Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by andrewsheehan
Hi All,

I've read a couple of threads on this topic, but the responses to seem to contradict each other, and would greatly appreciate any guidance.

<snip>
@andrewsheehan;

I've merged your question into the encyclopedic thread on this issue. The responses contradict each other because people have had mixed experiences while traveling with NEXUS cards and without their passports.

It seems that the surest way is to cross the border at land crossings.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Hi All,

I've read a couple of threads on this topic, but the responses to seem to contradict each other, and would greatly appreciate any guidance.

My Situation:

I am an American, Canadian Permanent Resident, and I have NEXUS. My US (and only) passport is currently in the UK waiting for a visa to be stamped on it.

I have a flight back to IAH scheduled for this Friday the 30th, and it is looking very doubtful that my passport will be back in time. As I understand the rules, I need to have my NEXUS card and passport to enter the US, but I can re-enter Canada solely using the NEXUS card.

I understand that I can enter the US on land using the NEXUS card only. My plan is just adjust my flight schedule to BUF-ORD-IAH, then IAH-YYZ. I'll cross the border and stay the night in BUF on the way out, and return directly from Houston to Toronto.

Is this feasible? It's a very weird feeling to be stuck in a foreign country w/o a passport.

Thanks so much for any advice!
Under the rules, you are allowed to enter Canada, from anywhere, with only your NEXUS card. Further, you are allowed to enter the US, from Canada, with only your NEXUS card. Most airline agents don't know this. Some CBP agents don't know this. The kiosks know this. I'd avoid checking bags out of Canada if you are flying with NEXUS only, as there is a 90% chance you get an uneducated airline CSR if not flying AC and probably a 50% chance you get an uneducated CBP agent at the camera booth.

That said, if you use BUF, you shouldn't have any issue at all.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:38 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
Further, you are allowed to enter the US, from Canada, with only your NEXUS card. Most airline agents don't know this. Some CBP agents don't know this. The kiosks know this.
Note that using NEXUS alone for air travel from Canada to the US requires that you be flying out of a preclearance airport; in particular, YTZ is not an option. As noted, the safest bet is to cross on land and fly from a US airport.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Just a reminder, in order to fly with only a Nexus card you have to have registered your iris scan at a Nexus office.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rubesl
Just a reminder, in order to fly with only a Nexus card you have to have registered your iris scan at a Nexus office.
That's not true. The biggest issue will be with clueless US airline check-in or gate agents who may not even know what Nexus is. A check-in or gate agent isn't going to know or care whether you have an iris scan on file or not.

As for customs, you wouldn't be able to use the Nexus kiosks entering Canada (since they rely on iris scans), just enter in the regular lanes. CBP Global Entry kiosks don't recognize Nexus cards regardless of whether you have an iris scan on file. You'll need to go to regular lanes and present your docs and Nexus card as you would your passport. At that point, CBP agents don't care whether you have an iris scan on file.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Note that using NEXUS alone for air travel from Canada to the US requires that you be flying out of a preclearance airport; in particular, YTZ is not an option. As noted, the safest bet is to cross on land and fly from a US airport.
Okay so this is where I get confused. I am booked on an AC flight, this Friday, YYZ-IAH. Are you saying that I can travel on this flight using Nexus only? I thought that the GE kiosks require a passport to scan?

I'd much rather keep my original itinerary if possible, than go through BUF.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Okay so this is where I get confused. I am booked on an AC flight, this Friday, YYZ-IAH. Are you saying that I can travel on this flight using Nexus only? I thought that the GE kiosks require a passport to scan? I'd much rather keep my original itinerary if possible, than go through BUF.
Thanks for any help.
Just posted above. Yes, Nexus only is fine. CBP Global Entry kiosks don't recognize Nexus cards so you'd just need to go to regular lanes and present your docs and Nexus card as you would your passport. This is how it worked for me at YUL PreClearance when my passport was at some embassy for a visa.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by SFO777
Just posted above. Yes, Nexus only is fine. CBP Global Entry kiosks don't recognize Nexus cards so you'd just need to go to regular lanes and present your docs and Nexus card as you would your passport. This is how it worked for me at YUL PreClearance when my passport was at some embassy for a visa.
What? CBP Global Entry kiosks at Canadian Preclearance locations ACCEPT Nexus cards together with fingerprints on file, therefore a passport should not be needed if you are a U.S. citizen (based on what the last CBP agent told me at YUL).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
Originally Posted by greglvnv
What? CBP Global Entry kiosks at Canadian Preclearance locations ACCEPT Nexus cards together with fingerprints on file, therefore a passport should not be needed if you are a U.S. citizen (based on what the last CBP agent told me at YUL).
Agreed. On webpage https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ams/nexus/card , the CBP writes:

When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
That's not true. The biggest issue will be with clueless US airline check-in or gate agents who may not even know what Nexus is. A check-in or gate agent isn't going to know or care whether you have an iris scan on file or not.

As for customs, you wouldn't be able to use the Nexus kiosks entering Canada (since they rely on iris scans), just enter in the regular lanes. CBP Global Entry kiosks don't recognize Nexus cards regardless of whether you have an iris scan on file. You'll need to go to regular lanes and present your docs and Nexus card as you would your passport. At that point, CBP agents don't care whether you have an iris scan on file.
Let's review NEXUS procedures:
  • Entering Canada by air - NEXUS kiosk requires iris scan. If no iris scan but have NO IRIS sticker, use CBSA special services. If no iris scan and do not have a NO IRIS sticker, you may be able to use CBSA special services. YMMV.
  • Entering Canada by land (no IRIS scan required) - Use NEXUS lanes if all occupants are NEXUS members. Traffic light above NEXUS lane might be lit RED but if nothing blocking the lane, it is open for NEXUS members. Some NEXUS lanes might not be staffed but there should a call button for you to ring once you pull up to the booth. CBSA will then clear you remotely via CCTV and mic/speaker.
  • Entering US by land (no IRIS scan required) - Use NEXUS lanes if all occupants are NEXUS (or Trusted Traveler) members. Only exception is AFAIK is Whirlpool Bridge which is exclusively NEXUS ONLY; no other Trusted Travelers. NEXUS card members can also use Ready lane.
  • Entering US by air via Canada Preclearance (no IRIS scan required but fingerprint must be on file) - NEXUS card or passport will work on CBP kiosks. Nothing different with YUL.
  • Entering US by air not via Canada Preclearance (no IRIS scan required but fingerprint must be on file) - Officially CBP GE kiosk at non-Canadian Preclearance locations will require passport but there have been reports they also recognize NEXUS card. Proceed at your own risk if using NEXUS. Not recommended.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by mistermap
Agreed. On webpage https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ams/nexus/card , the CBP writes:

When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
I used my NEXUS card at a Global Entry kiosk in YVR less than two weeks ago. It would not read my NEXUS card. I had to use my U.S. Passport.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

That isn't true. GE kiosks DO read NEXUS cards at all preclearance airports. In fact, I have successfully used it at US-based GE kiosks on flights from Canada (which I believe is how they are supposed to work).

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I used my NEXUS card at a Global Entry kiosk in YVR less than two weeks ago. It would not read my NEXUS card. I had to use my U.S. Passport.
Did it give you an error, or did it just not read it? Cause I always use my NEXUS card at Canadian airports, and fly through them nearly weekly.

If it wasn't reading it, try turning it upside down (top of your head on your photo toward you). It reads better that way.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
That isn't true. GE kiosks DO read NEXUS cards at all preclearance airports. In fact, I have successfully used it at US-based GE kiosks on flights from Canada (which I believe is how they are supposed to work).

Did it give you an error, or did it just not read it? Cause I always use my NEXUS card at Canadian airports, and fly through them nearly weekly.

If it wasn't reading it, try turning it upside down (top of your head on your photo toward you). It reads better that way.
It did not read, not an error message. Next time I will turn it upside down and see.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
It did not read, not an error message. Next time I will turn it upside down and see.
You can also manually type in the nexus card details.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
You can also manually type in the nexus card details.
Thank you for your suggestion. I shall try it next time, if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.