Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:58 pm

I believe previously the page said Nexus card holders were only passport exempt from pre-clearance airports. Good luck getting an airline to let you use it elsewhere.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Do some Canadian airports have US service not at a Preclerance location? I imagine they would be a very small minority.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:01 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iamflyer
I believe previously the page said Nexus card holders were only passport exempt from pre-clearance airports. Good luck getting an airline to let you use it elsewhere.
Airlines were always the obstacle. I assume most people with NEXUS now have a passport (you used to be able to get it with just a birth certificate, but that might have changed now).
Old May 1, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by seawolf
Do some Canadian airports have US service not at a Preclerance location? I imagine they would be a very small minority.
As of 2018-05-01: YQB, YTZ, YYJ, YQG and SK Airports are the first that come to mind...
Old May 8, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by Ari
Airlines were always the obstacle. I assume most people with NEXUS now have a passport (you used to be able to get it with just a birth certificate, but that might have changed now).
You still can use a birth/citizenship/naturalization certificate to get NEXUS

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Airlines aren't the problem (except Porter); ground handling companies are

Indeed, the CBP site used to say you ahd to use preclearance, and I'm the one who saw to it that it was updated (there's an Information Correction Form) using TIMATIC along with a message from my TIMATIC contact as evidence. In fact; the new phrasing is mine and they literally copied it.

Last edited by Crazydre; May 8, 2018 at 9:24 am
Old May 20, 2018, 8:02 pm

Conditions for using NEXUS card alone at US immigration (non-precleared)

Since autumn 2017, US and Canadian citizens can enter the US by air directly from Canada with only a NEXUS card (i.e. without a passport) even if clearing immigration at a US airport.
(it used to be the case that this was only possible when using preclearance).

IATA's TIMATIC database has the following comment on this:
Nationals of Canada with [only] a NEXUS Card embarking in Canada in a non-USCBP pre-cleared flight must clear US immigration via the normal inspection lines. The use of Global Entry kiosk is not possible.
For clarification, I'd like to know the following:
  1. Does that mean US citizens can use Global Entry with only a NEXUS card?
  2. Does "the normal inspection lines" include APC? At many airports, it is now signposted as the default for US and Canadian citizens. Can it be used with a NEXUS card? If it varies between US and Canadian citizens, what applies to each?
Old May 20, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by Crazydre
Since autumn 2017, US and Canadian citizens can enter the US by air directly from Canada with only a NEXUS card (i.e. without a passport) even if clearing immigration at a US airport.

RE: Since GE kiosks in non-Canadian preclearance locations (like US airports) don’t accept Nexus cards, then no.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Member

2. Does "the normal inspection lines" include APC? At many airports, it is now signposted as the default for US and Canadian citizens. Can it be used with a NEXUS card? If it varies between US and Canadian citizens, what applies to each?
Not sure what context why these questions are being asked. Perhaps you can clarify.

Can a GE kiosk on US soil be a activated with NEXUS card? Probably. Then again they can also be activated with no travel document and simply by a lookup by name/DOB or passport #. But that does not translate to you can travel without said document.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:39 am

Not sure what context why these questions are being asked. Perhaps you can clarify.

Can a GE kiosk on US soil be a activated with NEXUS card? Probably. Then again they can also be activated with no travel document and simply by a lookup by name/DOB or passport #. But that does not translate to you can travel without said document.
Strange. All I know is that apparently, regulations require Canadians without a passport to use "normal inspection lanes" rather than Global entry. Hence my questions

Not sure what context why these questions are being asked.
I'm trying to understand the conditions of entering at a US airport with only NEXUS

Last edited by Crazydre; May 21, 2018 at 9:02 am
Old May 21, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Member

My understanding as well of 22 CFR 41.2 (a).
Old May 21, 2018, 8:59 am

My understanding as well of 22 CFR 41.2 (a).
That's from 2009, when preclearance was a requirement to travel passport-free by air
Old May 23, 2018, 12:45 pm

OK, TIMATIC's been updated, so the answer to question 1 is: neither US nor Canadian citizens can use Global entry at a US Airport with only a NEXUS card, but have to use the "normal inspection lines"

Regarding APC, I have yet to receive clarification on this.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:33 pm
Original Member

That's from 2009, when preclearance was a requirement to travel passport-free by air
CFR is a "living" document; it doesn't matter when last updated date is as it reflects what the current regulations in effect are.

OK, TIMATIC's been updated, so the answer to question 1 is: neither US nor Canadian citizens can use Global entry at a US Airport with only a NEXUS card, but have to use the "normal inspection lines"

Regarding APC, I have yet to receive clarification on this.
APC is operated by a passport. As indicated earlier regarding GE kiosk activated by NEXUS card, even if by some chance APC is activated by NEXUS card, it does not mean it is allowed because it does not meet any of the passport waivers scenarios documented in 22 CFR 41.2 (a). I suspect TIMATIC could be incorrect.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:45 pm

APC is operated by a passport.
It can also be used with a green card (and contrary to popular belief, green card holders do NOT need a passport whatsoever to enter the US, no matter where they're flying from)

Regarding the former preclearance requirement, I asked my TIMATIC contact about this, and he doubled-checked with the government subject matter experts in the US supplying all info to them. They maintained that the requirement has been abolished, and the CBP website was partially updated to reflect this when I sent an information correction request citing TIMATIC
Old May 25, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Member

LPR have a passport exemption under 8 CFR 211.4.

Without a CFR to back it up, there is a risk of running afoul NEXUS rules and/or be inadmissible (if not US citizen/LPR) flying into US at non-Preclearance location with only a NEXUS card. But that’s assuming airline allow boarding to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.