US-Canada cross-border travels. Air Canada, for example, is way less likely to make a fuss over this kind of situation than say Westjet.

IME, US/Canadian carriers seem more paranoid about US and Canadian international travel docs for US-Canada cross border travels than US CBP or CBSA seem to be over the same. Part of that is because the carriers' reps are less familiar with travel docs than CBP/CBSA and because the consequences for the carrier are more material than they are for CBP/CBSA employees with sovereign immunity type cover and union cover.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
I don't know of any, but all it takes is one CBP or CBSA officer to pull the card and then you get to start the odyssey of getting it back.

I'd rather have the passport and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: A few, *G,

IME, US/Canadian carriers seem more paranoid about US and Canadian international travel docs for US-Canada cross border travels than US CBP or CBSA seem to be over the same. Part of that is because the carriers' reps are less familiar with travel docs than CBP/CBSA and because the consequences for the carrier are more material than they are for CBP/CBSA employees with sovereign immunity type cover and union cover.
As the carriers should be. The carriers interpret the rules/regulalations and have zero discretion in either enforcement or allowance over an given situation. It's the interviewing officer, cba or cbsa , that is empowered to act.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I was going the other way (US to Canada, US citizen with NEXUS) and Delta told me that I couldn't fly without a passport. When I've flown to Canada, they've always required me to show my passport before boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.