Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:04 pm

Can I use my Nexus if my Canadian passport is lost?

I have to go to the US twice this month and want to report my passport as lost as I have a Nexus. But I am unsure if my Nexus will still work.

Does Nexus get a notification when your passport is reported as 'lost'?

I will be travelling by land through a Greyhound through the Peace Bridge (Buffalo).

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by CDNjames; Oct 1, 2018 at 9:25 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Welcome to FlyerTalk @CDNjames,

I have merged your question into the relevant thread on this subject. Please review earlier posts for advice and experiences.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: NEXUS
"Can I use my Nexus if my Canadian passport is lost?
I have to go to the US twice this month and want to report my passport as lost as I have a Nexus. But I am unsure if my Nexus will still work. Does Nexus get a notification when your passport is reported as 'lost'? I will be travelling by land through a Greyhound through the Peace Bridge (Buffalo). Does anyone have any experience with this?"

Answer:
Yes, your NEXUS card will continue to work.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
"Can I use my Nexus if my Canadian passport is lost?
I have to go to the US twice this month and want to report my passport as lost as I have a Nexus. But I am unsure if my Nexus will still work. Does Nexus get a notification when your passport is reported as 'lost'? I will be travelling by land through a Greyhound through the Peace Bridge (Buffalo). Does anyone have any experience with this?"

Answer:
Yes, your NEXUS card will continue to work.
I don’t know if this is true or not but if it is true, then there is no point going to an enrollment centre to provide new passport details if prior one expired.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Which airlines allow NEXUS cards to be used for US/Canada travel?

I know United and Air Canada allow the use of NEXUS cards as an ID for the purpose of flying between the US and Canada if you're an American or Canadian citizen (I've seen the kiosks and websites for United and Air Canada giving the option to choose either a passport or NEXUS card), and I'm wondering which other airlines allow them (or don't) for flying between the two countries.

I ask because it seems like Porter Airlines requires a passport while but Air Canada seems fine with NEXUS as an alternative to a passport.

Edit: I probably should've posted this in Trusted Travelers but I thought it might be broad enough for traveling to Canada that it might work in this subforum.

Last edited by Nayef; Jul 4, 2019 at 7:36 pm Reason: added details and links
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:23 am

The Nexus card is a WHTI-compliant ID card. It should be accepted for cross-border travel.

All airlines should accept this piece of ID, but technically we are still obliged to have a passport on us and airline staff is allowed to verify if we have the passport with us (because they are on the hook if we don't have one and get stuck at the border). If the staff feels it's faster to simply ask for the passport at the gate, instead of asking for both, that's (de facto) within their right.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Miles & More
UPDATE: just received intelligence that, once again, passport-free air travel Canada -> US is only possible on pre-cleared flights.

At the same time, I've learnt, from reading on Flyertalk, that the CBP and CBSA are <redacted by moderator> insisting you MUST have a passport as a Canadian/US citizen with a valid NEXUS card. I also called various CBP preclearance checkpoints and got that misinformation from half of the officers.

This is what the CBP head of Trusted Traveller Programs wrote the other day:
Dear Sir,
Thank you forwarding your NEXUS inquiry. I can confirm that U.S. and Canadian NEXUS members may use the NEXUS card in lieu of a passport when arriving in the U.S. by air only when they are arriving on a pre-cleared flight.
We are engaged with TIMATIC to update the posted information:
So that's it folks, Canadian/US citizens with a valid NEXUS card do NOT need a passport for air travel Canada <-> US, though going Canada -> US, this only applies if undergoing preclearance.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 29, 2019 at 3:51 pm Reason: Derisive gross generalization
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Crazydre
UPDATE: just received intelligence that, once again, passport-free air travel Canada -> US is only possible on pre-cleared flights.

At the same time, I've learnt, from reading on Flyertalk, that the CBP and CBSA are <redacted by moderator> insisting you MUST have a passport as a Canadian/US citizen with a valid NEXUS card. I also called various CBP preclearance checkpoints and got that misinformation from half of the officers.

So that's it folks, Canadian/US citizens with a valid NEXUS card do NOT need a passport for air travel Canada <-> US, though going Canada -> US, this only applies if undergoing preclearance.
Had no issue on recent non preclearance flight with DL YVR-ATL. (It leaves after preclearance closes) Only issue is that the GE machine at ATL wont read the card. Thus you need to know your passport number. You then activate by looking up passport manually using passport number.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:15 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Crazydre

That is consistent with CFR concerning passport exemption in effect since 2007.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Had no issue on recent non preclearance flight with DL YVR-ATL. (It leaves after preclearance closes) Only issue is that the GE machine at ATL wont read the card. Thus you need to know your passport number. You then activate by looking up passport manually using passport number.
Technically against regulation if you didn’t have passport with you.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
That is consistent with CFR concerning passport exemption in effect since 2007.

Technically against regulation if you didn’t have passport with you.
Not per the CBP agent. I've even written in to ask, and was not given/told of any such restrictions. Per the agent only issue is activating machine. What CFR are you talking about?

Note the following
Originally Posted by US CBP WEBSITE

US CBP NEXUS WEBSITE
All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from Canada. Please be advised that if arriving in the United States on a flight not pre-cleared by the CBP in Canada, Global entry kiosks cannot be used by passengers only holding a NEXUS card, and the regular inspection lanes have to be used.

You are allowed to enter using only Nexus, even when not preclearing. You are supposed to use regular lanes. However you can activate GE machine if you know your passport number.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 14, 2019 at 7:39 am
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Member

Not per the CBP agent. I've even written in to ask, and was not given/told of any such restrictions. Per the agent only issue is activating machine. What CFR are you talking about?

Note the following

You are allowed to enter using only Nexus, even when not preclearing. You are supposed to use regular lanes. However you can activate GE machine if you know your passport number.
22 CFR § 41.2 (a)(1) for Canadian
22 CFR § 53.2 (b)(4)(a) for American

The passport exemption applies when presenting a NEXUS card when using a NEXUS Air kiosk (NEXUS Air kiosk only at preclearance sites). The passport exemption also applies if entering by land or sea with a NEXUS card (without having to use a kiosk).

Regulation and enforcement in practice are two different things thus I mention technically against regulation.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

22 CFR § 41.2 (a)(1) for Canadian
22 CFR § 53.2 (b)(4)(a) for American

The passport exemption applies when presenting a NEXUS card when using a NEXUS Air kiosk (NEXUS Air kiosk only at preclearance sites). The passport exemption also applies if entering by land or sea with a NEXUS card (without having to use a kiosk).

Regulation and enforcement in practice are two different things thus I mention technically against regulation.
Theres a section further down that gives the HS Secretary authority to make determinations allowing exceptions to the requirement to have passport.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:08 am
Original Member

Theres a section further down that gives the HS Secretary authority to make determinations allowing exceptions to the requirement to have passport.
Unless you have such exemption from the Secretary, your experience is likely due to a uniformed CBP official as CFR and what Crazydre posted as written response from CBP are in agreement.

If the Secretary did allow for a blanket exception, the department would have updated the associated CFR to begin with.

Let’s say you repeat the same and the next CBP officer decide to revoke your Trusted Traveler status, what will be your defense other than I was let in during last time and refer to some waiver that may or may not exist.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 14, 2019 at 11:14 am
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Unless you have such exemption from the Secretary, your experience is likely due to a uniformed CBP official as CFR and what Crazydre posted as written response from CBP are in agreement.

If the Secretary did allow for a blanket exception, the department would have updated the associated CFR to begin with.

Let’s say you repeat the same and the next CBP officer decide to revoke your Trusted Traveler status, what will be your defense other than I was let in during last time and refer to some waiver that may or may not exist.
No. They dont need to update the CFR. The secretary exemption doesnt have to go through rule publishing for the exemption to be valid. If that section wasnt there, then yes would need to go through rule making. I get you think the law is simple and straight forward. However it's not as straightforward as simply reading section of CFR and saying that's it.

My defense would be that CBP on their own website states that one can use Nexus at non-preclearance airports. The only rule the Nexus program has, is that you must fly direct from Canada to US in order to only fly with Nexus.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Member

No. They dont need to update the CFR. The secretary exemption doesnt have to go through rule publishing for the exemption to be valid. If that section wasnt there, then yes would need to go through rule making. I get you think the law is simple and straight forward. However it's not as straightforward as simply reading section of CFR and saying that's it.

My defense would be that CBP on their own website states that one can use Nexus at non-preclearance airports. The only rule the Nexus program has, is that you must fly direct from Canada to US in order to only fly with Nexus.
The CBP page you quoted is from 2018.

Whereas...
The following two CBP pages are from 2019 and state passport is required if not precleared.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...port%20regular

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ular/related/1

CFR (listed in prior posts) states passport required if not precleared.

TIMATIC states passport required if not precleared.

I rest my case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.