Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by redadeco
As a Canadian citizen with a permanent residency in the US and Nexus membership, in the past 3 months I crossed the border (BC <> WA) exactly 15 times, by all possible means (air, sea and land) using my Nexus alone (into Canada, Nexus+PR card into the US) and never had a single problem.

At SEA and YVR my Nexus card was accepted by AS and AC gate agents without a problem.

Still I carry my passport at all times, just waiting for that one dumb agent who might ignore the law.
Is there a law requiring airline to accept NEXUS for eligible itineraries?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:25 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
No.

FWIW, UA and AA are YMMV with lots of negative results. AC is very good about NEXUS only. No experience on AS.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No, but it doesn't mean an airline can't be subject to breach of contract claims or even regulatory violation claims for failing to transport ticketed passengers with governmentally-accepted international travel documents.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Nope. When my name was called by the West Jet agent for a document check in Tampa last week I presented my Nexus card. She shoved it back at me and demanded a passport.

I asked if Nexus is sufficient to get me back into Canada why they would need a passport. Gate dragon warned I wouldn't fly if she didn't see a passport.

Every time I fly West Jet it makes me appreciate Air Canada more including Rouge.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: A few, *G,
Originally Posted by CKDGM
When entering the US at a land border crossing from Canada, for US citizens or for Canadian citizens not required to present a visa, it is.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...vel-initiative

Note the or in each case.
I'm not disagreeing with you. My point, that is shared by many IRL and on this board, is a 2nd form of primary travel ID is handy to have in ones possession. If the border guard wants it. It's not like anyone who travels, and had a Nexus, doesn't have a passport or card.

These debates are interesting and somewhat fun on the interweb, but not so much when in the limbo region of a port where the guys with guns can leave you sitting on a bench for hrs and hrs. All the USC quotes won't change their mind, if they don't want to hear it.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:13 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by surreycrv
These debates are interesting and somewhat fun on the interweb, but not so much when in the limbo region of a port where the guys with guns can leave you sitting on a bench for hrs and hrs. All the USC quotes won't change their mind, if they don't want to hear it.
They can also make you wait even if you have a passport, as many travelers can attest.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:16 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Nope. Also, note that Porter doesn't fly to/from a Canadian preclearance airport, so their US-CA itineraries aren't eligible even if their policy permitted flying without a passport (which it doesn't). Arriving passengers at YTZ can use the NEXUS kiosk, though.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Avis First, National Emerald Exec.
As a follow-up, I was able to travel fine with only a Nexus card.

Outbound: YYZ-ORD on UA - no issue. Used Nexus at GE machine in preclearance area.

Inbound SFO-YYZ on AC - no issue.

Of course, I wasn't stopped, and had nothing to declare.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I crossed at Champlain/Lacolle from I-87 in New York to Quebec yesterday via vehicle. Held NEXUS up at the reader, gate came up, stopped to talk to the officer. Asked me
  1. License plate # (and state) of the car I was driving in
  2. Where I was from (town, state)
  3. Purpose of business to Canada. When I said work, he said "tell me more". I told him my profession, where my employer was located, and where the client I was visiting was located.
  4. He asked if I had my work permit on me (which I did, stapled/folded up in my US passport book).
  5. How many days would I be in Canada.

Then it was "have a nice day". However, if I didn't have the work permit on me, I'm not sure he would have let me into Quebec. If you're visiting as a US Citizen for business, I would definitely make sure your work permit is on you when entering Canada by land. And if you have a visa in your passport book, I'd wager the same applies.

I'm guessing the only purpose of going to the NEXUS office with my work permit is to generally avoid hassle when I select business on the NEXUS kiosk when arriving at Canadian airports...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by phltraveler
I crossed at Champlain/Lacolle from I-87 in New York to Quebec yesterday via vehicle. Held NEXUS up at the reader, gate came up, stopped to talk to the officer. Asked me
  1. License plate # (and state) of the car I was driving in
  2. Where I was from (town, state)
  3. Purpose of business to Canada. When I said work, he said "tell me more". I told him my profession, where my employer was located, and where the client I was visiting was located.
  4. He asked if I had my work permit on me (which I did, stapled/folded up in my US passport book).
  5. How many days would I be in Canada.

Then it was "have a nice day". However, if I didn't have the work permit on me, I'm not sure he would have let me into Quebec. If you're visiting as a US Citizen for business, I would definitely make sure your work permit is on you when entering Canada by land. And if you have a visa in your passport book, I'd wager the same applies.

I'm guessing the only purpose of going to the NEXUS office with my work permit is to generally avoid hassle when I select business on the NEXUS kiosk when arriving at Canadian airports...
Going to Canada "for work" and "as a business visitor" are two different things for CBSA and have different documentation requirements (whether it be work permit or signed contract)

Definitely be aware what documentation is required. Even if NEXUS, you should be carrying your supporting documentation.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Ari
You are wrong. Read the CFR and quit fear-mongering.
Even read what both agencies say on their own websites.

Originally Posted by Ari
Airline agents are the main obstacle to NEXUS travelers without a passport.
Yup.

Originally Posted by amw3000
Air Canada always nags me to show my passport at YYZ.
I've never had a problem giving AC my NEXUS when doing only Transborder, in either direction.

Originally Posted by Often1
As to the US: The US requires that you have a passport available for inspection if asked when entering the US by air with a NEXUS card. You weren't asked and likely won't be. But, if you are, your kids won't be boarding their flight. At least they will know before departure because you are departing from a pre-clearance station.

On the return, the US requires that you have a passport in order to depart by air. As there are no exit checks from the US, it would only be the carrier's check which can trip you up.

It's all about your risk tolerance. Are you willing to run the risk of having your kids left behind in Canada in order to save the fees?
<deleted by moderator>

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Are you absolutely sure this is the case with CBSA?

Canada used to specify a Nexus card was enough when used at a Nexus kiosk.. Maybe that's changed, I haven't looked in a while. But based on that, when things are working like they should, it shouldn't be an issue. However, say Nexus kiosks aren't working. An agent can ask to see a passport. Or if you get sent to secondary.

A prime recent example, I came into YYZ at about 12:30am a few weeks ago - my UA flight was an hour and a half late. Traveling with wife and infant daughter - we all have Nexus. Because they can't do an iris scan for the baby, we always have to see an agent. Typically, that's in the crew line who are used to seeing Nexus folks. Well, at that hour, apparently wasn't open. So we have to go in the regular line and hand agent our Nexus cards. The first thing he does is ask for our passports. Based on his reaction to what I would call a minimal protest by me - after explaining why we can't use the kiosk, he couldn't care less. I don't know what would have happened if we didn't have our passports on us.

Honestly, even with Nexus, it would never occur to me that it might be an option to not carry a passport - I just will always have one. YMMV, of course, but the moment an agent asks for a passport, the rules won't matter - you've already lost that one. I honestly don't want to ever try and figure out what might happen if I don't have a passport and its requested by border agents.
It is absolutely the case with CBSA and CBP that you can have a NEXUS card as your sole proof of citizenship when traveling between the two countries. In fact, the CBSA agent we had on her even complained about how NEXUS cards were harder to scan than passports.

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Nexus card for international air travel is only as good as the passport information behind it. If there is any issue with the kiosks or simply you got a new passport and never updated it with Nexus, then CBP/CBSA will swiftly go back to requiring the underlying document: passport booklet. Also, Nexus only creates a presumption of nationality and itself is not considered proof of citizenship. That's one of the reasons why it's a secondary and not primary ID for I-9 and other purposes.
That is incorrect. That was true maybe 7-8 years ago, but the final rules on WHTI and Canada's equivalent clarified that NEXUS is determinative of citizenship.

Originally Posted by JustBreathe
A friend recently had his NEXUS confiscated at a land crossing from BC to the US, and was told it was "because he didn't have his passport."
I'm guessing they were a PR.

Originally Posted by Exitant
Considering you can get NEXUS without even having a passport, that doesn't make any sense.
Actually, you do require a passport to get NEXUS.

Originally Posted by JustBreathe
Sorry all, it'll be several days until I can add more information as I was told the story 2nd hand am an away for several days now. I think he's a permanent resident but not sure.
If a PR, then they were required to carry it.

Originally Posted by Ari
No.

FWIW, UA and AA are YMMV with lots of negative results. AC is very good about NEXUS only. No experience on AS.
Yeah - AC even gives the option of NEXUS only on their website for APIS information. UA and AA are very hesitant, but I did have an AAgent in Canada allow me to travel with my NEXUS only when I had forgotten my passport in a jacket pocket, after some cajoling. That is where I realized the card works on GE machines.

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Nope. Also, note that Porter doesn't fly to/from a Canadian preclearance airport, so their US-CA itineraries aren't eligible even if their policy permitted flying without a passport (which it doesn't). Arriving passengers at YTZ can use the NEXUS kiosk, though.
That isn't accurate, except for YTZ having a NEXUS kiosk. US and Canadian citizens can enter the US or Canada by air using only their NEXUS cards. The US doesn't use NEXUS kiosks anymore, instead relying on GE kiosks for all trusted traveler entries. I, and many others, can confirm that those kiosks accept NEXUS cards instead of a passport.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 15, 2016 at 1:49 pm Reason: Personal exchange
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by N1120A

That isn't accurate, except for YTZ having a NEXUS kiosk. US and Canadian citizens can enter the US or Canada by air using only their NEXUS cards. The US doesn't use NEXUS kiosks anymore, instead relying on GE kiosks for all trusted traveler entries. I, and many others, can confirm that those kiosks accept NEXUS cards instead of a passport.
The problem is you may not be able to use NEXUS taking Porter from YTZ to US because YTZ (currently) is not a CBP preclearance airport. You will clear CBP in US airport (eg EWR) and GE kiosks in US airports don't accept NEXUS; only the GE kiosks in CBP preclearance in Canadian airports accept NEXUS.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
GE kiosks in US airports don't accept NEXUS; only the GE kiosks in CBP preclearance in Canadian airports accept NEXUS.
My Nexus card worked just fine at JFK transiting from South Africa to Toronto.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Badenoch
My Nexus card worked just fine at JFK transiting from South Africa to Toronto.
I guess they didn't program the kiosk to reflect the following policy:

Can I use my NEXUS card at the GE kiosk?

The NEXUS card will be recognized by the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations only. When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card.

You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
CBP at JFK didn't ask to see your passport when you cleared customs?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
For the travel between the US and Canada the Nexus card should be fine... however I'm surprised your cruise line allowed you to board without a passport since you were visiting those Caribbean countries.

Yes, I worked in Canada and commuted from DFW weekly for about a year using only my NEXUS card both directions with never a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.